Cyclone designs.... I really liked this video

Another cyclone calculator, one that I wrote. Y’all are welcome to play with it. Based on Max’s formulas and Dr Tom Reed’s book.

How it works: Put in your engine specs on a new line. Everything is metric except dimensions are in inches. It will tell you:

(given HP, efficiency, RPM, and liters displacement)

• Cold gas flow (liters/second)
  • Cold gas flow (m3/hr)
  • Hot gas flow (m3/hr) at given temp
  • Calculated HP on wood
  • Calculated KW on wood
  • Cooler surface needed (sq m)
  • Pipe velocity (given pipe dia and # of pipes)

(Given diameter and # of cyclones)

• Cyclone inlet velocity (m/s)
  • Cyclone dimensions (inches)
  • Cyclone pressure drop (in wc)

Only edit the white cells in the sheet, the grey or colored ones are calculated. On some, the background color changes to indicate a “good” value. Green = good, orange = bad.

10 Likes

Thanks for the extra cyclone chart chris, Looks like your calculator is saying about 4" diameter cyclone by 16" long for 100 hp engine. 2" pluming.?

2 Likes

A pair of them, yes.

2 Likes

Thanks chris for the designs build thoughts, are they hooked one intoo the next one serries or parrelel of some form.

1 Like

All the cyclones would be in parallel. No advantage to running them in series.

1 Like

Just found this document, Cyclones and Inertial Separators: (https://uw.instructure.com/courses/881644/files/25914702/download?verifier=j3tGm43lM54RtJ4w305XKkmGWSaGcGyydsWcmAEe&wrap=1)
Which says,
“Units in parallel provide increased volumetric capacity while units in series provide increased removal efficiency.”
I wonder if anyone has experience with cyclones in series vs. several in parallel?

1 Like

Hi Chris
I looked at your charts but I don’t know how to read them.
You have one for 318 at 2000 rpm but for 2 cyclones. how do I calculate the chart for 1 cyclone.
I am totally lost on the chart.

1 Like

Hi Jim,

Just change the numbers in the cells to whatever you want. Only change the white background ones, the gray and colored ones are calculated. So, if you want to have one cyclone, change the column with number of cyclones from 2 to 1. That will be too small, so you’ll have to increase the diameter of the cyclone to compensate.

My cyclone and test. 3.25" by 15" plus the storage section.by 4.75" 14 pounds each tested 90% efficency No ash in vac bucket after test.?. Allso the cyclone farthest from the shop vac collected 20% more ash than the close one while hooked up in serries.toltal ash in cyclones 1&1/2 gallons.

lost 10% or so too past vacuem air filter, though i could not see any dust flying while testing.Hooked in serries it went from 75% one filter too 90% two filters.Thanks too Mart Hale and the DOW for all the cyclone answered questains, i now have working cyclones from less.How ever i will miss the nice cool Wayne Keith heat exchangers compared too the cyclones, weight being the factor on little vehicles. I allmost should have settled for one cyclone as most of the small vehicle projects.

10 Likes