Diesel to woodgas

A post was merged into an existing topic: Trillion Gasifiers

So I am experimenting with an oil drip system to prevent tar build up on the intake valve. 95% of the time I dont have an issue. But there is still that 5%, so to prevent this 5% from causing the head ache of a sticky intake valve, I thought of creating this drip system using waste engine oil. So two birds with one stone. However, I am trying different mixtures with the oil to thin it out and also make it last longer. The idea is just before shut down, you open the needle valve and fog the engine for 5 to 10 minutes. I wont say works at this stage as Im still testing and still too little time into it to say for certain. Every time I say something like that its not second later after I hit the reply button it proves me wrong. lol

Ok so Ill tell what I do know and why Im posting here. So I have a small tank with a needle valve to trickle in this oil mixture. Right now I am running mixture of oil, kerosene and lacquer thinner. When I run this and start to meter it in, I see my automixer system respond to it. As I trickle it in the mixture become richer and the valve opens up. The more open this valve the more power I have (generally).

So the physics;; this does not simply trickle in, as there is vacuum on this. My thinking is to add a fixed vent or an additional needle valve to the inlet to allow air in to mix with the oil; while taking off the vacuum pressure. Basically I have a gravity fed carburetor in a very simply form. With this vented then the air fuel mixture should form some what of a spray.

If this works, then theoretically you could run diesel along with the wood gas full time. you could even set it up so there is a solenoid valve that could open once fired up. Use the oil pressure switch to activate this. However, this would not be a diesel conversion, more like a spark ignition to diesel boosted woodgas conversion. But you are not limited to just diesel, oil, ethanol, kerosene, veggy oil etc I think can all be made to work.

4 Likes

Sounds interesting matt rider, i am sure you can add some tuneing tricks too oil drip gasifier fuel additive features.Or gismos too make useing otherwize waiste oil work Good. I will be tuned in as it makes extra power for many uses. PS just getting the air mixture automatic ajusting, and not too rich on the compression preasure. ? COOL SCHIENCE.

2 Likes

I remember reading a blast from the past article that stated some people would remove the oil valve seal to allow oil to be added.

4 Likes

So far so good, Ive been running this system every day that I have run the gasifier and no issues. This does not mean this is a 100% yet it could just be the gasser is behaving and operator is doing a good job at operating the machine :slight_smile:

I do need to refine it a bit though or at least seal up my carburetor better. If I give it too much It is bypassing the carb gaskets and dripping all over the ground.

The next iteration Ill probably move this over to my thread.

Hi Matt , i was just giving your idea some thought and wondered if you could reduce the main jet in the carb by say 50% or more and then use the fuel solenoid on a timer to give the engine bursts of your thinned down mixture , that would then save having to drip as you could use the carburetor in a sort of conventional way maybe 1 sec on 2 secs off type of thing .
Dave

1 Like

Yes those are my thoughts too. It would be cool to just use the stock tank and dump anything in there.

I like running in this hybrid mode too, it gives me extra power. I will be testing to see if the genny can run the CNC machine along with the air compressor here soon. Before it could not run both, this is my only restriction running on wood gas. I can run everything else but it just cant run both the CNC machine and the Air compressor at the same time. When the compressor kicks on it pulls the genny down too far and the plasma cutter will shut off.

3 Likes