Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

I had one years ago, ran the daylights out of it, 6 x 6volts, than replaced with 3 x 12volt deep cycle. Run 'um till they quit, charge and repeat.

Ran across this the other day, for our bathroom. Might work for a battery “mat.”

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quiet-Warmth-1-5x10-ft-x-0-016-in-120-Volt-Radiant-Heat-Film-Floor-Heating-/221963620959?hash=item33ae10125f:g:xQAAAOSwfZ1WZ1j-

3 Likes

I definitely like that Carl. I better look up specs first and see what kind of wattage it consumes. I think if I can get these batteries back to a decent temp, they may stay warm just by charge and discharging

2 Likes

Good morning Bill .

I really admire you folks up north being able to function in those cold temps. Down here any weather below 45-50 F we try to put any outside work on hold for a day or two. .

Last Thursday and Friday the temps were up in the mid 60s and really got a lot of work done. I was able to sweat a little. I don’t understand why but I always feel a little better after I have done a little sweating .:slightly_smiling:

6 Likes

Bill - I think it is pretty important to get your batteries unfrozen. From what I have read, that can be really bad for them. Hopefully, you will be able to save them.

The first winter that I had my solar setup, I had a similar problem. When it got cold down here (by cold, I mean less than 20 F) my battery capacity would drop so much that it wouldn’t run my primary systems all night (which included a propane furnace in the camper).

My solution was to install the batteries in an old deep freeze. You can pick these up (often for free) from appliance stores and appliance repair places. I then located my charge controller inside the freezer with the batteries. It produced enough waste heat to keep it a balmy 70F during the day, and above freezing over night.

I think the best long term solution would be a “battery basement.” Once you dig down to a certain depth, earth temperature is more or less constant year around. You can look on the Internet to determine what that temperature is in your area (probably around 55F)- I would dig a small well insulated pit that is sealed pretty tight, with plenty of insulation on top, and just enough of a vent to prevent dangerous hydrogen buildup.

2 Likes

I don’t mind sweating… but when it’s really cold sweating isn’t your friend.

4 Likes

Wayne amoung my friends, I’m considered a wuss when it comes to the cold. I like to be comfortable in 75-80°. Thank goodness there are insulated Carharts. If I sleep longer than 5 hours when it’s -20°, one is subjected to wake up ant see their breath. Makes it hard for me to drag my butt out from under the 3 heavy quilts on our bed.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input Kyle.
A few problems with an underground basement. Big rocks, clay and ground water. I dug down and hit ground water just a few feet below the surface where the house is. The frost line dips to 5’.
My plan is to build a bathroom/utility room. I will house the battery bank in there and vent the off gases directly to the outside. I just need to get through the next couple of months.

5 Likes

Bill - I see what you mean. I like the battery basement idea because it is totally passive and doesn’t use any energy. But that is not always going to be practical (as in your case).

Failing that, I think something along the lines of the deep freeze idea is the best solution (or some sort of well insulated custom box that conforms closely to the size of the battery array). Then, you can use some small amount of active heating (or, even better, waste heat) to keep the batteries up to temperature.

I would probably do that even if I had my batteries in an unheated garage or utility shed.

Of course, if energy usage is not an issue, or you have an appropriate place, then placing the batteries in a heated room would work fine, and is the simplest solution.

2 Likes

Great discussion guys.
Shows how where you are. And how you live affects . . . well . . . everything.

Remember: One size “fits-all” solutions, fits most; poorly.
Steve Unruh

2 Likes

Hang in there Bill. The thermometer is on it’s way up in the next week or so. TomC

4 Likes

Yes Steve I try and look for people’s location in their profile when considering their suggestions. I am finding out how big the differences of the effects on certain things between 0° and -25° F. It’s huge. It gives me a good idea of what to do when I build anything else. The conduction of cold on a 2"x6" wall is amazing. Frost builds up on the screws inside the house that secures the door handle for the outside door.
The same will be true when I can get back to building my wood gas truck. There isn’t much documentation driving in subzero weather. I will be willing to drive in all the days this climate throws at me. I want to know. I want the experience.

7 Likes

Thanks Tom,
I don’t get discouraged easily. All I have is time to figure things out, We have everything at the bottom of Maslow’s ladder- shelter, food and water. Makes the challenges doable.

6 Likes

An update on the batteries. I’ve been running a 60watt heat lamp with slow results. Snowed most of the day so the generator was needed to charge. When the batteries reached 90%, I put a 150 or 200 Watt bulb in there. Much better results and the box is at 42° where the thermometer is at (about halfway up). The true temperature will show up after the bulb is shut off for a bit.
I also got a deal on a load of Aspen 1" x4". $20 for this truck load.
So I decided to use it for my wood shed roof.

8 Likes

How many sunny days did you get there this year? Wondering if a solar heat grabber would help you maybe battery heating or wood drying. Just thinking

2 Likes

Researching this I found the average winter gives about 2 hours of usable sun per day and the summer yields about 6.

3 Likes

Nice score on the lumber Bill. Wood shed is looking good. This is the sunniest winter I can remember since I have been paying attention. Man years we don’t have 10 days of bright sunshine from mid December till the 3rd week in February. Lots of overcast days. Sunny days just around the corner. Remember ice shacks of the lakes by March first. Maple sap time soon.

3 Likes

Thanks Jim, that’s the best deal I ever got with dimensional lumber.
Yes I want to collect some sap this spring. I want some stainless steel tub to boil some sap. Everyone wants big money for anything stainless.

1 Like

Yea I am needing a new system too. My buddy with the junk yard has what we need but don’t remember where. He is on the look out. Can’t find anything under the snow. If nothing else we can grab a beer keg and split it length ways and each have something.

Aren’t those made from aluminum?

1 Like

This is a post I made sometime based on what I think Max directed us to do for cod weather. Might keep in mind when you get back to building.
http://forum.driveonwood.com/uploads/default/original/2X/d/dc2ca37be3aba125af99ec2747bdef49b8e5ebb7.jpeg

TomC