Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Thanks guys.
A lot of good things for me to keep in mind. This year I’m limited on my resources and will definitely do things differently next year.
I like the miniWK for the final cook down. If I can make any syrup I will be a happy man.

2 Likes

Well, the melted snow revealed a cut up 55 gallon drum. This is what I came up with. What do you think? Do I stuff some rockwool between the keg and the barrel?

3 Likes

Will probably be a must unless you like “smokey” maple. Probably stick a diverted on the chimney exit to force the heat up and over.

2 Likes

How many C-clamps do you have to clamp the crack shut?

5 Likes

Hmmm, between that and vise grips, I can make it work.
Thanks Don

3 Likes

Bill is that a tlud set up? Do you have a door to refill? My little tlud will only work with very dry wood and then requires a refuel every hour loosing a lot of temp while getting the next batch up to temp. If you have to remove the pan to refill it will be a bitch. Losing temp, no handles on the pan, the pan will also need a stand for the refueling process. Give it a try but when you do lean some more wood up around it to get it drying and warmed a bit. I think I am going to use the tlud in conjunction with the keg in a barrel. Using the tlud as a pre heater and adding it to the keg when it is time to refuel the tlud. With a good burn it will reduce the 12 qt stock pot by about 20% from cold. It will go into a full rolling boil within the first half hour for about a half hour and then slow over the next half hour but still boiling at the end of the burn. Have you tapped any trees yet? It is not looking good here, staying too warm at night. I am not real optimistic about it here although anything could happen.

• List item
3 Likes

Good eye Jim,
I cut a hanger in half for handles.
It won’t be a top load. I am going to cut a door near the bottom to load more wood. I just needed a hinge. I’m just not sure if I should set the barrel up just a little for air to get in or make sure the barrel sets flush to the clay driveway? I will reduce some sap tomorrow just to see how it all works. This is where my building without a plan produces a huge learning curve. I’m glad someone brought up about having a damper.

2 Likes

Not sure on the air Bill but I would guess two sources would be best. One at the very bottom and a leaky door seal may work for you. I am sure others know better than I.

3 Likes

they say birch syrup has a lot of benefits too.

5 Likes

Yes, Birch water tastes very good. We tried it for the first time last year.

5 Likes

Here’s my first fire with the Maple sap boiler. I think it’ll do a good job. I was able to boil out 2 gallons of water in a hour and a half. That was when the water started at luke warm temperature. So far I only have about 2 gallons of SAP so I’ll wait until tomorrow to boil some down. I know it’s not much but I need know how far to go. Hopefully the temperature outside will cooperate for more sap to flow next week.
Here’s a short video

7 Likes

So we have a game changer.
I got my sap evaporator up and running hot. We have 62° and I’m running around here in a short sleeve shirt enjoying the sun. Battery bank was fully charged at 2 PM. I went over to see if I could start that old Coleman generator I bought for $100 this winter. I needed ether to start it this winter. Today it started with one pull full choke. It spit and sputtered for a few minutes and I took the air cleaner off and she ran smooth. So I plugged my welder in and in a few minutes the lights came on. I was able to run a 1" bead with no problem! It’s a 5k so I won’t be able to do thick metal but this means I can set up shop. With the extra solar power today I’m charging two 12 volt batteries for shop lights. To think, I used to take electricity for granted. Not anymore.

15 Likes

I still get people that stop by and joke about me with one light on right where im working they just don’t get it . its a little different when your not on that power credit card :grinning:

10 Likes

respect

I still have about 8 inches of snow ( though mild and melting fast and about 55 to 60 today) so I get what it is you are trying to live in and build in.
I even visited your state many years ago and know the conditions ( grew up in lake head area )

Good work I wish I could do what you have achieved.

5 Likes

Thanks for the kind words Wallace.
We got up to 60° today, we lost quite a bit of snow. I suppose we have about 8-10" to melt yet. That could happen this week but they’re talking about more snow midweek. The 3 mile dirt road coming in here is a mess only to get worse after it’s melted. It tosses my little Dakota around like I’m driving a gokart. It’s best to just stay parked for the next week but having a get together tomorrow with the kids for my 50th. I think the tractor will be able to maintain the road until it dries out.

5 Likes

HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY BILL!!

8 Likes

Thanks Al. I used to think 50 was old. Hahaha

3 Likes

Congratulations on completing another orbit around the all-giving ball of fusion plasma!

It’s still old, but your relativity has made that hidden from you! :smiley:

4 Likes

Happy birthday Mr. Bill .:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hurry up to social security age while there’s still some left !

3 Likes