Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

I hit the like button but wish for a dislike button cause that never seems to happen to me.:frowning:
Good on ya

4 Likes

It’s good to have friends in low places!

5 Likes

I have just the place for that tall wood stove. I grew up with one just like that. Our primary fuel in it was coal but it seen a lot of wood also. I was going to send you home with a couple plastic drums tonight but looks like you have no room.

3 Likes

I don’t have to tell you, that stove is worth some bucks. The problems is you won’t want to sell it because it will be more useful for you than anything you could buy now days. If he has more stuff than you can load in your truck, I have a couple of trucks. ( smiley face) { I don’t know how Tom did his }Tomc

4 Likes

My friend recently lost 17 of her previously 30 hens to a single weasel in one night. :confused:

3 Likes

This guy works for the State of Minnesota. All this stuff they pulled out of the dumpsters at businesses. His garage and shed were full. I told them to keep diving in them dumpsters and when I come down again, I will pick more up.
Yes everything I grabbed is very useful here. I like how things fall in place.
This proves once again, it’s not what you know but who you know. I don’t know much, but I do know a lot of people.

3 Likes

Well, crap… I know a lot of stuff, but I’m pretty anti-social/introverted so I don’t really know many people. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I don’t believe in labels. Apparently I’m considered an introvert. If one just looks at the people on this site, there aren’t any real ego driven people here.
I am fueled by curiosity and the desire to learn. I have to step outside of my comfort zone sometimes to push forward. There are many interesting people out there.

8 Likes

Brian,
First of all, you know a lot of people because of driveonwood.com !
Second, One man’s (or woman’s) junk is another’s treasure. That simple fact and because I am a pack-rat, I can hardly function due to the volume of “treasure” I have accumulated! (ask my wife…) I intercept stuff going to the dumpster at work, I liberate cool objects from relatives’ trash, I take scrap metal to the recycler’s and sometimes come home with a new treasure! If you can get to know your local scrap metal yard, dealer, or just the guy who comes by in the beat-up pickup truck looking for old washing machines, you can also do some trading for treasures!

7 Likes

Yes, I do know many fine (and 1 or 2 not-quite-as-fine sarcasm) people here.

There’s 1 local scrap yard out here, and they charge 1$/lb base for mild steel scrap, and more for “useful” stuff.

Next closest is a ferry ride, and 40-50 (each way) miles of driving, but I can buy at .30 cents/lb for decently useable stuff.

4 Likes

Hey Brian I made a video for my Dad on how I cut 4x4’s. So I may as well share it here too.
Thanks @dbaillie and @Wayne for letting me know about the rakers in the chain. It made things go a lot easier.

6 Likes

Ahhh… About how I guessed that it worked, but I also got enough of a look at it to try to make my own. :slight_smile: thanks. Mind if I share that with a few friends?

2 Likes

Go ahead Brian. I didn’t make this.
It takes me an hour one way to drive to Home Depot. So now being able to make one in a half hour is less time consuming and more cost effective.

4 Likes

It’s surprising how much a guy can get done when the sun is shining. It keeps the energy flowing.
Here’s my outdoor water tower. This will be about 3 psi based on .433psi/ft. For now, because it’s a bit chilly it will be used for washing clothes. An outdoor shower when it’s warmer. The barrel just needs a coat of black paint for the water to better collect some solar energy. I used a digital thermometer and measured the water from the well at 41.6°F.

14 Likes

Bill,
You are amazingly productive! You must have had some of these things planned out before you made the commitment to move to the Great White North! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Brian,
Well, today is your lucky day. I just happen to have a lumber maker made by Haddon Tool. I bought it from Mother Earth News way to heck back in the 80’s or whenever they came out. It will cut boards or set up for cross cutting wood. Never put it on a saw because I went with traditional stick framing. It’s even survived 2 garage sales and needs a home other than a space in my crowded shop shelves.
Email me your mailing address and I will give it to you. You can reimburse me for the postage or send me a few 2x4’s.lol.
Pepe

11 Likes

That is the same one I have Pepe. That little booklet that came with it was worth the purchase price. The mice done a number on mine.

2 Likes

Nice Pepe!
You send it to him and I’ll pay the postage.

5 Likes

Wow, guys! Thank you! :slight_smile: I’m a bit stunned (And a bit tipsy, but mostly stunned!)

6 Likes

Hi Jim,
Here’s a copy the mice won’t chew up. I have it on file if they do.
My killer cat has killed 5 mice outside in the last 2 days and left them all for me to see before she dines. Good kitty.
Pepe

4 Likes