Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Got the cook stove digi-book. Thanks for the link, Ray!

Brian,
There must be some wood to cut in Washington State somewhere! :wink:

1 Like

Hi Bill, when I used an Alaskan horizontal mill I had an 056 Stihl with a 32’’ bar what a saw it was, but don’t think I could handle it now:disappointed: Al

2 Likes

I used a Husky 61. was my only saw at the time ,now is my smallest. I bought that saw back in the spring of 84 I think, still my go to saw other than felling very large trees.

3 Likes

Brian,
Have your Mom study up on carbon sequestration using charcoal put back into the soil (Bio-Char). Also check out Abner V’s posts on Bio-Char: The Science Behind it… especially the Terra-Preta videos. Maybe Mom will be more enthusiastic about resource managing that wood lot!

3 Likes

She knows a lot about bio-char and such, having taken both Master Gardener and Permaculture classes.

Honestly, it’s 95% fear on her part: fear that I’ll chop off my leg with the saw; fear that I’ll drop a tree on me/house/vehicle; fear that I’ll lop off my foot with an axe; fear that I’ll burn down the house/forest…

I wonder where I got my anxiety disorder from…?

4 Likes

Mom’s fear is usually justified, I know it is with me… :wink:

Eventually though you realize it’s the things you never worry about that are really dangerous.

Like the wheel you forgot to tighten all the lug nuts on, that one day passes you on the highway. (True story)

Or the engine you forgot to check the oil in, that spins a bearing and leaves you stranded. (True story)

Or the chicken coop that burned down with just a heat bulb and loose pine shavings. (True story)

You just can’t think of everything…

12 Likes

Like Chris said, fear is good, it makes us more attentive.
My wife worries of the same thing. So when I go cut a tree down, I use a two way radio and let her know it’s down. One fear checked off. When all the branches are cut off and the log is secured to me tractor, I let her know I’m on my way home. I don’t like playing into someone else’s fear but I feel this is a good compromise. I know she cares.

10 Likes

Yes, paying attention to your fears and being mindful of what they’re trying to tell you is good.

Letting them get in the way of EVERYTHING, and overriding logic (“You’re going to burn everything down!” Me: “is a charcoal BBQ sitting on a large pad of concrete and it rained earlier today!”), not so much. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It’s been a great week so far. The sun has been out enough where no generator has been needed. I’m also getting a lot done outside.
I found some rough cut lumber for cheap, some windows for my chicken coop and this saw blade. I don’t need it now but…

5 Likes

Hard to see on the cell phone but it looks like inserted teeth? If so did ya get some of them?

3 Likes

I think there might be one or two stuck in there.

2 Likes

Good. There is a tool to rotate the bit and holder out. That is if the small blades are like mill blades. Should be some numbers on the holder. A holder used to be about $5 and bits much less but that was moons ago. Sometimes a fella can get used ones. Too much wear will let sawdust slip but some time a file will help to get a nice right angle on the holder. But with a small blade it might not be a proplem. Or maybe you have a large mill blade… Anyhow nice find.

2 Likes

Well I have a few finishing touches left but otherwise the chicken coop is done.
I was distracted yesterday after the dog tried to play with a porcupine. We had to drive an hour and a half to a vet to get 50+ quills out of her left paw.

9 Likes

Nice coop
Hope it serves you for along time

1 Like

Dog looks bad, chicken coop looks good. How’s your eye?

1 Like

I’m not sure if the piece of metal is out or It’s still uncomfortable because it was scratched. It’s a lot better than Friday night though. Thanks for asking. I went to shopko in town to try and find that magnet with no luck. I may have to go to a bigger town. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just for your information. If you have an old microwave on your pile there are 2 magnets in it.They are in the magnetron tube. Don’t know about using them to pull metal out of your eye but can come in handy for other stuff. The magnetron is a metal box attached to the cooking cavity make sure you discharge the big capacitor before pulling the wires off it.:dizzy_face:

2 Likes

I got metal in my eye a while back. It started to rust before it was removed so the eye doc had this fancy rotory tool that she used to grind the rust out of my eye.

3 Likes

… F THAT NOISE! That’s freaking scary as Hell!

2 Likes

Not as bad as it sounds Brian. Their tools are smaller than a dentist uses. But shaking hands are another story.:frowning:

3 Likes