Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

I accepted a job to help build a 12’x20’ log cabin. It should take 3 weeks. I really didn’t want to accept because I have so much to do here but I get paid to learn how to build a log cabin. I sure wish we could’ve used some kind of tractor to unload these logs but there wasn’t enough room at the job site.

15 Likes

Nice Bill. Is that a kit? Are the logs just spiked together? What will you use for chinking?

2 Likes

Jim, I show up in the morning and do what I’m told. :slight_smile: No, it’s not a kit. Some guys up here has made these 12x20’s for years. The local sawmill where my Son worked, cuts the wood for him. I have no idea what they use for chinking yet but I’m sure I’ll find out the last week.
Here’s the type of 10" screws we use to secure the logs together after we lay down some glue.

7 Likes

Day 5 on the log cabin. All the logs are up. I should have taken a picture of the scrap wood too. Quite a few hundred miles going to be a campfire for someone.

13 Likes

8 Likes

I’d rather have snakes, hahaha!! Bill, and I had the discussion at Argos, bugs vs. snakes.

3 Likes

Can you train your chickens to hunt and eat them? Good cheap source of protein.

6 Likes

You guys have to wear mittens in the summer too. Yuck :grin:

4 Likes

Funny you should say that Tom.It has been so hot and humid you can’t stand it here for the last week but I have been waking up cold and looking for a blanket the last few nights.

5 Likes

The bugs aren’t as bad this as they were last year. Maybe the chickens are doing their job? We’ll see. I hope to have twice as many next year.

3 Likes

Bugs or chickens Bill? Lol.
Bob

4 Likes

Jim, we are having that Bipolar weather here too in Wenatchee, Washington, we just try to deal with the best we can. This last week it has turned hot, over 100*f the past few days, hopefully cooling off by the weekend.
Bob

2 Likes

This is where we finished up this week. We had one rain day so this is 9 days of two guys working short of 40 hrs per week.

13 Likes

sure is a nice little cabin Bill. I would love to have something like that in the woods across the creek from my house. .

9 Likes

Yeah Jim, this would be perfect for over there

3 Likes

Super nice little cabin, Bill.

3 Likes

I often have thought about a cabin like that up on my back 40 just to get away at times. Never happen but I guy can dream TomC

5 Likes

Wow, such an easy machine to use. Saves a lot of time and saves my back.

8 Likes

That is added value to those logs you purchased. $40 a cord for logs, $200 for a cord of split. TomC

4 Likes

If I had enough wood, I would definitely sell some.

2 Likes