Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Skirting the house. Starting with the hard side first because it’s under the deck. I framed up a length of plywood and inserted foam insulation. I then wrapped it with 6mil plastic. In this 8 ’ area, I dumped two buckets of sand from the skidsteer to bank up to the plywood. I will be able to do this on 3 sides but not the back. Do you think it will insulate the house enough? I will install vents for the summer

5 Likes

Bill ,I think if you don’t do the 4th side it don’t matter how well you insulate the other 3 it don’t matter because the 4th side is an open door. There has to be a way to get to it.

2 Likes

So … why can’t you do the back? I’m confused.

I won’t be able pile up dirt on the 4th side because it’s about 3 1/2’. I will probably put a double layer of foam insulation on the back side

1 Like

Now it’s clear. Thanks…

1 Like

No big deal on the dirt bill as long as you insulate. You could always use straw bales or just wait and use snow. Snow may require some maintenance if it melts and shrinks some.

3 Likes

Started another project. No I haven’t finished the others yet. I figure if I can have a shop to keep the snow off of me and my projects, I can finish other indoor projects throughout the winter. I will have $200 in this project not including insulation.

9 Likes

Nice Bill…I’m going to add one like this to my shed to store my chunked wood when it’s dry.

2 Likes

Using the shipping container as an anchor is nice. Find a place for the ground clamp and the welder can reach both ends. I welded tabs for the top plate and brackets 7’ up to hold the rough cut 2x4 the length of the container

3 Likes

Looks good to me. Everybody needs two projects, one for outside in sun and dry, and one inside for dark, or rain.

3 Likes

It’s quite possible I have at least 6 projects. Hahaha

5 Likes

I have a feeling that if you ever have a heart attack, it will be outside. :grin:

3 Likes

Nice .Bill, A guy can never have enough roof it seems. Around here the projects seem to never get finished just functional. It also seems to last a long time. You have come along way since last year this time. Much better prepared.

3 Likes

Thanks Jim. I do believe I have that same problem. Functional but not finished.
Yes, I feel much better about going into this winter.

4 Likes

Here is a vid that will really make you think. it has 19 million views and is very interesting.

As far as projects go, I just got another one even though I’m not finished with a few that I have ongoing. I still haven’t run the Dakota on wood. I just can’t seem to get the temperatures up high enough. I got a free 20 ft. van body with a roll-up door that I need to take from L.A. to Oregon to use for a garage for my tractors. My gravity motor seems to work good. I just need to get the rpm up.
I just bought a C-50 Chevy 4 wd It looks like this but, is very straight and clean with no rust.

Warn hubs and a 292 six with a 4 speed. You can see that the hubs stick out in front of every rock on the trail. They seem to be a pretty good base for modification;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=316783&stc=1&d=1195951984
The projects never end.

6 Likes

Nice…This was just like the first 4WD Chevy I ever got to ride in. Snow was about 2ft deep and drifting. I got to ride with the farmer next door who took my mom to work at our community hospital. She was the Head Nurse and couldn’t miss work.

Never will forget it…I was around 10 years old. Amazes me the things I can vividly remember from 45 years ago and not remember what I had for breakfast this morning…

9 Likes

Now protected from nature’s aerial assault. The walls can even be constructed while it’s snowing.
Before the insulation, I have $200 in this project. I needed more lumber to finish the walls, fortunately the guy that I’m getting the lumber from needs some welding done on his dump truck. A hand shake and I have credit in the bank.

12 Likes

Nothing like a good barter

4 Likes

That sounds like some REAL PEOPLE live up there. Great feeling ain’t it!

7 Likes

I Love that Tax free Bartering. It Will Make America Great Again. If we all do it. Helping each other out and just try to make it even trade.
Bob

5 Likes