Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Yes, I feel like I fit right in.
Bob, it’s truly a free feeling to be able have something to contribute in trade for something of value from someone else. Appreciation is the change that we have to put in our pocket to complete the transaction.

6 Likes

Bill you are going to be very happy that you built some kind of shop. I kept thinking you should get the two containers set up so you could put trusses between them and have a shop. I went through that when moving to Wi. Second summer I put up a 50x100 quanset with a 30x50 shop in one end-- AND a double 55 gal barrel stove. For a quick solution I bought a 26 ft. piece oa 8 inch culvert and put it up on the shop end of the building for a chimney. ( still using it although the bottom 6 feet is showing rust from water and ash settling. 20+years) You have already learned that some days it is too cold to go out side and you can’t just sit in the house. You will love a little shop space. TomC

9 Likes

Very true Tom. I am grateful for the weather we are having to give me the opportunity to make this happen. Last year I forced my self to do something outside everyday even at -30F. This year I can run out to the shop and start a fire while I’m waiting for the coffee to brew.

7 Likes

Hey Bill, did you get all that weather today? Hope you all are good. Weather report here said Minn. got 18’’ snow, 70 mph winds!. just check’n on ya. Al

2 Likes

Good morning Al.
I have to say, I live wood heat. Woke up to 18° F.
They named our first winter storm Argos. Fitting, eh?
Lake Superior kept the air warm enough so most of the rain didn’t turn to snow, so we ended up with about 4-6".

11 Likes

I’m calling it a success on the root cellar. I woke up to 8° this morning and the root cellar temp maintained a temp of 42°.

6 Likes

Great pictures Bill. We always wish for snow but seldom get it. Good job on the root cellar too. Keep track of the air to root cellar temp difference, as the winter progresses to learn how freezing earth affects it.

5 Likes

Thanks Carl.
I have yet to insulate the root cellar on the inside. I will make that happen soon to extend the amount of time the veggies will be good in here. We have more snow coming Tuesday and Wednesday for more outside insulation.

4 Likes

Bill, I must have missed the root cellar build. How deep how large, and what kind of entry? I never got to building one this year. I did dig a pit in the corner of my new sunroom but did not get it insulated or a lid put on so it being the lowest spot in the room is a pit for the coldest air to settle. It will help some in spring when I start planting in there but for now it is just an extra cold corner.

4 Likes

Sorry Jim,
I really thought I posted this already. It’s 3’x4’ and 3 1/2’ deep. The house is above grade. This is the floor before I put finish on it.

4 Likes

So it is in the crawlspace under your cabin?

4 Likes

Yes, some of the chickens took up residence under there until I sealed it up last week. The house was built on a slight decline towards the back

4 Likes

I have just the easy wall left to do which is on the back. A pretty mild season so far. Our 9" of snow is almost melted and I have been working in the rain to get this usable.
I’m draping some rubber roofing material over the top of the container. It will continue all the way over to shed the rain and snow away from my work area for now until I build the real shop.

10 Likes

Are you talking between the two shipping containers with a temporary “roof”? The shipping container itself stays dry doesn’t it? Or are you saying that the water runs down the wall by your new shop/garage off the shipping container?

2 Likes

Bill that style door is going to be a bugger to open when you get a couple feet of snow. You need a “walk in” door that opens inward . Maybe you could put one in that left swinging door. You are not going to want to open those double doors when you are just going in and out. TomC

7 Likes

Hey Don, yes currently the snow is melting and running into my shop area. I draped it over the peak of the roof on the shed so it now should run to the other side of the container,

@TomC , I struggled with the doors opening out but just had to until I can set up a sliding door. If they swing in, I wouldn’t be able to close the door with a vehicle in it. I just have to keep the ground clean in front of the door.

3 Likes

Read post again. A “walk in” door swinging inward. TomC

2 Likes

I do have one. I’m just saying these two in the picture have to swing out for my vehicles

2 Likes

Yes, a small door within the left swinging door frame just to get yourself in in bad weather!

3 Likes

Update on generator shed:
All the plywood is on the outside, Ceiling insulation is in.
Remote thermometer placed on the same shelf as the batteries. Temperature before starting the engine read 6 degrees F. Two hours later when shutting the engine off, the temperature climbed up to 73 degrees F. Three and a half hours later, the temp dropped down to 20 degrees. Started the generator up again to be charged up for the night and I am already realizing improved battery capacity. Whew!
Tomorrow I will finish insulating and monitor the temps and battery capacity. I’m feeling encouraged.

7 Likes