Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Hello Bill. When I ran Martin’s Northern Tool Inverter Generator on charcoal I was testing for maximum load, and when I exceeded it, the a/c inverter would just disconnect. There was no reset button, so I would have to slow the motor down to almost a complete stop, and then let it go back to speed, and the inverter would reset. Using exhaust gas and water drip, I could get about 50 % power on loads like heaters and lights. It could not handle my miter saw or any other electric motor (with high starting current), although it did handle a cheapie Harbor Freight pancake air compressor (reed type). I think the motor spins a multi-phase high voltage ac generator which provides rectified current to the high powered electronic inverter which then makes the pure sine wave at the correct frequency with a stable output voltage, not dependent on the gas motor’s rpm. I could not see any ECO effect on charcoal gas because the motor was running at full power all the time. Have you examined the carburetor connections to see if they would be easy to convert to wood gas? Some are easy, some not…

1 Like

I understood what you meant, I also should have been more clear… since the welder varies in the amount of power it draws, the generator will seldom be running under full load. You’ll be able to weld light gauge stuff and not tax the generator. Only heavy welding will approach the generator’s max capacity. If you exceed it, you’ll pop a breaker.

2 Likes

The Northern Tool Inverter Generator does not have a breaker. If you exceed the power, the inverter disconnects, and puts out zero electricity while the engine keeps running. Only by almost stopping the motor (or shutting the motor down) will the inverter reset. Since it has a rope starter, I learned to shut off the wood gas until the motor slowed down, almost stopping, and then opening the wood gas and letting the motor speed up. The little light on the inverter would turn green, and it was ready for more abuse.

2 Likes

HI welders , I would find out ware it over heats and back down the power about 1/3 its rated output,and or add a larger fan as this can add duty cycle.buy a bigger generator for heavy and or thick steel welding and cutting,As you guys likely all ready know.BBB By the time it over loads ,its all ready running too hot,it is built too over load at a high temp too limit its life span,i mean how many times DID YOU over load DID YOU overload DID YOU overload DID YOU overload,SWEM.Should be ok for small jobs on the road.

1 Like

Just an update. We got the sheathing installed on this side. I think the other side will go smoother on the other side without the dormer.

This is the second container. We got the third container in place to make an alcove before we left but it was too dark for a picture. Maybe a roof on them some day?

This is how we rolled them in place.

10 Likes

Hi Bill, pictures didn’t come through? I like to watch your progress. Al

2 Likes

Hi Bill.
Same here, pictures didn’t come through. Would love to see the progress.
Pepe

I believe it is fixed now…

1 Like

Bill,
You certainly are hustling along, it looks very good. Yes, dormers are a bit of a pain, but you will love the light and view they provide. A new BBB, build Bill build.
Pepe

2 Likes

I like the “containers”. You are back in the woods and may not be there all of the time. The containers will give you a real “safe” for your tools and such. Looks like the area between the containers will make a good shop,too.TomC

2 Likes

Great progress on your spread Bill. Those containers are a real bonus for anything you want to do. A guest room perhaps??

2 Likes

You are doing a knock up job Mr. Bill. Wished I had all of your energy, sure could use it now.
Ron H

2 Likes

Yes Carl, a lot of options.
I want to weld a steel service door on one and make it a shop. I can weld hooks and shelves on the walls and ceiling.
The way I positioned them, produced an alcove on the outside corners. There I can make a dry storage outside for my scrap metal.

1 Like

Thanks Ron. The energy level is running low trying to get this ready and my house in the city ready for sale. Four showings tomorrow, hopefully an interested buyer. Soon I can focus on one project at a time.

1 Like

Lookin Good, Winter is coming!

1 Like

Man Moves Huge Blocks!: http://youtu.be/pCvx5gSnfW4

In case you wanted to stack your containers, or whatnot…

4 Likes

The start of my barrel boneyard.

13 Likes

Isn’t it great to have stuff nobody in their right mind would steal! :relaxed:

5 Likes

That is so true Carl. I even hauled all the small little cutoffs from my projects up north because…well…what if I could use them. I think I have an illness.

8 Likes

I don’t throw anything steel away… good collection of barrels… I think you could make something out of those.

1 Like