Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

We are getting it into restaurants up here

4 Likes

Interesting, i never knew birch put out so much surup, how do you make it like food grade surup.,?? Nice looking saw mill.

3 Likes

I use birch syrup for savory dishes only. On chickhen, fish and l put it in my chilli con carne to give it a sweet note. However that mix with maple syrup l tryed from Bill was fantastic and culd be used for sweet applications.

4 Likes

That guy bill is really makeing an art, out of tree tapping surup. Makeing money too pay taxes and keeping busy.And geting some home made sweetners, sounds good.

6 Likes

Try it on eggs too. It makes omelets great

5 Likes

It’s been very busy in northern Minnesota. After Jakob left Mary and I had a few big markets to do and then helped our new neighbors build a small house. Shortly after that, I blew a disc in my back. I could barely walk and my legs and feet were numb and felt like a Charlie horse down both legs. Surgery is scheduled on December 30th for a mini discectomy.
I’m able to be up and around now and some friends showed up to start an addition on the sugar shack. This is a 10x15 and will be used for bottling and reverse osmosis.

12 Likes

Bill, I hesitated before hitting the like button. Let’s just say it’s for you being up and about again. Take care.

10 Likes

Sorry to hear about your back(been there) Will be praying for you in Jesus name for a complete recovery, and healing. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

10 Likes

Thanks guys. I’m just grateful to be up, walking around and actually able to do something

12 Likes

Surgery December 27th was a success. They removed some bone from the vertebrae and 80% of the disc in my lower back. The Dr insisted on narcotics for pain meds but I refused. I made it through with ibuprofen. I get worn out in a couple of hours and then have to lay down for a while. I have a hard time sitting still and with maple and birch syrup starting in a couple of months, I need to get the addition up for the sugar shack. A friend came over and we got the floor done, one wall up and figured out how to tie the new roof jacks to the existing building. Today we woke up to 3" of new snow and is supposed to snow until 4 pm. After today the highs will be 0°F. So progress will be slow. I’ll do a little bit everyday until it’s done.

19 Likes

Glad to hear you are up and at it again Mr. Bill .

Try to stay safe and warm but with those temps staying warm might be difficult.

At 0 degree F I wouldn’t look out the window .

11 Likes

That’s my kind of thinking.

Good to here from you Bill and that you’re up and about.
Building progress looking good. I get a little itchy looking at your saw out in the open when it’s snowing though :smile:

13 Likes

Good to hear your in recovery. It has got to be difficult to go out in that weather and half of the work is SNOW removal.

8 Likes

I had to have someone move it out there because I have a 10 pound lifting restriction for a few months. It’s an old saw so I’m not too worried. It’s what I’ve used to build everything here. As soon as I can get tin on the roof, I’ll move it in the new addition.

8 Likes

Yes Mike, it snows almost everyday here. So far we’ve received about 5’ of snow this year and winter is only half over. I love being able to get outside when I can.

8 Likes

It’s going to get down to -30F again this week. When it gets over 0, one can almost feel the warmth. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I want to know how all those bugs make it through the winter up there. :bug: Good to hear your on the mend.

5 Likes

Proof evil exists. :smile:

9 Likes

Hello Bill, glad to here you are doing ok. Hope you get back to normal real soon.

7 Likes

Hi Gary. Nice to hear from you. My guess my normal will be a new normal. I’m okay with that as long as I can walk.

4 Likes