Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Hi Bill, I have a friend that has had belting in a building for years work very well.

4 Likes

Thanks for the testimony Al.
I had to buy a welding blanket so I can weld in here.

5 Likes

All the mat is down now and I’m stapling the edges down then I can start organizing.
Yes, those are beer kegs but they have maple syrup in them. Priorities change after 34 years of sobriety. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Unique, nice-looking shop.

5 Likes

I see one of the most important pieces of equipment over there on the left side. The “thinking chair” :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Steve U reminds of of how important redundancy is, so there’s another chair right beside it partially in the picture.

9 Likes

Bill, do you have to be extra careful that a welding spark does not land on that rubber belting floor?

4 Likes

I imagine I will. I purchased another welding blanket which will be here tomorrow.

4 Likes

We found some highbush cranberries.

14 Likes

It’s going to warm up to 40 today and tomorrow. I will be working on building a porch for the new cabin.
The past week I decided to put some spruce burls in the lathe to see if I could make anything with them.
Here’s what I came up with. I posted them on FB when finished and they all sold immediately. Thankfully I have more I can make.

16 Likes

Pigs are at the butcher now so I can do some more woodworking.
I put a maple log on the sawmill to see what I could make from these boards.

11 Likes

We drop a Cedar today. It was 24" in diameter at the base.
This is my cousin Brad. He came over to help. He’s never ran a mill before.

15 Likes

Looks good!
Saw milling is a lot of fun!

4 Likes

It is a lot of fun. I have outside temperatures to work around. The mill likes to work when it’s above a certain temp, myself included.

5 Likes

Bill, culd l get a picture of your guide bearings? Need to fix mine

4 Likes

Here you go @KristijanL . It appears to be two bearings. One is bigger than the other.

11 Likes

We wrapped up maple season last week and jumped right into birch.
We tapped 325 maples and will be up to 700 birch trees. Yesterday we collected 750 gallons of birch sap and can hit 12-1400 gallons per day during the peak.
I upgraded my reverse osmosis with an additional 4"x40" post. We can process 50% more sap this year from last year.

16 Likes

What do you use to haul the sap while out in the woods? Sorry just had to scroll up my answer. What a dummy

1 Like

12 Likes

I had not heard of Birch syrup before seeing you at Argos 2 years ago. Is it used commercially?

2 Likes