Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Hi Bill Looks like the chunk a woods you bought is takeing shape. Nice peice of land too home sted on.Looking Good.

2 Likes

Nice build, keeps the wood out of the dirt.

3 Likes

Looks good Bill
One question. On the arm that runs back to the u that runs down to the tires,I cant see any corner bracing is there any there? Looks cool, they use those when they are hauling logs out with horses like skidders, but they usually only lift one end

3 Likes

No, I ran out of tubing. I’ll have to wait until I get more.

6 Likes

I found a bunch of red elderberries on our property this year. Red elderberries are native to Minnesota as far as I know.
I decided to make a syrup with it.
Ingredients: Elderberries, maple sugar, cinnamon, ginger root and cloves.

12 Likes

Bill, be carefull with that! Its possible you have a different cultivar but our red elderberry is poisonous!!! Plese check that…

6 Likes

Correction. It says the seed is poisonous but the flesh is ok.

8 Likes

Looks good Bill. Have you tried it before or is it an experiment?

5 Likes

I found online from an University on how to properly cook elderberries. The seeds have cyanide in them and heat destroys it. Plus yes, the seeds are strained out before it is canned. This is the first time making this

7 Likes

Elderberries are very medicinal, I talked to a guy that sells honey, he sold out this year by people mixing honey, and elderberry juice to guard against covid.

7 Likes

Elderberry is one of the few local anti-virals we have here in ALabama. We put up tinctures with it for medicine. Looking great Bill. I think everyone is proud of you for how far you’ve gotten up there discovering your freedom. Way to go!

5 Likes

how much you charge for a jar of the elder berry jam. bill, nice work.

5 Likes

My wife and I have taken a Tbsp everyday since making this.
We made just under a gallon for the first batch and put them in 5 and 8 oz bottles. 5 oz for $15 and $20 for an 8 oz. and sold out in two markets. I thought she priced them too high but apparently not.
The mosquitoes and horseflies prevent us collecting more than a 5 gallon pail at a time. Picking all the berries off and getting the bugs out is very tedious.
I will be going our and collecting as much as I can. We will clean the berries and freeze them until I can make more syrup. Judging by what was selling, we will only bottle 8 and 12 oz bottles from here on out for $20 and $30.

8 Likes

We have had success floating most of them out…both with elderberry and black cherries

8 Likes

Thanks Billy. I actually discovered that last night.

6 Likes

The bacon seeds are getting bigger.

14 Likes

After seeing your post I went and picked some elderberrys. After I spent several hours picking them off the stems I found a post saying to freeze them first then while still frozen beat them on the table and the berries will fall off. I haven’t tried this out yet.

4 Likes

I tried the freezing method and didn’t find it any faster.

6 Likes

My nephew’s 13 year old Son came to stay with us for a week. He wanted to do something on the forge. Well, I’ve never used it until now.
We made a bottle opener from a railroad spike.

16 Likes

I’ve been so undecided how to pour concrete in my garage because I can’t afford to do it all at once. I’ve been battling this for over 2 years now. Then I went over to a friend’s house and he had this roll laying outside. After I inquired about it, he just gave it to me. I picked it up yesterday.
If I was like Kristijan, the floor would be done now. Instead I have to lay down and rest my back before I finish.

5 Likes