"DO More, With LESS"

Black poplar is such a nicer term; “piss poplar” is the local vernacular. Great info Garry…

2 Likes

How about Balm of Gilead? That’s the ancient name. I like the smell of the resin. So do honey bees apparently, here they commonly use it in hives as a filler, possibly because it has anti fungal, anti biotic properties.

The negative name might be related to the lumber, it has a slight musky smell, but not nearly as much as cottonwood. Or maybe because it’s regarded as #### poor. It is very wet, and very heavy, but just due to water content. It is very straight, splits great frozen, and should be ideal for log cabins, provided the bark is peeled straight away, so spring cutting once the cambium is active and loose. Dry density is very low, probably like fast grown spruce. Makes ok dunnage timber.

That’s way more than 25 characters worth of FUNNY.

4 Likes

Being a southern boy I’m sure I don’t know what “northern snow load” looks like, but it handled 10" of snow without incident.

Here’s a pic of what was left of it when we got home from FL.

DSCN9875

DSCN9883

DSCN9806DSCN9834

3 Likes

Good deal Billy North. Glad you endured the visit from come down to you from up-north.

A northern snow load? Starts with your 10 inches. Part melts-refreezes. Now add 1/4 to 1 inch of freezing rain. Then add on another 12-18 inches of wet-heavy snow again. Gets up to 100 pounds per square foot easy.
tree-farmer Steve Unruh

8 Likes