"DO More, With LESS"

Hi guys.
His one books “Green Wizardry” title is a bit offputting to me. I had visions of J.K. Rollins type spinnings. Entertaining with no practical application in real life.
Not at all. In this book his premise was those who post Rome’s collapse did do the rereading learning of the previous civilization’s hard facts science’s and engineering then to the middle ages unlearned would appear to be able to do magic/wizard.
So Today while it is easy Do learn batteries, electrical generations, good wood stoving, practical effective gardening, water pumping and all of the other assorted acknowledges.
Later in a “de-industrialization” situation then you will become the capable getter-done wizard.
And he says quite correctly that whether you are a modern day hobo voluntary opting-out; or a shed off US, UK, Canadian manufacturing cog; a previous seemed to be critical service person (telephone switch board operator, print film processor and such) involuntary de-industrialization forced relearning is at best, just a few unemployment checks period away.

Have one or two basic needs sellable/barterable skills developed always as backups.

My Registered-Nurse wife? Understanding germ theory “clean and dry” attentive hands-on, works wonders past high-tech dressings and patent Pharma treatments.
Her basic understanding of organic-chemistry makes her soups and pies the highest fund raising auction items.
$60. pies fund raised just last Sunday.
S.U.

3 Likes

A very good translation of a fine human wisdom J.O.
Time-less wisdom actually.
True a thousand years ago. True today. Will be just as true a thousand years from now.

Mine too much Stuff nemesis became rechargeable starting batteries. Not use a piece of equipment for longer than four-six months and then it was no-use until a battery recharge.
The batteries were owning me, slaving me - not servants anymore.
Ha! Battery retired most here and rejiggered all of the boxes to take a common use size. ANY new equipment if at all possible is arm-strong pull starting types.
Only four starting batteries now total ( and the wife demanded pocketed ear-pulling cell phone).
Betcha’ the JD Ag tractor not used since last spring - will not crank over now.
Oh. Well. Keeping up with the must maintain four location free-range hatched out baby chicks low watering stations seems so much more important. Grow babies grow. So I can revert back to just the two adult open topped buckets.
You see . . . .tried them all. Nozzle water’ers clog, or worse yet, stick open draining out the supply. Self-replenishing water-ers this time of year grow black and green molds demanding detailed scrubbing out. Ice freeze and crack/split in the winter.
A bucket - brush-swish, slosh-rinse, fill, and be done. Winter frozen - tip over, warm water dribble - kick out the ice - refill, and be done…
The Wizards apprentice helper old story overcome by his set-loose buckets is a learning wisdom lesson too.
Regards
tree-farmer Steve Unruh

5 Likes

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4315

According to these analyses, a barrel of petroleum has a real human labour equivalent of 5 2/3 years at olympic athlete grade, and 11 1/3 years at normal fit grade. And average north American yearly consumption is in the range of 60 barrels per year. Calculate that now in terms of wages. All for a bulk price of some $40 a barrel. And consider that our food production system requires roughly 10 calories of FF energy for each calorie of food delivered.

We are heavily addicted and accustomed to essentially give away energy. It has utterly infiltrated our entire culture from living choices through to chosen approaches to almost any task, and our standards for how things should be done, and even what makes sense to do.

People did cut firewood to heat uninsulated homes with poor stoves. They also didn’t dismay if the water pail froze by morning, they had extra blankets. They cut and split cordwood by hand, hauled it with horses for shipping by train to cities. They were very skilled and efficient at each process they undertook.

Steve is correct to aim to consciously do more with less, and to try to unlearn fossil fuel culture practices and relearn the truly sustainable ones, hopefully while improving over historical approaches.

6 Likes

philosophy of the day…:
spend your energy on things you need, not on what you want…

don’t be the slave of your craving for wanna have’s

6 Likes

Yes. Yes to you both.
Just like the mind/heart/soul explorers of old-times, getting that deep culture disconnect to winnow down to the core actual real needs sometime will require “30 days and nights in the wilderness”.
In current-day American-English the young lady’s Pacific Crest Trail self-discovery hike shows a route to this. The book and movie “Wild”. Based on a real true human discovery experience.

Gary Tait having watch for an hour the two different demonstration drag-saw set-up’s sure has drawn me back again and again to wood sawing REAL requirements.
When I was a little kid my father and a partner had an old, old, very worn out drag-saw they would use. Heavy, heavy, slow to move and set up. The old gasoline engine cranky and hard to start, keep running. Prone to catching on fire on hot summer days, even. Why to my little kids eyes this was a Dragon-saw.
Dad soon went onto chainsaws 2.5 to 5 hp. Later me, yet onto a 24", 7 tooth circular swing blade mill. 20 hp engine driven.

Those old drag saws were really just an early engine assisted cross cut sawing set up.
The same crosscut saw that was back and forth’ed by two men.
Two fit men would have at best been ~1/2 horsepower driving. A well, properly sharpen cross cut saw is fairly fast. Really. 1/4" cut on each push, or, pull stoke.
Now make up drag-saw with sealed ball bearing arms and link ends.
Power it with a DC electric motor.
That motor woodgas direct electrical powered; or charged battery “fueled”.

Do more, with less energy used, with only a small trade off in speed will always be the winner.
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes

To document my previous comments, here are historical pictures from the history book from my district.

20170908_223713
20170908_224219

I apologize for the poor resolution, due to the pdf form of the online book.

Cordwood piled over an 8th of a mile long in multiple rows, each pile a different man or crews work. To be loaded into boxcars, to be sent to cities east and west. Prior to the rail line being built around 1903, they hauled timber on the snow with horses 12 miles north to the CP main line.

The foreword of the book describes what the compiler saw over his long life, the area transformed from timber camps and sawmills to nothing but shelter belts around farm yards. It had been called “The bad woods”, almost impossible to clear, stands of huge American elm, green ash, bur oak and trembling aspen. Lady slippers, wild plum, high bush cranberry, diamond willow, hawthorn, chokecherries, pincherries, etc. Now it looks like it was originally a prairie. When I was young large tracts of original forest still existed. It grew very valuable timber, and probably was better for producing lumber and fuel wood than canola and soybeans.

Our ancestors worked harder, and smarter than most can imagine.

7 Likes

To carry on with what Gary said, this is a picture of the logs being moved to the sawmill a little over 100 years ago here in Crivitz.

In some of the pictures you see a dam that was built for electricity for the cable cars in Green Bay
This is a picture of downtown Crivitz today and how they get the logs from the forest to the rail head for shipping to who knows where. Probably Japan where we have shipped several of our paper mills.

TomC

8 Likes

That’s aspen to the right, right? On the second last pic.
Knotless they pay good here for sauna interior. I sawed a few logs into boards a couple years ago. Almost as profitable as chunking for motor fuel :smile:

3 Likes

Yes, trembling aspen.

1 Like

I get confused on the name for that wood. Out in the western states, they call it Aspen. But here it is referred to as poplar or birch. I am not knowledgeable on the different trees — lucky to be able to guess half the colors in a box of crayons. TomC

5 Likes

Do not feel Mr.Lonely on eastern North American trees IDing TomC.
I have books. Still . . . hard not living back there exposed to year-around direct-seen changes.
Out far-west here it is much fewer species easy-boring.
S.U.

2 Likes

Garry already confirmed aspen. I know it’s definately not birch, but I don’t know what poplar looks like. I don’t think we have it here. Maybe further south. I have to look it up.

2 Likes

I agree with you on the birch. We have it here and the bark can be loose and they use to make canoes out of it and us it for parchment before some people in Sweden started making paper. I use to ride my motorcycle all up through Colorado in the fall when the Aspens turned yellow. I think the leaves of poplar are similar to Aspen but the bark is not as white-- just my thoughts.TomC

1 Like

Just had a visitor from Iceland this afternoon. He looked at some poplar and said that’s birch. I said no and took him out in the woods and showed him paper birch, gray birch, black birch, and yellow birch. He didn’t seem convinced. After he left I got out my dendrology book. What I know as Popple is populus tremuloides. The birches are all betula, but there is a canadian wire birch also known as poplar leaved birch. Maybe this is related to european varieties?

4 Likes

Hm…this is getting more complicated than I thought possible.
I know we have a couple of varieties of birch, but they are all very simular. They are all just birch to us.
Poplar is even more mysterious to me now that I read we don’t have it in Sweden.
I guess I have to do some more studying.
Btw, Thodal is a Norwegian name, isn’t it? I’m sorry, I’ve forgotten where you live.

1 Like

Here’s the Vermont popple we were discussing. The roots are all connected and each stem is a clone. They’re kind of a trashy fast growing tree but good clear wood from a big stem is great. It’s strong lightweight and water resistant. They used it for canoes and water pipes long ago. Back in the seventies there were university test plots for its use as fuel. Never really caught on because its not that dense. I burned it back then for a while and when my my french canadian neighbor saw that he elbowed me in the ribs and said what’s the matter don’t you have enough kids? Apparently up there that’s an old joke. Sure enough my third child was born the next year.

Ja my name is Norwegian but all my family comes from western Sweden. My father’s family is from Gestad on the west side of Lake Vanern. Thodal was my great great and great grandfather’s army name. I don’t know if there’s any blood relation to the Norwegian Todals. I’ve been trying to figure that out for a while.

3 Likes

I’ve read that the oldest living tree is an Aspen. Well, realy the root colony because the tree part cracks off or gets burned.

Edit: spelling correction.

2 Likes

Things get complicated when common names of trees get used. Trembling aspen is definitely a variety of poplar, or popple. It clones from the roots, the best practice in logging it is clear cut, as it simulates a forest fire, warms and illuminates the soil, promotes good regeneration.

The pic above of Vermont popple is trembling aspen too.

The logs in Toms pic are definitely not birch, you can tell by the rough bark on the bottom logs, birch never do that, and the pattern of dark around former branches is also characteristic. There is another northern variety, commonly called black poplar, populus balsamifera, if I recall, known for the aromatic resin on leaf buds. It propagates readily from dormant branch cuttings, (and roots) as many poplar and cottonwood do. In logging, as with black spruce, regen can be promoted by tramping brush into the mud with machinery.

There is a different variety of white birch, Alaskan birch, as opposed to the paper birch, they both grow here, paper birch has finer bark, but it takes a careful examination of the dormant twigs to distinguish.

Interesting. I’ve never heard of Gestad. I had to look it up. If I got it right it’s a small village on the very south-west side of lake Vänern. 220 miles south of me.
Funny how many Americans have relations to Sweden. As a kid I was always jelaous of those who had relatives across the pond. All my ancestors stayed and chewed there knuckles.

Popple sure looks like birch. However our birch is very dence and considered premium firewood.

This is when your post popped up Garry.
In Tom’s pic I recognised trembling aspen on the yellow stains of lichen. Hard to tell in your pic, Dick.

1 Like

Our yellow birch is quite dense and very good firewood. Black birch is less dense but has a great wintergreen smell. White or paper birch is less dense and gray birch is not much good for anything although I did heat with it for a while. Black birch is great for turning because it doesn’t check.
You’re right on Gestad. I’ve never been there.

2 Likes