Dodge D250

A coalescing filter mounted right to the plasma cutter and one at the compressor are a good idea to prevent the moisture issue.

Hey Chris,
I suggested this weekend about an auger to help you with your packed bed. Well Here is something I think would work much better. Made out of 1/4" rod possibly. Twist it in and pull it straight out. Works on the worst constipation problems! I think I’ll make one for traveling with the mower!
Terry
http://jamclasses.drbanjo.com/static/dimages/DSCN0804.JPG

Great idea! I may try that.

Hi Chris and every one
I noticed on your video you didn’t have your foot on the throttle
Do you have a seperate gas pedal?
thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

On my truck I routed the woodgas underneath the carburetor. So I had to have a second throttle and a second gas pedal. The other option for a carburetor is to go in through the top of the carb. This makes it simpler with only one throttle, but the carb can get gummed up with woodgas soot.

thanks chris
I kinda thought thats what you did but some times i don’t see the whole picture
I want to try to come to the meet but i probably won’t have the gasser running yet but i would reallylike to meet you guys
see ya
Tom

Painted some PVC under the hood. It’ll never look this good again, so I captured the moment.

Looks good for the moment. PVC doesn’t take paint very well so enjoy it while it lasts!

Lookin good there Chris

I think the prettiest things are what we can’t see. ( movement of the gasoline gauge )

1 Like

True that! I haven’t added a drop of gasoline since leaving Dunlap TN nearly two months ago.

Moved some gauges! I’ve been meaning to do this for a while. Vacuum gauges are easy to move, just run a vacuum line to the cab. Easier said than done…

I went to the auto parts store and asked about fuel line and vac hoses. They wanted $1.20 per foot! Since I needed about 25 feet, that didn’t sound so good. So I went over to Walmart to see what I could find (I don’t know what I expected, maybe aquarium tubing).

What I found was a 50 foot air compressor hose for $12. Not bad! It’s bright red, but otherwise seems to be a really easy solution. Even comes with threads already attached, ones that match my gauges. Note that the hose is a tad big, I had to use a section of smaller hose as a reducer for the barb fittings. Still very sturdy and will serve my purpose well. And there’s enough to do another truck (photo is leftovers).

So I ran the lines from the original vacuum gauge locations (hopper and rails) under the truck and through the floor. I now have the gauges on the dash. They’re sideways, yes. But I’m not too picky. I may make a mount for the three gauges later on, plus add the backlighting I showed earlier.

Can’t move the temperature gauge without a digital gizmo. But for $12 this was worth doing!

Looks good to me, I’ll bring some LED tape to Argos for you to try.

Good thinking, Chris S.! That trick should get added into the book in later printings, along with the hopper drip guide.

Chris, You need to update this thread with all of your recent truck upgrades.

Good point Peter! Here’s a bit of what’s been happening.

Replaced the water pump, timing chain, radiator, belts hoses, thermostat, coolant and oil. Hit various pieces with some black paint as they came off the truck, came out pretty nice. Smog pump is now gone. it’s running great. Smooth and quiet with the new belts, and the timing chain is much much tighter now. (Any doubts about yours, go ahead and replace it! You’ll be sad if it breaks/skips).

I’ve got some video of the repairs that I’ll post when I get a chance. Meantime here’s some pics.

By the way, the truck is now for sale. Asking $7,000. Will post more on that in a separate thread.

Reworked the blowers this morning. They had been working OK, but the tubing connected them from the inside, and there was some flex tubing involved.

Now they are connected via 3" PVC, which is a perfect fit on the outside of the blowers. Then for rigidity I screwed them to a board and mounted them all in a line. The back of the board got a strip of aluminum flashing for a common ground, which greatly simplifies the wiring.

I put the last one on a 90 degree L so the pull-string from the cab is in direct line of sight to the tennis ball valve. Works great!

Delivered this truck to the new owner today. Donna Scott (Don Henson’s cousin) flew out to Louisville and I met her at the airport. I didn’t start the woodgas until the return trip so I could show everything about startup procedures. Within about 5 minutes she was tooling around on woodgas! Even the dual throttles didn’t slow her down much. Notice the big woodgas smile.

After a pleasant drive back to Frankfort, I waved goodbye to the truck for the last time.

(There’s some video coming soon.)

Here’s a playlist that will go live in a while. (Videos still uploading)

Good deal Chris. Glad it worked out for you. I’m sure the new owner will be happy with his new truck. Now you have to get your new truck.
I was busy working on my new burn tube Friday night and didn’t quit until after midnight. When I came up after I quit, I realized it was Friday and missed the forum. Hopefully I will be around this forum.

Take it easy
Chris T