Dodge Dakota R/T

To my knowledge there’s only one light truck with a V8 from the factory, which is of course the Dodge Dakota with a 318 V8. What I didn’t know is that after 1995 it was available with an even larger engine. The Dakota R/T came from the factory with a 360 V8, the 318’s big brother. As far as I know the engine is very much compatible with the 318, perhaps even some head swaps are possible for an easy compression boost. More parts seem to be available for upgrading the 360 than the 318. But even bone stock it makes a nice jump in horsepower, from 225 to 250.

So if you’re shopping Dakotas, keep an eye out for the Dakota R/T. Take one for a spin and see if the extra HP makes any difference.

http://jamclasses.drbanjo.com/static/dimages/Dakota_RT.jpeg

1 Like

Great point about swapping the heads for higher compression.

1 Like

Third Generation Dodge Dakota (1997-2004)
It sounds like the Dodge Dakota is the way to go if you’re shopping for a truck to gasify. Are the third generation Dakotas (97-04) still good for wood gas? Early 2000s models still offer the V8, but it’s a 4.7 L Powertech V8 instead of the Magnum V8. The power of the engine is comparable. Also the Dakotas are available in a crew cab around this time - would a crew cab have a negative impact on a wood gas truck? It would be nice for hauling the family around.

2 Likes

Hi Nick,

No idea about the modern engines. Many have stated a preference for the old pushrod V8s though. The Chrysler 360 has been around for 40 years or so, it’s strengths and weaknesses are well documented.

1 Like

Hi All
The last generation of Dodge/Jeep Magnum 5.9L/360 pushrods engines are great. Good power. Have modern direct front of crankshaft driven oil pumps, long lived, low friction roller valve lifers and camshafts. Excellent compact manifolding. Yep. Ignition distributor still in the back of the block so access can be a pain depending on chassis installation. These were a Jeep Grand Cherokee optional engine. Standard in there Limited versions from mid 90’s into the early 2000’s. These the installs driving the hot rod parts market. Lots of these Jeeps in urban wrecking yards now for Dakota swap in material. Careful of the flex plates - two different sensor tone rings possible for the Dodge/Jeep change over from earlier SBEC electronics to the later JTEC system for OBDII compliance. And “I Think” I remember that the 360 uses an externally weight balanced flex plate versus the 318 with a standard non-weighted flex plate. Bad engine shake when you mix these up. Mix the tone rings and it will not start and run at all.

Hey Nick the early 4.7L SOHC Powertech’s had a valve seat insert dropping out problem and many would break the LH camshaft in the center. As an overhead cam engine these types of failures were very cylinder head/piston and sometimes even cylinder wall damaging. They did work out these problems after a year or so in production. Still more an RPM engine with less displacement having a very complex LONG chain camshafts drive system and are MUCH more expensive to repair with wear or failure. Be advised.

Regards
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Anybody know if the newer than 97 dakotas are able too torch clean the intakes periodicly.

1 Like

Good morning Kevin

I think as long as it is the 318 or the 360 it is OK for a fire clean out .

Over the last couple years I have gone from using pine to burning 100% oak . Don;t remember having to do a burn out in that time . Seem to be very little carbon build up in the intake manifold and driving every day :smiley:

3 Likes

All these Miles on maple now instead of pine. Same story, but I did burn it out this week anyway. Not much in there.

Jakob was just dreaming about putting a360 on a Dakota and wondering if everything would swap over

2 Likes

Good evening Wayne, thanks for the info, i see some good deals on the newer than 2000 model v8, dakotas. probley got factory crues control and a few extras.Hard wood around here ash or any of it cost about 35 bucks a level pickup load. Those dakotas are about all the utillity i need nearing retirement years.

3 Likes

Kevin,
If I were you, I would take my time looking for a nice 1992-1996 Dodge Dakota with 5.2liter V8. (318 cu.in.). Kevin DeLonay’s (1998?) is also very nice, with the same engine. They are out there!

4 Likes

Hi mike i agree, i just have too wait a while too find one, then i was thinking of 5.9. mpg not much difference, though the parts for the 318 trucks probly more afordable.

2 Likes

Kevin, I was thinking more of how easy it is to find trucks and parts. I know right now of a Dakota 5.2 that is less rusty than mine, needs some TLC. Wayne has posted some really nice ones, if you are willing to travel. That is a luxury, I know, but it would be worth it for a long time project. I bought a crummy one for a starter, because honestly, I still don’t have confidence in my ability to pull off the nuts and bolts and welding required. You, however, have the necessary skill to build a proper build and it would be worth the trouble to start with a solid Dakota. As for the 5.9, that is a more rare bird. I don’t remember seeing any R/T Dakotas, although I did see an early Durango R/T recently that had the 5.9, I believe. :grin: So…engine (plus electronics) swaps are possible.

2 Likes

my 5.7 350 chevy van got better mpg than my 305 chevy motor, not sure on dodge 360 bigblock dodge engines. Maybe the 360 would run in the 318 dakotas useing the 318 control system if milege is close too same, is another posibillity. I mean i think 360 was a big block,? but bolts up too 318 trans, the older 360 would bolt up but had different flywheel ballance than 318.

2 Likes

Kevin, I am learning a lot by reading this Wikipedia article. I know Wikipedia is part of the evil empire, but you can still learn a lot from some well-edited technology stuff.

3 Likes

Hi mike R i check data through that web cite often, What makes that web site from the dark side.?

2 Likes

I think they say hydrogen motors work well with hemi chambers.

1 Like

Without getting controversial, they (Wikipedia editors) have their agenda and miss-represent religious organizations and political figures. Don’t use them for your only source of information on those subjects. Wisdom comes from checking many sources.

2 Likes

Thanks i hadent known of those facts, i only get mostly car info there.

2 Likes

Questain for the more experianced dodge mopar enclined, Is the 318,340,360 all the same block ? small block.or did they do like chevy 400 small block and 402 big block,ect.396 big block.

1 Like

Hi Kevin, yes all are LA blocks. https://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

3 Likes