Donor vehicle help and compressed woodgas

Ha, youre right! But whats the depth of char bed above the port?

4 Likes

Not enough I suppose, but the bottom door could be made taller with a slice of a tube.

5 Likes

It just occured to me! Perhaps it wuld be a good idea to fit a nozzle directly under the restriction. So, in times of constipation danger, like the long idle/slow drive scenario, the char under the nozzle can burn and form a cavity under the restriction, making the constipation fines from the restriction fall down and fill with fresh char. In the mean time, produce quality composition chargas for a solid idle.

5 Likes

I’m expecting Max will jump in soon with a history lesson from the 20’s or 30’s… :smile:

4 Likes

“Nothing new under the sun!” :wink:

5 Likes

Haha, you beat me to it by seconds :smile:

3 Likes

This I understand, but would it benefit power at high demand, when we’re most likely already pulling through?

4 Likes

I think so, more oxygen reacting faster with more fuel, more flow through.

3 Likes

Hm…and steam added from above. Win-win :grin:

3 Likes

Supposing that the top pyrolysis area is increased simultaneously…

3 Likes

I do expect it’s not a new concept, but it does seem to have potential, if even in a limited way.

3 Likes

Remember Steven Abadessa’s center lower nozzle? Only it was above restriction.

4 Likes

I missed that, (or forgot), so many threads…

2 Likes

Well if l decide to go back to wood power on the Mercedes the gasifier will be restricted to low power, and my hilly rides will be driven hybrid. But if this alows me to gain better idle/takeoff (always a problem) lll trade gladly.

5 Likes

I’ve given this some thought. Could it be your dry filters have been somewhat restrictive offsetting the mix? I notice whenever my hayfilter inlet gets submerged (bubbler) I’m more likely to stall at idle. I empty the hayfilter and able to idle 400 rpm. I remember @don_mannes idling 300 rpm with his WK Tracker.

3 Likes

Hi guys.
As I will remind. I promote a center post supported sifter action grate system. learned this first from the GEK II & III systems. Then VesaM book. Then the sifter action from BenP’s Victory hearth systems.
Well a lot of these center post grate supports are hollow pipe.
So a lot of fellows have experimented around with up-from-bottom through this grate pipe introduceing many different gaseous adds, at different times, for different results.
Not my experiences, so I cannot report results other than edge introduction leads to problems versus a center out distribution.
Ha! My wood-base low carbon fuel I have never had the unused up char to explore these possibilities myself.
Regards
S.U.

6 Likes

on all our vehicles, we already have a centrifugal fan (that of the engine radiator). Could the hot air of the engine space be used for this purpose?

The fan is powerful (a lot of cfm). The fan works anyway (little extra energy consume). The air is preheated by the engine …
Am I in the field? :thinking:

Thierry

I dubt. The felt sack is remarkably breathable. Trying to blow trugh it feels no resistance what so ever. Plus, back when l had a wood gasifier on the MB l only used 2 small wet cyclones as filtration, they expelled sooty fog from the gas. Allso, l had no problem with idle/takeoff with chargas and sack filter combo. Its just the wood gasifier that caused me problems on both MB and Chevy

Thierry, l am not quite folowing. You mean you wuld push the air in the gasifier?

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan

I read my last message, it is not very clear :sob:

if the engine space was hermetic (or partially airtight). I think that a slight pressure of hot air can be built in the engine space. A pipeline between the engine space and the air intake of a gasifier may be installed

emphibious vehicles have this seal

can I be delirious?:grin:

Thierry

1 Like

Are you thinking you want to pressurize the air/fuel mix going into the engine? This would make more power. I thought long about this too. But from everything you have written I think you just want to deliver fuel gas at constant pressure to the engine. If you did this an automixer would not be needed. I think a simple pressure regulator delivering fuel gas just below below atmospheric pressure would give consistent engine response.
Rindert

2 Likes