Don's Geo Tracker Project - 2- - Charcoal

I’m not blaming anyone. I just don’t see any curiosity in science. The one you mentioned maybe was one in a thousand who got to work in the garage with his father. That is great, but the father can’t get the attention of the kid away from the electronics long enough. Or he has to come down so hard to do it. And then of course there is a little problem that many families have only one parent. I just feel so bad and disassociated with the younger world. Sorry for the rant. TomC

4 Likes

10 likes on that. Kisds are the same as 100 years ago, but parents have changed. It isnt hard to be a good parent, people just got to lazy. Its easyer to buy a kid a lphone thain to teach him how to make a bow out of a branch and sward out of a peace of a broken chair.
This reminds me of an anecdote l had when young. I wanted a cellphone when l was about 10 years old. Everyone had it. Those with cameras and internet all… modern stuff. I knew my parents wuldnt buy it for me. My father asked me what l need the cellphone for, so l tacticaly sayd l need it to call someone in case something happend to me. Well he bought me a cellphone. Nokia 3310. Good only for calling and killing someone acidently hitinh him with it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: good parenting right there

9 Likes

I just remember the little North boy at Argos this past May. Hr definitely was paying attention. Started making a simple fire out of old paint cans,pipe fittings he scrounged up, filters from plastic coke bottles filled with charcoal he foraged from Mr. Gilmore’s supply. And after Gary’s presentation he got Gary to give him a private session on the system. Watching that brought joy to my heart and hope for the future.
After all we all are one in a million and have a lot of work to do to change that ratio…
My 2 cents

8 Likes

Yes some kids are disinterested… not always fair to blame parents. Even if there are 2 typically they both have to work to make ends meat. I’ve been fortunate to be able to bring my son to work with me, a lot, starting at a pretty young age. I’ve also have tried to buy him gifts that would teach him skills if he used them. As a dad I just do my best and hope things will click. I think most parents are that way… hopefull

8 Likes

Both parents and kids have been overtaken by powerful social and political forces that are largely outside their control. In the space of a century, American society has been turned completely upside down, and no longer bears much resemblance to what once made America “exceptional” in the first place.

Almost every civil institution in society, from the nuclear family, to the extended family, to the church, to local government, has been under relentless attack, and has been been fragmented and weakened to the point that there is little means of resistance left.

This has been accomplished through many avenues, not the least of which include the public education system, the centralization of political power in Washington, the centralization of economic power in large corporations, and the centralization of cultural power in Hollywood.

12 Likes

I am slowly catching up with Koen’s diversity after I get my wood gas cook stove built. This is the start of it.

17 Likes

Muffler burner is a clever use of materials for sure.

3 Likes

Don,

i need lemon juice now… my smile hurts…

2 Likes

Nice! The flames sure are butifull.

They also tend to dance like that on my charcoal stove but once the pan is on everything gets better.

2 Likes

Hmmm! A new way to charcoal broil a stake. Just hold it like a marshmallow on a stick. I’ll be right over. TomC

2 Likes

We are all like cave men who just discovered fire, the possibilities are endless!!! Great adaptation Don.You will survive!

4 Likes

Very clever!
“To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.”
-Thomas A. Edison

7 Likes

Don, are you turning the Tracker into a camper?
Incorporate a toilet and you’re ready to go :smile:
I really like the muffler.

2 Likes

Did you mean this J_O?

Can you make “heads” or tails out of this?

12 Likes

Yeah, I guess that head would fit my tail.

4 Likes

Oh , , , O.K. but I was thinking of the “heated seat” you already have up on top.

4 Likes

SOL. Heater or consti shaker.

Add liability, malpractice lawsuits with high penalties that keep young people from touring/ “hanging around” workshops and factories. I learned a lot from observing what people do at work and that helped form my interests and build my skills. (such as they are) :relaxed:

3 Likes

Tracker has been starting harder and missing under load a little so I thought I should replace the plugs once. I think this explains some of the problem.

The center pin was eroded to a point.
While I was at it I ordered a new set of wires because a couple of the long boots that went down through the valve cover were broken. I am not used to overhead cam engines where a socket extension has to be used to get down to the plugs. The E3 plugs I bought were a little longer from the compression washer down, so I plan to turn the engine over by hand to make sure they don’t get hit by the piston even though the manufacturer says they fit this engine.

6 Likes

Hi Don,

These plugs are with the point like that, maybe just a bit smaller gap,
They are either platinium or irridium

3 Likes