Don's Geo Tracker Project - 2- - Charcoal

I forgot to shut my air valve to my charcoal gasifier last Saturday (Sep 3) and I was stuck in the hospital for 3 days this week with a blood clot and when I got back yesterday (Sep 9) I noticed the gasifier was warm to the touch. When I switched on the thermocouple reader it said 151 degrees F… This was with all the gas outlets from the gasifier closed. This gives me an idea for a small room heater that takes no electricity to run. Just install a closed combustion gasifier with an outside air inlet and a vertical gas outlet that has a chimney draw effect to a vented heater in a room above. Not sure how practical that would be but would be fun to try.

10 Likes

Sorry to hear you were in “the bed” but a remarkable discovery, It reminds me of the hand warmers, both naphtha and charcoal!

4 Likes

Welcome back Don. A few days of rest is nice now and then but some how it doesn’t count the same when you are in the hospital.TomC

3 Likes

Well Don, I think the great news is that you were diagnosed for it in the first place. If you would follow my advice, take that low dose aspirin so that every time you cut your finger slightly. You can get rid of lots of blood out of you to make room for new stuff !

4 Likes

Hi Don,

Stay well now, so that you can try more fun things to show us how its done…

3 Likes

Don,
I’m glad that you are OK.
Three days and still glowing, wow. I assume only a tiny amount of char was eaten in that time? Any impressions from using your E3 plugs? Blessings!

1 Like

Thanks Bruce and everyone for the good wishes. It was actually closer to 6 days with the air valve open and during that time it ate about 6 gallons of charcoal. The E3 plugs plus the new ignition wire set increased idle by 250 rpm and the occasional miss is gone. Yesterday I ran it to another car show and was very pleased with the power difference and the one thing I really noticed was the pronounced difference it made when the distributor was advanced.

4 Likes

E-3 plugs??? Are you talking about a different “spark plug”??? How did you car show go? Do you put an any kind of demonstration or just pictures and conversation? TomC

2 Likes

Yes Tom they are different. I think E3 stands for 3 electrodes like this , , .

The diamond shaped hole at the bottom is purported to release the spark downward instead of sideways as in regular plugs for a head start to a more complete burn.
Car show went well. I had a couple of unbelievers that I had to prove the concept by showing the flare to prove it was making gas and then running the engine on wood gas and let them see the thermocouple temps rise and then kill the engine by lifting the hopper lid and destroying the fuel vacuum path. That convinced them. Every one liked the valve on the filter barrel that I use to run my generator with.

10 Likes

Wow Don, sorry to hear about your visit to the hospital. Glad to know you’re okay.
I haven’t been able to respond on DOW for a while. I recently discovered I only have that problem with my computer so I know I can now respond with my phone.

2 Likes

How old are you? When I was 10, the only cellphones were used by rich business managers (most likely driving a shiny Jaguar or BMW). I just turned 32 less than a month ago.

1 Like

Turmeric is another choice: my mom has some heart problems a while back and her “naturopathic” doctor put her on it. It helped her heart issues, but it also blocks clotting; when she nicked her finger in the kitchen, it was dripping for over an hour. Hand above her head, pressure on the cut, etc, and it was still bleeding. Not quite to the point that we were worrying about blood loss, but it was on our minds. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Im 21. We are the first generation of kids with cellphones.

3 Likes

Wow Kristijan!
I always thought we were kind of at the same page. I guess I’m either a very late bloomer or you’ll be a pensionist before you turn 25 :smile:. I’m 48.

1 Like

Been playing around with sparkplugs…
testing old plugs for gas/flare ignition…
did took old plugs to compare, coz the flare would not start…
Then i noticed the “R” sign in the plug-number and yes…

Which type you think would be better to use ?

How important are spark plugs with woodgas ?

1 Like

Is that METRIC? It must be to accomplish that much so fast! :smile:

7 Likes

I dont usualy like to talk about my age (eaven to face to face pople) becouse people start being disrespectfull and dont take me seryously anymore, but you guys are cool :slight_smile:

JO, its fun guessing how old people are, based on your videos l wuld guess early 40s for you.
Ha l hope l never retire in any way :smile:

Don, that is metric yes :grin:
And yes, l did start early. I ran (and ruin) my first wood gas engine at age 13.

14 Likes

I was thinking that @Chris was the youngest on the DOW membership team, you have got Chris beat. Amazing accomplishments you have done for your age Kristijan , and yes I think this group of people is the coolest. God Bless You and your family.
Bob

5 Likes

A few thoughts on spark plugs that need qualification. Shorter gap gives longer duration and more dense/powerful spark (less likely to be snuffed out by pressure and less volatile fuel). Sharp edges initiate sparks better than rounded surfaces. Indexing or other geometry with spark open toward fuel is better than spark blocked by ground terminal. I look forward to learning from the experiments and discussion.

4 Likes

I have been using the E3 plugs @don_mannes, that Don talked about. I had new standard plugs and the E3 plugs seems to start on woodgas easier to me. My 2 cents.
Bob

2 Likes