Don's Geo Tracker Project - 2- - Charcoal

Always nice to see the unit in action. Pepe

1 Like

hi ramose thanks for posting some interesting designs of are builders, any thing of this nature will help some understand the overall designs, and i woundered if you finished with don manns charco tracker design, again thanks for your effort explaining the designs more clearer.

3 Likes

Don, I am always impressed with the engineering behind your control devices—they work and are simple enough that I could build them. Thanks for sharing the details.

5 Likes

i agree steve , mr don manns is one good metal designer.

4 Likes

As usual, Don’s creations are very clever. He makes us all better fabricators.

A couple of things I incorporated in my timing control are 1) braided ground strap to the distributor body to maintain good electrical connection when loosening the hold down clamp (especially important for my old breaker points) and 2) vernier cable that allows both coarse in and out adjustment as well as fine tuning by turning the knob.

6 Likes

Somebody used one of theses guitar tuning pegs for the idle adjustment string.

8 Likes

Hi Kevin:
Thank’s for your compliments.
I think that I have finished wiht Don devise. I had no further news from him ( in prívate).
Now I am working on muy own devise. Very slowly because other time consuming important things came up at the same time.
I am eager to post it soon, but I have to be patiente.
B.R.
Eddy Ramos.

5 Likes

Daniel Used an old window crank on Dad’s 95.
It works better than any other system I have used.
DSCN0105 DSCN0106

6 Likes

Don, Kevin, Bruce, Andrew, and Jakob, thanks for your input on the idle control mechanism. I had a brainstorm yesterday and got a chance to try my idle control idea out today. It is simply a thumb screw with a hole drilled through the head for attaching a cable wire. A washer, spring and another washer completes what is behind the panel. The screw goes through the panel. On the outside is another washer and a thumb nut. The other end of the cable wire is attached just below where the throttle cable is connected to the accelerator pedal. Turning the thumb nut increases and decreases the idle speed. Here are a couple of photos:

7 Likes

Happy Birthday Don. Enjoy your day.

8 Likes

What Bill said :blush:

5 Likes

Happy b day Don! :grin::grin:

3 Likes

Don,
Speaking of updates. Have there been any developments in your Charcoal Tracker since your last update? Are you still driving it?

5 Likes

Hi Steve,
The Tracker needs a clutch and I usually do my own work but so far have not had the motovation to crawl under there.

9 Likes

I can’t get under a vehicle anymore unless I can sit up at least. Developed a phobia about it a while back. I’m going to make a service pit. Too far to sneak down and steal the North’s hoist.

6 Likes