Don's Geo Tracker Project - 2- - Charcoal

In the name of all that is holy someone please video that talk!!!

5 Likes

I would encourage you to conduct the talk. I think it would be great.

I am still hoping to come to Argos, but donā€™t have it all worked out yet.

If I donā€™t make it, I would sure like to see the video.

2 Likes

Pleas, please do a show and tell. If you set a time and make a program out of it you will hopefully only have to answer our many many questions once and more of us will gain from all of the guys who are playing with charcoal. ( maybe hold it over behind one of the barns ā€” on the dark sideā€“) TomC

3 Likes

Iā€™m with David, sure would like to see a video presentation. I am unable to attend this year and it is sounding to be better than ever.

4 Likes

euh, there might be something i donā€™t getā€¦ :grin:

9.6 pounds on 20 miles isnā€™t 0.48 pounds per mile ?

1 Like

Maybe time for new Batterys in your calculator Koen :grinning: I got it to 2.08333333333 with a fully charged up laptop .
Of course there is almost a certain chance that I donā€™t have a clue how to work it out properly :fearful:

Dave

2 Likes

Koens batteryes are workibg fine :grin:

1 Like

divide the pounds consumed by the miles doneā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhhhh you see I divided the miles done by the amount consumed , as with all motor manufactures they always give the MPG .

Dave , lmao

1 Like

What weighs more - a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? :grin:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that Jim. I was looking forward to talking with you again.

2 Likes

What Don said . :confounded:

They have the same mass but a pound of bricks are much more manageable to carry and so they feel lighter. :wink:

1 Like

It is just a bad time of year for me. Much of my work is on lake homes and cabins. busiest weekend of the year to get them opened up, boats and docks in the water and such. It is also hard to judge weather to puts my garden starts in the ground or not(last two years I lost every thing while I was gone). This year I took the leap and went off grid for at least the summer to force myself to get prepared which I am really not but gaining every day. I sure hope to make a fall meet if there is one and definitely try to be better prepared to make it next year. Right now I have to mechanically charge batteries twice a day to keep the fridge going. You all have a great time and take lots of pics and videos for those of us who can only be there in spirit.

6 Likes

Iā€™m in the same boat; the hidden cost of living and working in cottage country. Really want to go but I just canā€™t leave during the busiest month of my season. Has anyone ever considered a fall meet up somewhere More easterly? There seems to be a lot of activity in the New York, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Michigan areaā€¦ Just sayinā€¦ wish I was going Don.
Best regards David Baillie

9 Likes

bricks with feathers tend to flyā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

Seeing we are expected to do a little show and tell at Argos about charcoal powered vehicles, I thought I should empty the charcoal; out and take a look at the nozzle area from the top in order to know a little more about workings of my machine. . So I did that and here is what I found today. After sucking the last bit of charcoal with my shop vac I found the nozzle to be in excellent shape. It appears that the charcoal descends to the center of the nozzle area and then oxidizes and reduces in an outward loop because that is where the ash and clinkers are found in a ring around the nozzle area while the area above the nozzle center vacuumed out clean. The end of my lighting tube terminated about 3 inches from the edge of the nozzle but the end still melted off with the intense heat of the reaction. The thermocouple just above the lighting tube never showed temps over 1500 F

5 Likes

Thatā€™s incredible Don , sounds like you may have a winner there for longevity on the nozzle front well done .
Good luck to all at Argos meeting this weekend hope its a great one

Dave

2 Likes

Good for you Don. I still donā€™t understand that nozzle and was hoping to get to talk to you in Argos. Does that nozzle spin or do you turn it or does it just occellate and keep the oxides off the nozzle. Next a new lighting port. You will get it Iā€™m sure. Have fun in Argos. TomC

2 Likes

Tom, there is a handle on the side of the ammo box that I can wiggle to let ashes fall. I found out I cannot turn it too much cause it will bind with pieces of charcoal. Air rushes up around the narrow space between the center part and the wall of the nozzle to cool it and provide velocity which keeps the hot zone above a little way.

5 Likes