Don's Geo Tracker Project - 2- - Charcoal

No Herb, I am not as good a wire bender like you. I took the stick off a selfie stick which left the standard tripod socket at the bottom which I can use it on a tripod or with a 1/4 inch short bolt through the front of an old cap.

3 Likes

Too early to tell yet Chris what fuel mileage I get.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great ride along. Very nice!

2 Likes

Love the sound of that little baby going up through the gears. Wouldnā€™t know it wasnā€™t running on gasoline. Just came in for lunch. Got to get back to work on my truck if it is going to make it to Argos. TomC

2 Likes

The SMELL of freedom is gone? Iā€™m sorry to hear that. I hope the FEEL of freedom is still present :smile:

4 Likes

making the charcoal wil give him the pleasure of smell again :grin:

4 Likes

:grin: thats a perfect soundā€¦ i am having a :grin: from ear to earā€¦

Well done Don

1 Like

Lookin good Donā€¦

Nice ride, Don. Iā€™m not going to be able to talk to the co workers after Argos about the difference between the smell of a charcoal vehicle versus a woodgas vehicle. Theyā€™ll think Iā€™m off my rocker !

4 Likes

Thats the problem with co-workers. Unless they are doing the same things, they never understand. Especially
if you are going against
the norm. Most people have no idea what freedom really is.
Jesse

2 Likes

Can I have a ride?
Lokks like fun!
Thats the pay off right there.
Nice ride Don

1 Like

Doggone it Don, I canā€™t let you have the only charcoal powered vehicle at Argos. :grin::
This means Iā€™ll have to bring my Ford Ranger. Too bad Bruce could not bring his MG too.
The Ranger does not have a lot of room in it for equipment so there will not be much to show, but it will still be fun. Looking forward to seeing your set up and comparing notes.
Gary in PA

7 Likes

Yup, Iā€™m bummed out.

2 Likes

If my tuktuk would fit in the luggageā€¦ i would comeā€¦
but anyhow, one charcoal driver outnumbers ā€¦ :grin:

5 Likes

I took a look at the nozzle yesterday after about 4 hours run time and although that is way too short of a time to judge long term reliability it does say something when I see no signs of oxidation or wear.

I am also starting to get an idea of fuel economy after two runs totaling 42 miles it looks like I am getting about 2.3 miles per pound on softwood charcoal and that includes a fair amount of time running but not driving and putting on miles. That sounds about right because I was getting between 1.75 to a little over 2 miles per pound with the wood burner.

4 Likes

that answers one of my big questions on wood VS charcoal. the other is, how much difference in the physical volume of the two fuels, and how many pounds of wood to make a pound of charcoal?

1 Like

Hi Don, After a 20 mile run I filled up my Ford. It used 9.6 pounds or 7.5 gallons of charcoal. That figures out to 2.1 pounds of charcoal per mile or 0.375 gallons per mile. This is mostly hardwood charcoal, but there is some aspen mixed in. I also used about a 1/2 cup of used motor oil in the fluid drip.

Hey, with Argos coming up, would you be interested in conducting a session on vehicle charcoal gasification? There may be enough interest for you, me, Jeff and others to sit around a scheduled event and talk (show) how we use charcoal for over the road vehicles. How our systems are designed, strengths and weakness and what can be improved. I want to tear my unit apart that day to see how the new design is working and there may be others interested too.
If there is enough interest, let me suggest doing this early afternoon on Saturday, say shortly after lunch?
Gary in PA

10 Likes

Great idea for Argos.
So does this mean you have the bugs worked out you were battling with?

3 Likes

That sounds good Gary. Iā€™ll probably be listening like the rest of them because all the ideas I had came from you ā€œthe charcoal masterā€.

3 Likes

When I put wood chunks at 15% moisture in an onion sack it weighs about 25 lbs. That same size sack filled with engine grade charcoal weighs give or take 6 lbs.

3 Likes