2016 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 19-22

By the way…“Ole smokey” has a little over 16,000 miles on wood so far, minus a small amount of gas driving (which isn’t much). Never have changed any original parts on gasifier either. SWEM

7 Likes

You are probably correct Wayne, I hadn’t looked at the roster - we have a pretty well stocked venue this year!

I however had some issues to address,…

My post caps had rotted thru (air leaks)
fernco on the heat exchanger inlet was bad (air leak)
cooling rack was clogged at the tree (bottom two lines not doing anything)
sediment in the rear tank (about 4 inches covering the entire bottom)
rear tank valve cable (rv dump valve) broken (still broken, will have to struggle with this)
push blower inlet ball valve no sealing (stretched spring)

I think the not sealing ball valve was my worst problem. The air leaks rob you of performance but being unable to snuff out the fire lets your whole char bed burn down after shutdown. I think this led to the ash I found when I dumped char as I drove it a good bit on gasoline and the char had settled out. I’ll run her long enough to build a good char bed in then shut it down, i’ll know for sure when I do the next dump and look at what comes out. If I still have ash then i’ve got an air leak in the lower drum but I don’t think so. Everything looked pretty good and still felt very solid when I was under there yesterday.

The dump valve is no longer remote, I have to get down there and operate it now, but a t least it’s still usable.

Things really pile up when you neglect regular maintenance and service! :frowning:

No wife this trip, it just wasn’t her cup of tea, planning to camp on site as always.

2 Likes

Wow,

16K miles on original build is pretty respectable good work Gary!

Hope to see ya there

1 Like

Good morning brother Gary .

You will make my day if you make the trip .:grinning:

1 Like

What Wayne said ! ! !

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I’ll add that to the schedule. Also adding this:

3 Likes

Thanks Al!
I really want to see that unit.

I’ve run out of time to work on the truck, but it’s pretty much done and had the couple fires in it.
So, Y’all can join in the fun of cranking up on wood for the first time. ( I hope)

6 Likes

Slaving away over here, that tractor is a challenge, Starter died on it, perfect timing haha. Fortunately I had a newer style that had one the ears broke had to be creative to make it work but I got it on there. This left me no choice to set up the Alternator. Working on this now and am finalizing the gasser part of it to. Turbo is going to have to wait, Ill be working on getting one Micro S1 ready to go as well. I was hoping to leave on Thursday but its looking more like Friday now. :fire:

1 Like

@Chris , as I’m loadingup wood it occurred to me. I am bringing this trailer to pick up a generator. I will bring as much green wood as people want to take home. I have lots here. Should I fill my trailer up? Half full? I will bring a few bags back with me but that may be as much as this little truck can handle. I’m sure people will want to use that chunker all weekend.
The wood i am loading up is Poplar. It’s all green.

3 Likes

Well, don’t fill it to the roof… that’d be a LOT of wood. That’s a big trailer. Maybe a third full… remember Ron’s bringing some dry slabs to cut as well.

But anything you bring we’ll chunk, bag, and send home with unwitting victims people that need it. :wink:

3 Likes

5 day weather forecast looking good :grinning:

7 Likes

Thanks for the weather report Wayne. We’ve been waking up to frost or close to it everyday. Looks like I’m heading down to the tropics. Our trees are just starting to open some leaves now.
The Tamarack made my top 5 favorite trees. Here you can see the needles are coming back.

Chris, this is just a 5x8 trailer.

2 Likes

has anyone made the trip from new York area it looks like one way there straight down the thruway (90) I was wondering how the refill stops look I know they frown on stopping on the thruway.

1 Like

Hey Bill .

Looks like the temps are going to be in the 70s. I will make sure I wear a heavy coat :relaxed:

3 Likes

that’s a 5x8 enclosed trailer, probably 6 feet high. If you fill that with wood that’s nearly 2 cords. :cold_sweat:

==========

Pulled my chunker out, checked the tail lights. Turned it on for a bit, chunked some wood. It sat for over six months, but fired right up. Sure is nice to have a maintenance free tool. Put some air in the tires, and we’re ready to hit the road!

2 Likes

I leave in the morning. 46 bags of wood.

7 Likes

Mr Carl

I’m not going to have the Dakota done in time. I’m trying to patch the Ford up so it can make it. Would you like me to bring the fuel controller so you can put on a show? maybe a fuel pump too.

Paul not sure where exactly how far west you are but when I travel out east I cross over into Pennsylvania at Bingentom . I know I spelt that wrong. and take 80 west. It is much more mountain’s though. 90 is much flatter if I remember. No tolls on 80. Have a good trip wish I could make it this year. I have been looking forward to meeting you.

2 Likes

Schedules are printed.

3 Likes