Don's Geo Tracker Project - 2- - Charcoal

Doggone it Don, I can’t let you have the only charcoal powered vehicle at Argos. :grin::
This means I’ll have to bring my Ford Ranger. Too bad Bruce could not bring his MG too.
The Ranger does not have a lot of room in it for equipment so there will not be much to show, but it will still be fun. Looking forward to seeing your set up and comparing notes.
Gary in PA

7 Likes

Yup, I’m bummed out.

2 Likes

If my tuktuk would fit in the luggage… i would come…
but anyhow, one charcoal driver outnumbers … :grin:

5 Likes

I took a look at the nozzle yesterday after about 4 hours run time and although that is way too short of a time to judge long term reliability it does say something when I see no signs of oxidation or wear.

I am also starting to get an idea of fuel economy after two runs totaling 42 miles it looks like I am getting about 2.3 miles per pound on softwood charcoal and that includes a fair amount of time running but not driving and putting on miles. That sounds about right because I was getting between 1.75 to a little over 2 miles per pound with the wood burner.

4 Likes

that answers one of my big questions on wood VS charcoal. the other is, how much difference in the physical volume of the two fuels, and how many pounds of wood to make a pound of charcoal?

1 Like

Hi Don, After a 20 mile run I filled up my Ford. It used 9.6 pounds or 7.5 gallons of charcoal. That figures out to 2.1 pounds of charcoal per mile or 0.375 gallons per mile. This is mostly hardwood charcoal, but there is some aspen mixed in. I also used about a 1/2 cup of used motor oil in the fluid drip.

Hey, with Argos coming up, would you be interested in conducting a session on vehicle charcoal gasification? There may be enough interest for you, me, Jeff and others to sit around a scheduled event and talk (show) how we use charcoal for over the road vehicles. How our systems are designed, strengths and weakness and what can be improved. I want to tear my unit apart that day to see how the new design is working and there may be others interested too.
If there is enough interest, let me suggest doing this early afternoon on Saturday, say shortly after lunch?
Gary in PA

10 Likes

Great idea for Argos.
So does this mean you have the bugs worked out you were battling with?

3 Likes

That sounds good Gary. I’ll probably be listening like the rest of them because all the ideas I had came from you “the charcoal master”.

3 Likes

When I put wood chunks at 15% moisture in an onion sack it weighs about 25 lbs. That same size sack filled with engine grade charcoal weighs give or take 6 lbs.

3 Likes

In the name of all that is holy someone please video that talk!!!

5 Likes

I would encourage you to conduct the talk. I think it would be great.

I am still hoping to come to Argos, but don’t have it all worked out yet.

If I don’t make it, I would sure like to see the video.

2 Likes

Pleas, please do a show and tell. If you set a time and make a program out of it you will hopefully only have to answer our many many questions once and more of us will gain from all of the guys who are playing with charcoal. ( maybe hold it over behind one of the barns — on the dark side–) TomC

3 Likes

I’m with David, sure would like to see a video presentation. I am unable to attend this year and it is sounding to be better than ever.

4 Likes

euh, there might be something i don’t get… :grin:

9.6 pounds on 20 miles isn’t 0.48 pounds per mile ?

1 Like

Maybe time for new Batterys in your calculator Koen :grinning: I got it to 2.08333333333 with a fully charged up laptop .
Of course there is almost a certain chance that I don’t have a clue how to work it out properly :fearful:

Dave

2 Likes

Koens batteryes are workibg fine :grin:

1 Like

divide the pounds consumed by the miles done… :grin:

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhhhh you see I divided the miles done by the amount consumed , as with all motor manufactures they always give the MPG .

Dave , lmao

1 Like

What weighs more - a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? :grin:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that Jim. I was looking forward to talking with you again.

2 Likes