Doug's Plunge From The Land Of Frost

Doug, Ha ha, I have been called a lot of things in my life but this is the first time called a woodgas fairy :slight_smile:

Hope itā€™s not 10K Don. That wonā€™t work. I think mine was 10 ohms.

The dropping resistor I have to the fuel pump on my 98 S-10 is 4.12 ohms. It generates enough heat to be discolored and you can get burned on it so plan accordingly. It took some experimenting to come up with that fixed resistor. It was slightly different on the 97 Cavalier as that one controlled both the fuel pump and injectors. ML

Yeah Mike and Carl, I took another reading in better light and the right scale on the multimeter and it is 5 ohms.

Carl, on your 10 ohm, how far do you have to crank it to get the pump to dribble in ??? Is it about mid way ?? Don, Thanks for measuring yours. Take care of that ceramic as it could glow in there as it was meant for dash lights. I went out to start my 60 Buick around 20 years ago and it was full of smoke and the dash was hot. Something had cracked off the dimmer control and hit ground and the nichrome was smoking. After I bypassed the dimmer switch I would always disconnect the battery after use as I didnā€™t trust any of the wiring after that ā€¦ Mike

Hi Mike, Don, & Doug. A full 10 ohms would run it at a slow rate. It was only safe to turn up about 75% as the current got up around 4-5 amps and made a LOT of heat. Iā€™ve replaced it with a PWM that makes no heat, and on an 8 position switch gives consistant results. I burnt the first one up on the way home from Argos, and went to the PWM not long after.

Itā€™s my anniversary today (wifeā€™s strategy) and so a dinner and movie are planned. I needed to build something so that my wife wouldnā€™t look like a gasifier unit in my head all night. This is it. But, since I canā€™t weld more than 90 percent around each circumference, Iā€™ll need a chemical type of filler. Does anybody have a suggestion? I thought about welding the top lip that the air cleaner cover mates to but I cringe to think of that spider web Dodge metal for welding.

Hey Doug D,

Congratulation on the anniversary ,

The area you canā€™t reach with the welding I would vote to add a little silicone .

BBB

Silicone works great, but keep it all on the outside so none comes loose and enters the engine. :frowning:

Hi Doug, Iā€™m glad to see you are making progress. I almost have my new gasifier built. Hearth, Grate, Nozzles, all permanently in place. I plan to shorten the base this time. The last one was 4 or 6 inches too tall. I am trying 8, 3/8" OD copper tubes (4 inches long) this time for nozzles. I have to find a 14" diameter tube to braze over the lower part of the hearth. I used a 15" last time and the annular space wasnā€™t enough. It plugged with slipped char. I need to force all this friggin snow to melt so I can find my tire rims so I can get my gutter in there and I need to do a different lid this time. Hopper is 16" diameter. I donā€™t know what I will run it on yet. With all these medical problems Iā€™m having I have trouble lifting it up now. I need to pour some concrete in it after I get the lower stuff and gutter done. I have my engine hoist on the back of my black truck. No camera so no pictures ā€¦ Only us crazy guys care anyway. BTW, How high did propane go in your area ?? I heard they were forced to pay near 7 bucks a gallon up by Tom Cā€™s place ā€¦ Mike

Doug, OOPs, Happy Anniversary ā€¦ Ours was Sunday ā€¦ M

Hey Mike, I am progressing on the 12 tube with fins welded on, complete cooling rack cut and acid dipped on the ends. 2 gallon tank welded. Blowers assembled. Wiring through a 1/2 inch flex line from the battery to the rear bumper tomorrow. Air cleaner done except for butterflies. Distributer lever also gets on tomorrow. My 2 stall garage is full from just this project right now, so I tell the AMC Eagle to just keep on humming as I have no room for warm repairs on it. Had a dining room leak from 12 inch thick ice along 10 foot span.100 pounds of calcium chloride in panty hose kicked itā€™s butt in 3 days. Itā€™s now bare and dry. Propane is in shortage in the upper peninsula, but a coworker bought for $4.00 / gallon in Grand Haven this week. That hurt him. He bought $200 worth when $2000 would fill his tank. I have cheap natural gas, and always free wood for the garage. My wife always like to ask how many years weā€™ve been married, and I have to think a whileā€¦

The first picture displays a 10 gallon compressor tank (via the helpful Don Mannes) centered below the Dakota cross member. That leaves 3/8 inch next to each shock absorber. Very efficient. The second picture shows the environment I use to channel the mind of Wayne Keith. Except it is a dry heat :slight_smile:

Just watch out Doug when you work in that kind of heat that you donā€™t get weld radiation burns wearing just underwear and your straw hat! Did you throw too many ash logs in that double barrel stove now that it above zero outside?

No, it was a post sub freeze exercise to find out what I could heat to with my ample ash wood. With the wife controlling the house thermostat in the upper 60ā€™s, this is really my forbidden ice cream of my youth.

I no nothing about PWMā€™s and need to buy something to turn my fuel pump/injectors on/off or in between somewhere. I found these on Amazon,do you think they will work for me?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGXJSNY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=WATHQKX5PU8K&coliid=IYVG57C0J584J

Ron H

The short answer is probably not. For a detailed explanation of PWM controllers see my post at;

Chris,

Doug started his thread in the projects area - shouldnā€™t this be in the Builders Discussion area?

Henry, Iā€™ll only need to move it if we get into ā€œdeepā€ gasifier territory. I like regular folks to be able to see some projects happening on the siteā€¦

You know Henry, when I met Wayne for the first time in Kansas and he explained all his components with the two of us standing in the pick up box, I still understood maybe 1/2 of it. Operational tactics begin to knit it together and desire drives that.

Wife told me tonight while she was paying bills, that the electric utility bill has been at least $100 / month higher than last year for the same season. Thatā€™s what I get for listening to talk radio while welding and plasma cutting :slight_smile: