DOW Driving Habits

Michael, take a look at the video I posted on Life Goes On, Winter 2017 page. You will like it. No sun shinning in that video.
Bob

Thanks Bob. That was a beautiful ride. Very interesting landscape you have there. Make sure you keep the videos coming during springtime when it’s getting green.

2 Likes

What are all the orchards? Love the mountains off in the distance. The road looked quite flat but yet I heard you getting on the throttle a lot. Thanks for taking us for a ride. TomC

1 Like

Thanks again Bob .

I just went for another ride with you and it was as good as the first :grinning:

3 Likes

We have Apples, Peaches, Pears, Cherry orchards, also Grape vineyards. Wenatchee has a Big sign, “The Apple Capital Of The World”, when coming into the town. A lot of the Apple orchards are gone now, cherries have taken over, a lot more monies in cherries. It might look flat but there is a slight grade. Rolling hill roads every where and hill climbing 6% grades to climb. This makes it a challenge around here. That is why when I rebuilt the fire tube I put 12 nozzles in, and increased the cooling rail capacity. I still need to hybred on a lot of the hill roads to keep up with traffic. Wenatchee, and East Wenatchee are built on the banks of the Columbia River, it a big Gorge with Mountains on both sides.
Bob

5 Likes

I just looked Wenatchee up on the map. Looks pretty. I went swimming in Soap Lake in '47. Brother had ring worm an it cured it within days. I see Moses Lake on the map. I know that name but I don’t remember why. Is that near Crater Lake. If it is, then it makes sense. I got a ticket for fishing with no fishing license. TomC

2 Likes

Moses Lake is where I grew up. It is 22 miles south of soap lake. Yes soap lake was the cure all lake back then. The mud is still being used, smearing on the body. The water in the lake has become deluded down from the irrigation water project built back in the late 30s and early 40s, the largest in the world at that time. You put water on the dry land and it going to go some where. The lake does not make soap like suds and blow through the town any more on windy days, from the waves hitting the shore. That was a site to see suds every where rolling down the streets of the town.
East Wenatchee is 60 miles from Moses Lake.
Bob

2 Likes

Hi Wayne, I guess it would be nice to ride again in your 92 Dakota you built a few years back, I promise I will not change the color of the black paint on the truck, and I will probably keep the red interior, that red, it kinda grows on you.
Bob

1 Like

Oh yeah, the old “distracted driving” ticket.

Do you have that same law in your state?

1 Like

Same thing here in every province now, I believe. Seems to be most attractive as a revenue generator.

Texting and driving is a problem, no doubt. But hands free talking on the phone is ok, (according to the powers that be), when studies have shown holding the phone has no greater impact on safety.

But a giant center console screen with all your vehicle features and settings is fine. And police are permitted to play on their laptops while driving, because they are purportedly professional drivers… hmm…

4 Likes

Yes, we have the same law here. Watch some youtube car crash vids taken from driver’s perspective. You will constantly ask yourself, " what the blank is this driver looking at as they run full speed into the rear end of a car or semi"???
Scary!

2 Likes

I have had a close call adjusting my radio years ago, let the passenger do it if you have one.
Bob

1 Like

Thats sort of why i havent did any drive vidios yet. Bob have you cleaned your carbon on that dakota yet i havent seen a good intake clean out in a while.Or maybe should ask Wayne K for permission too post carbon clean intake manifold vidio.

Kevin, last winter about this time I put my truck in a friends shop, I was has having backfiring problems when driving on wood and suspected my Pentium plate under the intake leaking. Pulled the intake off and removed the plate. Now even though I had burned my intake out a few times, I didn’t expect to see the carbon build up that was in there, lots of build up. Got it all chip and scraped out to bare metal put the new Pentium plate on and no more back fireing problems while driving on wood, and performance was better. I think it is about time to do a clean out, before I have a event of smoke. I will look at my throttle plates and see how they look soon.
@Wayne has a video of doing a intake clean out maintenance.
One other thing I do is clean my hay filter a lot. I cleaned it in October and will clean it in 500 to 700 miles. I do all the cooling rails and condensation tank, and other piping from hay filter to condensation tank. Soot blockage is not good. I did a quick clean out last summer and it got me. Driver side rails went cold. Block with soot going into the condensation tank on that side. It was still run fine down the road.
I understand why @Wayne builds redundancy into his gasifier builds.
In the winter time it is hard to get water to the out side. Irrigation is shut down and potable water to outside is turned off and pipes drained out. I might have to flush my hot water tank out, hot water is great for cleaning the soot out of the hay filter and pipes.
Bob

1 Like

THANKS Bob on the intake dakota info, i dident think the dakotas had a serprize smoke out. That dakota type fuel air systom sure would be nice too have for carbon or in my case carbon cake from no hay filter, for fast maintainence. Most the chevys are wrong type system for the carbon fast clean. Too find a way too get chevys too flash burn the intake carbon would be nice too.Nothing against dodges though there are more chevys i think in michigan, lots of 4.3 s10 models. Power seems fairly Good and slitely better mpg on petro any way. AND I HAVE AN ICE SLUG IN MY LINE TOO FIND, no vac pull volum today.

1 Like

Morning routine .

9 Likes

That was great Wayne on the shut down 45 mins. and start up and letting the engine get the gasifier back up to temp. That V-10 sounds and runs great. It nice having some one run the camera for you, we get to see you in operation of the truck more. Thanks for the ride.
Bob

2 Likes

Ya hada cows fed. Should have put on you ice skates and enjoyed a little ice skating. Kinda like the idea of mak’n lemonade when given lemons. Oh, you might want to take a bar of soap with you while on the ice, it don’t look too thick. TomC

1 Like

18 months ago I made a summertime video idling around the village. Today I made the same tour in wintertime.
No talking this time. Only because I don´t have a voice yet, since the flu.
At the end of the 10 min video I show the “outof cyclone” temp. Still 120C / 250F. Winter temps don´t seem to affect internal heat at all.

13 Likes