DOW Driving Habits

love the sound… V10 on woodgas… i better stop dreaming…

3 Likes

Agree, the sound of that engine is majestic!

2 Likes

Hm, and I just made a video of the tiny straight 4 cyl :disappointed: You can’t hear the motor anyway with all the noise in the bucket cab.

Well, at least it’s 100% wood idling. Inspecting the wood supply.

8 Likes

That is a nice wood supply!

2 Likes

Looks like you have a lot off work ahead of you with the wood that is down right at the opening moments of the video. Are those your woods or some public land that you can cut on.? Take the rebak and generator up there and get some VW food made up. I have to say, I am surprised at how large your trees are. TomC

3 Likes

The land belonged to my grandparents. 60-70 years ago that land was all farming land/fields. Now days we are four households heating with wood. All collecting firewood from that same land and still most go to waste, rotting, dying.

I try to sell some firewood from time to time, but the demand has been low lately. However the wood you saw down is for a couple of customers.
I’ve been waiting for the ground dry up some before delivering. A few small batches I’ll cut and split and deliver with the Rabbit and trailer and the rest will be delivered full lengths with the Fergie and lumber trailer.

I’ll quote Mr Wayne: “I don’t really need it” I have several thosand miles of wood chunked up already but a lot of that young growth you saw needs clearing and yes, some will be Rebak/VW food :grin:

6 Likes

Hey JO

I have made the statment that I may have enough wood to do me the rest of my life .

I don’t know if that is a good statement :grin: or a bad one :confounded:

11 Likes

Mr Wayne,
I guess it all depends on the amount of wood then. The more wood the longer (and happier) life :smile:

6 Likes

Ha! You guys are so lucky. I still havent got a propper chunker and have only about 400km worth of wood left for my everyday woodburner :unamused: soon, looks like the old trusty zimerman (builders hachet) wil be neaded soon… Well, a afternoon of good will and a sixpack of beer and l shuld have enough wood for a month :wink:

5 Likes

This is NOT my normal driving habits but I did throttle up a little while on the big road this morning .

10 Likes

Now that is the “can-do”, “will-do” spirit.
A man, his willpower, and his hatchet can go far to make a sustainable world for himself, and his family.
Yep.Yep. Beer the better fuel for this versus wine. Safer. More fueling carbohydrates and refreshing H2O versus the social-make-happy of straight -unwatered wine.
Practice. Patience. Persistence.
J-I-C Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Wayne,

Your truck accelerates better on wood thain my car on petrol :smile:

3 Likes

Made a video of my DOW habbits :slight_smile:

This is my everyday routine, plus washing the cooler every second or third day (just takes a minute of my time). All the wood for the gasifier gets produced with that litle hatchet, got her last year for a birthsday present from my brother in law, l must say l cant remember the last time someone gave me such a usefull present :grin:

The video turned out a bit long, sorry:wink:

9 Likes

Hi Kristian,
Thanks for the video. You sure live in a beautiful country. Apart from not being gasifier friendly I love those steep hills. A bit like Norway, our neighbour.
A question if you don´t mind: At lightup you cranked up the motor and started a blower as well? Is that just to get some extra draft? Where does your blower pull? Before or after filtering? Blows too air, right? (I didn´t see any smoke) How do you shut that outlet? Sorry, that´s more than one question :wink:

1 Like

Ha! l like the hills allso, untill hay harvest seson :wink: then its walk behind tractor from dusk to dawn.

Extra draft yes, and l like to warn the engine just a bit. Specialy in colder temperatures, startup without gasoline is hard if not impossible.
The blower is in the engine compartment, after all the filtration. l did see some thin smoke with my hotfolter on the previous sistem at lightups, but this hayfilter/scrubber makes invisible gas at startup.
The startup gas is vented out trugh a pipe next to the licence plate.
The non return flap started to stuck so l put it out and put a manual 1" plumbing valve in. Simple and effective.

5 Likes

Hello Kristijan

Thanks for the ride :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan ,
I enjoyed the morning drive with you this morning thanks so much for the ride .
Dave

2 Likes

Thanks for the ride K L. I see you have the same signs in Slovenia that we have in America.

Your engine must have seen that sign too because it quit right there :grin:

2 Likes

Nice ride Kristijan. We enjoy it when our DOW is routine, but it is seldom “routine”. Every ride is a treat for us, and we get to play with fire every day! Pretty country side. What is the speed limit on the open road?

3 Likes

Good one Don :smile:
Ofcorse, something has to go wrong when you try to film or show someone your sistem. Atleast thats what happens to me :wink:
Carl
Wery true.

50kmh in populated area, 90 open roads, 130 highway.

4 Likes