DOW Driving Habits

Rainy weekend .

7 Likes

While it seldom rains that heavily here in the pacific NW, it does rain often
I have often noticed that my truck is the only one putting off a steam cloud in the grocery parking lot

Makes it easy to find

9 Likes

That’s funny, Michael !
We’ve had very little rain this spring (cold though). Ground water levels are the lowest in decades.

We’re having an extremly nice Sunday evening right now. Been at work all day but I couldn’t resist go prepare for another customer load of wood when I got home.

Trying to compete with Mr Wayne’s videos isn’t easy. Tried some rear-view mirror filming here with so-so results :smile:
Please let me know if I bore you with too much Rabbit material.

12 Likes

Mr. JO; Thank you for the very educational video. I have written General Motors on at least three occasions asking them to come out with a front wheel drive pickup. My interest came from driving a VW beetle in the snow. With rear wheel drive and rear engine, I went where regular cars and especially pickup trucks could not go. You once told me that a FWD looses traction when pulling a load. Seeing is believing. What about loading the bed of the truck? Does that take weight off the front end or transfer some of the weight to the front wheels. As always enjoyed the scenery around you home. TomC

3 Likes

For the same reason, RWD loses traction when backing up a steep or slippery hill. We used to fuss at our UPS driver when he would try to back his truck up our steep gravel driveway. It never worked very well… his rear tires would just dig holes in the gravel. He could go straight up just fine though.

1 Like

Hello JO

Thanks for the video .

Yes hauling wood with wood is fun !!

I thing your truck uses much less wood when hauling wood with wood than the amount of wood my truck uses when hauling wood with wood :grinning:

5 Likes

Aaah the ratling sound of the good old vw. Brings back memories. My wifes first car, golf 2, had the same ornament, amoung many :smile: still have it, wanted to start it a few days back, burned my batery clams. I wanted to see adiesel run on woodgas, well, perhaps some other day.
I see the grass got green in Sweden!

Oh, l allmost forgot. Waynes video triggered me to ask you guys how your sistems work in rainy weather.

I ask this becouse l wad expecting bad performance on mine, becouse the droplets splashing from tires shuld end up in my gasifier air intake at rainy conditions, decreseing efficiancy, but its the other way around. It seems to drive best in the rain. Not sure, but l think its in the wet cooler being supercool with moveing air dvaporative cooling the gas in a rich, dry fuel sorce.

4 Likes

Your cooler will benefit more than most of ours, being directly in the spray from the road. I think that’s most of what you’re seeing.

The water coming in the intake shouldn’t help or hurt unless you’re running charcoal. There’s already excess water in a wood gasifier.

2 Likes

It probably does since most of the load will end up behind the rear axle with a gasified truck.

Yes, finally. Just finished first lawn mowing 5 min ago.[quote=“KristijanL, post:67, topic:3088”]
how your sistems work in rainy weather.
[/quote]

Can’t tell no difference in rain.
I often try to think of reasons for small differences in performance. Next trip I’ve ruled out one and come to think if another one which is ruled out on another trip and so on.
With small gasifiers like ours I think we will have to live with 5-10% up or down in power as the char moves down. Actually I’m still surpriced we’re running as consistent as we are.

2 Likes

Yall get in and we will go for a little ride DOW

5 Likes

I bet you folks are getting some nice weather ounce the rain Quit. It turned chilly. Last few weeks or so around here in michigan. You must have a nice size heat exchanger on the dakota running cool before the rails or just takeing the slow rout.?? Glad you out enjoying the nice weather at least its mild weather. Thats the way my WK truck works so far havent seen over 250 at the rails on 25 mile runs.

1 Like

Nice little day trip yesterday for wife and I :relaxed:

In the video I said 15 inches on the hopper , I should have said 15 inches at the rails .

5 Likes

Wayne I think you missed your calling. I think you should have been a movie producer. I am amazed at how well you explain everything as you travel on wood. It’s a joy to watch how smooth the truck runs on your trips especially with all the details. Keep up the good work with the video’s.

5 Likes

Good morning all.

Below is a short video of working the V-10 yesterday in general use.

Early today I put 25 miles on the dakota and may put about 75 more DOW miles down today :blush:

6 Likes

Hello, Mr Wayne!
Always fun watching those young calves jumping around. They seem to be the only ones bother wasting a few calories when the V10 shows up :smile:

2 Likes

I did not see any “weeds” in your fields.
Even in the ditches and corners.

Your fields look better than my lawn, but I like buttercups and dandelions

3 Likes

Short video of the work truck .

4 Likes

Your old ram v10 sure pulls a meen Load. Running on your drive on wood gasifier.

2 Likes

The open road, and very little traffic. I like it. I like the flat straight road even more.

2 Likes

I hope I am not hogging this thread but I just love driving on wood :relaxed:

5 Likes