DOW Driving Habits

Hello Wayne
Good video’s
I have a couple of questions, I see that your RPM’S run right on up towards 4000 real quick. On mine the RPM will go to a little past 3000 and then starts to hold back, this seems to be normal for it but always thought it should do better.
What does the vacuum reading normally run up to when winding up to a pasted 3000 in a good pull.

Hello Mr. Jim.

The vacuum reading will depend on how tight the char bed is but I think my 30 inch vacuum gauge will be pegged.

With the dakotas I have gasified it seems they have there best power from 3000 up to 3900. They would rev more but the truck acceleration did best to shift up at 3900.

Pulling this hard on the gasifier is OK for short periods but to hold this throttle and rpms for any lenght of time would heat up the gasifier.

You might try loosening the char bed and making sure there is little resistance in the hay filter or pumping . Also pine wood .

Thanks Wayne
My vacuum gauge reads about the same way, I have a gauge on the rails and one on the post hay filter and they read close to the same .So its not in the filter.
I have tried every thing you mentioned except I haven’t used much strait pine.

Ditto!
Another 60 miles today and still a few hours left until bedtime :grin:

6 Likes

JO Thanks for the ride int the rain. It is better you get the rain intermittently over time than what we got. The spring had been fairly usual. The farmer that rents my farm got the ground all worked up and planted to corn. That very night, we got 3 inches of rain in one hour. The rain came to fast to soak in even with the fields all loosened up, so it ran off and cause terrible erosion. I am sure the farmer is upset at the loss in the field, but I am more upset with the permanent damage done to the fields. Maybe the farmer can rent the “river” to farm next year. That is where all of my top soil went. TomC

1 Like

Mr Tom,
I haven´t heard from you for a while so I thought you were glued to the lawn mower. Now i know you´ve been seeking shelter.
I´m sorry about your top soil. Have your farmer grow gasifier fuel instead. Their roots will make the soil stay put better than corn and you could sneak out at nights and snatch all the 2 inch material.
3 inches in an hour - that´s a lot of rain. It would take two mounths in average to collect that much where I live.

2 Likes
9 Likes

Hello Billy North .

Just wanted to let you know your rain come on over the mountain . The drought is over :grin:

5 Likes

Good morning Wayne K we sure been getting more than enough rain, your drive is a little low for all the rain, lots of open road out your way.BBB SWEM HWWT.Thanks for sharing your design. We know it works good in all weather, Even hot hummid alibama on rainy days. Its been hummid hot or back too chilly up here in MI too us snow birds anyway.

Went for a Sunday ride. I don’t have a Sunday truck but the little Rabbit didn’t mind a Sunday meal.

This is a sightseeing trip the way I think Mr Tom Collins likes them.

I apologize for the bad sound my camera glasses produce. Also, for some reason, they devide everything into 3 min videos.

7 Likes

Thanks for the ride JO. Those glasses take decent videos. You have unique fences there

And I also saw one of America’s favorite cars.

Next time take more wood - I could easy ride along a while yet!

6 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed the ride. My wife, and dog and I went to Marinette for Chinese food and did a little shopping. When I got home I turned on my “tablet” to see what was happening on DOW. Your videos came up and I watched them. Then I came downstairs to my desktop computer because it has a bigger screen and better speakers. I showed my wife part of the video on the tablet and she said, " That is a neutral country that is not involved in any of those wars over there; Lets take a trip. It is beautiful".
A lot of camper trailers on the road. That surprises me with the price of gas over there. I was trying to recognize the type of vehicles that they
were pulling them with. The trailers looked to be about the size that many people here pull up to the woods or a lake for the weekend. But of course we would have to have a 4WD truck so we could pull the trailer down the road at 70+ mph ( most places the speed limit is 65 but everyone believes that the police won’t give you a ticket for 5 mph over the limit)
The lake that you passed by looks like a great spot to take your boat and kids on a hot summers day. If I ever put my woodtruck back together I have wanted to take youal on a trip around which would include a lake that is very popular here.
The '57 Chevy didn’t get past me either Don.
I was amazed at the number of people walking around in the down town area. But Kristijan is not the only one that likes to see people-- especially ladies at the beach. Just kidding. I am ashamed when like today I wait in the car for my wife to do her shopping, and I see all the people coming and going. The only ones that are not over weight are kids under the age of 8. I include myself in that group of over weight. This part of the country in particular is over weight.
Where your video starts out, is that considered a town? Seems like a lot of houses. They are too close together to be just farm land, but far enough apart to be maybe suburbs, not close like a town.
I see where the idea of " round abouts" came from. Our state highway department just found out about them a couple of years ago, and now they are replacing every “STOP” sign with a “round about”. You can take the politest person on the street and put them in a car and send them through a “round about” and they become an AJ Foyt or Mario Andrettie.
I am going aback and watch the videos again Thanks TomC

4 Likes

Ha! A joyride ah? Havent done this in a while…

l have seen those fences in that Swedish film you showed us a while back. Like them. What are they made out of?

Ha, thanks for showing us the people :smile:
And ou look cool in those glasses :smile:

2 Likes

Mr Don,
You’re observant on details.

Those fences are still quite common around here. They used to be for fencing in critters in the old days. Young spruce cleared to improve timber’s growing power. Tied together with finger thin spruce plants split in half and soaked in hot water not to break when making eights around the double standing posts.
Fencemakers pay 2$ a piece for delimbed 10-12 foot spruce, even more if debarked as well. I’ve made some good hourly wages that way. Bowsaw and hatchet gives the highest quality end result.

About the Chevy.
Old American cars from the 50s and 60s have always been popular in Sweden. Especially in the middle part where I live. There are lots of meets in summertime. In the town of Rättvik where I ended my video there is “Classic car week” every summer with hundereds of old am cars in mint condition showing up.

No, just old villages that have become more denst for every generation. It has alway been very common for farmers here to live in the village but have there land miles away. Also I think there is a tradition of building close together in this part of the country because it has always been wolf territory. 90% of the swedish wolf population for some reason stay put in this middle 10% area. Except late 1800s early 1900s when they were close to eliminated. Ever since government and city enviromentalists have worked hard to help them grow in numbers. Hunters and rural people object. A very delicate problem here. You get jail time if you shoot a wolf. SDKQ is common (shoot, dig and keep quiet).
Mr Tom, listen to your wife. You’re welcome to visit.

Kristijan, I may look good in the glasses :wink: but the video doesn’t look as good. They don’t give the scenery justice. I think I’ll save them for looking down the hopper.

4 Likes

The 1957 Chevy with the 283 cc engine, my FAVORITE car. I believe that body style began with the 1953 chevy and ended with the greatest looking chevy in 1957. 1958 began a new gull wing rear fender style.

3 Likes

Hello JO

Thanks for letting us ride along with you . Enjoyed the ride very much. Beautiful country .

2 Likes

Great filmography! I love the iron oxide? red. Beautiful country, trees, grass, wolves? I still prefer the country. Very few trucks. You should enter a car show, every time I do, I win a prize “modified truck”!!

2 Likes

Thanks Mr Wayne and Mr Carl.

Yep, that’s our main problem over here :smile:

J.O.
Here PNW Rural it is SSS
Shoot. Shovel. (quickly!) Shut (the hell) up about it.
Nothing makes for as bad of neighbor relationships as shooting their chicken-killing, horse/cow/sheep chasing dog.
“Seen my dog around?”
“The one you cannot keep onto your own property? Nope. Haven’t seen him running around loose in days.”
Sigh. And I do love dogs . . . . some of the irresponsible owners now . . . .
Can’t shoot 'em (the owners). Sueing them gets real expensive. And taking them to Animal Court just gets your own animals poisoned later; your fences cut so now YOU have the run-abouts problems.
So . . .
To have Peace and Quiet sometimes requires one to be very, very quiet to get that peace.
Harmony; I leave to god and angel’s. Way beyond my capabilities.
J-I-C Steve unruh

5 Likes

Hello all.

It has been a while that anyone posted here so I thought I would put up a couple of videos. I haven’t posted much but have been putting down a lot miles .

Also our gasoline here seems to have jumped up about 40 cents a gallon . I know because I saw the price signs posted at gas stations as I DOW right on by . :smile:

The last couple of weeks I put down a lot of miles gathering hay mower parts .

My hay roller is down and today I did some running around gather parts for it .

7 Likes