DOW Driving Habits

Ok I just wondered cous I have a few of them they are pretty decent control ers ! Well hopefully I’ll have my unit up and and going soon working on stationary unit to run 454 spinning ,30kw gen for water heater and electric figerd I burn a shit ton of wood 8 months a season maswill get something for my hard work heat with wood last 10yeas and my electric is insane 300 ! I’m done !!

2 Likes

Hey Chris it’s Paul I was just wondering has anybody tried perlite for fire tube lining

Perlite is pretty fine and if one were to use it in a gasifier system as an insulator, the welds would have to be perfect or it may plug your system, real quick. So say one were able to get the welds perfect, you have to remember, woodgas eats mild steel. Builders here with many miles on their vehicles are patching holes because of the corrosive properties.

What would plug the system! Perlite can be mixed with sodium silicate known as water glass and can be formed as a hard shell. It can withstand temperatures over 2000 degrees

1 Like

Hell I don’t know I was just thinking outside the box I bought Wayne’s book about a month or so ago I’ve been playing with the wood gas in Since 02 off and on just couldn’t get it. Tar free . 5 compressed it I burned it in gas furnaces gas boilers Rand Motors on it compressed. I like to experiment . In 02 is the first time I came across it I stumbled upon it playing around on land-line computer when they were dinosaurs when computers first were coming out always been interested in it after the first time through one together and seen it burn off the end of the pip! I thought though dam that’s cool as hell!!

3 Likes

Paul; You mentioned perlite. We have had a couple of members, who have experimented, successfully, with “ceramic wool”. Don Mannes has used regular WK design (sort of) with steel tube and one with ceramic wool; plus a build on charcoal, so pay attention to which build you look up.
The other build was the initial build with ceramic wool. Look up these two. Firebrick gasifier (modified WK), 94 Dakota and Featured Project _ Dustin Moore’s Firebrick Gasifier TomC

1 Like

Look on this forum or YouTube.

1 Like

I think I’m just going to go with out insulation on this one if it last winter running non-stop I’ll build one out of stainless fire tube is Wayne’s design!

1 Like

Hello all,

I was planning to video hybrid driving up the mountain but didn’t have to add any gasoline after all .

8 Likes

That is really impressive Wayne, how your Dakota operates going up and over the mountain grade. I know it has a lot to do with the operator of the gasifier truck. You are a Master Builder and Operator of wood gasification and that is no brag just FACT. I hope you and the wife had a wonderful drive together and have many more road trips to come.
Bob

5 Likes

Putting miles on the wood burner :grinning:

5 Likes

I sometimes worry about the advanced timing when running hybrid
My 95 F250 has a distributor and definitely gives a boost in power when advanced on wood gas, and the starter doesn’t like it if I forget and try to start on gasoline.

But my hearing isn’t great so have never heard any pings when running hybrid. My thoughts are that there is enough high octane wood gas to prevent detonations?

When on a long climb (miles) I usually retard the timing to stock. The cpu seems to have a 25 degree adjustmentrange and my manual advance is 25 degrees

5 Likes

Good morning Mr. Gibb

I can not hear the ping ether but my wife or son will bring it to my attention . :grinning:

If going to hybrid I will go back to standard timing .

4 Likes

At highway speeds the timing set doesn’t seem to have much effect. When running hybrid, I leave it advanced, but at low speed I will retard it to stock. As a side note, ever since I got the “valve job” this spring, I have not had a single intake backfire. Not even when I forget.

9 Likes

Thanks Wayne, Michael, and Carl. I have not been doing that when hybrid driving , I will try it out and see if it makes a difference. More of the other 75% that we DOW drivers need to know.
Bob

3 Likes

What Carl said. However I only hybrid at heavy accelleration or highspeed. With only a fuel switch the lambda can’t handle a gentle throttle (runs rough). There’s no need hybriding at low speeds anyway.
Never ever heard a ping from this engine.
I never checked degrees of advance but it’s enough to kick back at crankup whether it’s on gasoline or woodgas if I forget to retard.
Never had a backfire if I forget to advance - light surging at open road speed though. Only time there’s a noticable boost in power when advancing is the first 200 yards of weak gas. And higher idle of course.

3 Likes

Hello all.

It has been a while that I posted here so I will put up a very short video.

While out running around with the V-10 Ram today I noticed it rolled over 31,000 miles .

10 Likes

Here I am hogging this thread again :disappointed_relieved:

If anyone has some woodgas driving video post a few up here .

9 Likes

I do :smile: I hope i don´t bore you with all the Rabbit stuff.
I know I will never get tired of your videos Wayne, but I agree, I would also like to see driving videos from others.

Oldest daughter shot this video two hours ago when I gave her a lift.

10 Likes

Thanks for the rabbit ride. The road you were on, do they ever plow it or the cars just pack it down? Glad to hear your daughter is taking a shoot/hunting course. I myself do not believe in killing animals but think everyone should know there way around a gun with no fear. My wife just hollered down the stairs that my license to carry a concealed weapon came in the mail today. We sent them in together an she got hers last week and she was saying they probably found out I was a little crazy. City folks hearing that I try to drive a truck on wood chunks instead of gasoline, they would label me as crazy. TomC

8 Likes