DOW Driving Habits

I don’t have any driveing videos but my truck is getting ready to pass the 20k mark. Been driving it daily since the first day i started it up.

7 Likes

So, what kind of sausage did you want on your pizza the other day ? :smile:

4 Likes

Haha good morning laugh :smile:

3 Likes

Uhhhh!! I am just a softy. I can eat meat if it is prepared and on a bun or cheese with bread dough. I just can’t stand to see an animal go from a living creature to a dead creature. Came in from hunting pheasant and was putting stuff in the car and a flock of pigeons flew out of the barn. Thoughtlessly I pull up and shot one. It landed about 15 feet from me and I had only winged it. It was flopping and screaming. I put another shell in the gun and blew feathers all over. I thought, “why did I do that. I had no intention of eating the bird and he certainly never had done anything to me??”. Never shot another critter for sport. TomC

5 Likes

I am with you Tom. I have nothing aginst hunting or butchering, but killing for fun is wrong. Every criter is worthy of respect, exept homo sapiens some times…

10 Likes

Fellows. There is one more needs-musts killing category. Critter euthanizing for dying pain/agony.
Once-was true test of a man (or woman) was to shoot your own dog comes this needs-must time.
Sigh. I still do this. I live rural.
I’ve found just as humanizing/challenging is to sit with the pet in-lap as they shave for a good vien and push in the heart-stopping injection.
And before either of these to have set aside normal-life and invested the time and effort to make your pet-buddies last days as meaningful as possible.

I cannot abide those who are O.K. with the easy days and throw away the pet-buddy when they as shot-lifers inevitably, age-out, ill-out really needing and asking for help.
If you cannot do the whole full deal from birth to death do not start in the first place.

Bluntly: some humans insist on being extremely irresponsible and inhumane. So . . . .
tree farmer Steve Unruh

13 Likes

Agreed that killing living things for sport isn’t ethical. But, pigeons are good eating, if comically small. :smile:

Pretty much miniature flying chickens, which is why they were brought to North America. Yum…

Sorry for being off-topic, but this is right what you said @SteveUnruh. It’s not the good time that proove and test yourself.
I grew up with dogs in my family. We had to euthanise both in the end due to cancer. They weren’t able to walk anymore, even with painkillers. So we decided to redeem them.
We convinced the pet to come to our house. Was not easy, because normally they don’t do this in germany.
But in this way, they got the injection in our garden and we didn’t had to push them in the car and in the vetinary practicy, which would have been very stressfull for them.
Even if you know that is better for your dog, it is very hard to watch them doing the last breath.

12 Likes

How true, Steve. I had a young German Shepard that I neglected to get shots for. He got distemper. I loved that pooch and I couldn’t shoot him, so my Dad had to, as this 21 year old stood by crying. I’ve got tears in my eyes now just recalling it.
I’ve only shot one deer in my life and a couple of partridge and 2 pigs. I never had another dog to this day.
I thank God every day that I never had to use my 16 in Nam.

8 Likes

Tom, when I was in my pre-teens I had a B B gun. Rather good using it. Just shot at stuff not animals. Then one day a bird was flying by at what I felt was at safe distance so I took aim and pulled the trigger, knowing I would miss. Down it fell, dead as a door nail, so to speak. I felt lower than dried dog shit! Now a days I have to get really mad at something to shoot it, like a woodchuck in my garden.

5 Likes

Was going to pass this one up, but since I see Mr. Tom and some of the other “stay-on-subject-fellows” have decided it’s worthy of the deviation, I’ll chime in too. …

I suppose this subject, like so many others, has everything to do with worldview.
I have no trouble killing animals----properly…as I believe that is why the creator put them here. But mindlessly destroying someone’s creation as if it had no value is an affront to the creator.

I tend to feel that killing is a bit distasteful, and if I am going to consume meat, then I should be willing to do the job. So butchering and hunting don’t really bother me. But…we lived in a community once where the main sport of the boys was finding and killing rats and mice (sometimes torturing actually.) I got into a pretty good bit of trouble when I wouldn’t allow my boys to run with those boys. I figure if rats need killing, then kill them, as efficiently and painlessly as possible. But hurting something because you like to see it squirm is pretty twisted I would say, and gets pretty close to one of the characteristics of my definition of evil. .

Pepe, I am with you about being thankful you never had to pull on a person. I look back to my Army days and thank God each time when I think what might have been in Afghanistan or Iraq. Praise God that He spared me that.

10 Likes

Well now, after my bird story I have declared war on a band of invading squirrels ! ! ! Trap is set and decided to finish the job with the pellet rifle. The 22 would bust up a nice trap. Had a problem finding bait without having to buy a big bag at the feed store. So I headed too the grocery store for unroasted and unsalted nuts. No luck. I thought I would just use mouse bait peanut butter. Then it hit me, buy a gourd and use the seeds, then I remembered that I eat avocados and dates… - - Prepared for all out war ! ! ! And on topic because I am defending my gasification shop. Just when I thought I perfected the war on mice ! ! !

2 Likes

Driveing too parents home for christmas.

when i shut the truck down i noticed a little smoke leaking out my air intake cable.

10 Likes

Thanks for the pictures Kevin. Looks like you have the wood burner going your way .

2 Likes

Thanks Wayne K, I run it up pretty fast for the roads, the roads were better on way home.Its idleing much better with gas in at the top of carb, no stalling running good.The hopper temp is the bottom gauge after driveing. 35 too 45 mph for 20 minuts range. The next hotest temp is the exoust pipe exiting my grait area heading for the cyclone. The third hottest gauge is the smoke entering the top of my cooling rack comeing from my hopper heater jacket.Once i change the cyclone out for your WK heat recovery exchangers it will likely have better yet performance.Thanks for the learning Wood Gas site.

4 Likes

Happy New Year brother Michigander-- I’m originally from Sturgis. Looking at your temperature gauges; the hopper temp looks reasonable, but if when you say, " exoust pipe exiting my grait area heading for the cyclone" you are talking about the woodgas coming from the grate to the cyclone, that seems EXTREMELY low. Am I missing something here? TomC

1 Like

Hi tom I heard you lived in michigan a while,i think its was the cold weather keeping it that low , and i have my two cyclones hooked up seperate from hopper heater too the cool rails all the way too the air cleaner air mixer, so its pulling slower on each pipe. And when it was warmer out it was hotter about 340f%. I havent tryed it yet in the zero weather though.i think it was only about 30% f saterday before christmas. I compared the gauge readings with seperate infered temp gauge. I need another temp gauge so i can see temp on both sides of cyclone entrance pipes,and then can tell witch side of the grate is pluging most. .So far no signs of sticky carb plates.Happy New Year.

2 Likes

I cooked another 1/2 barrel of wood or so while out site seeing, Shut it down and could touch one of my exit pipes from the grate area and the other was a little too hot too hold or touch for long so my gauges are fairly acurate.The power was supper, allmost like gasoline in this 10 f % weather and small wood that was on my wood heater drying 3 too 4 days.Not driving any fast speeds on the snowy roads.just enough too keep the grate clean incase.Seems rather UNBELEIVABLE giving it the wood while excellerating.I acidenly hit the fuel pump switch at start up, otherwize it starts well in cold weather with out any petro at all, and was idleing nice and low at shut down, so i see no problems with the smaller chunked wood for tar or brigding so far. HWWT.THANKS TOO CHRIS SEANZ AND WAYNE KEITH, bringing the DOW TOO LIGHT.

8 Likes

Well i am enjoying my wood pile drives.So i post a few pics from tooday.my center temp gauge is faulty , and it went too my crossover too cyclone pipe from the grate, the grate too cyclone temp is normal 6 too 8 hundred % f. Top gauge goes too top of cool rack,bottom gauge is hopper.

![20171230_134206|500x500](/uploads/defaul20171230_134520|500x5007 Its much more fun driveing when tooling along on wood.And the snow is still on bottom of cool rack. After i got ware i was going, and 1/2 hour later the wood restarted and ran with about one float bowl worth of gasoline too start making drivable wood gas.THOUGH I THOUGHT IT WASENT GOING TOO STAY RUNNING ON FIRST FLOAT BOWL GASILINE TOO WOOD GAS PRIME. Drove home on wood after restarting.

5 Likes

That is the kind of luck I have had with that style TC display. I had a multimeter when I went to Argos and that gave good readings so I am thinking of getting one of our electronic technicians to work on it to improve it. It reads two channels-- that’s good. In order to start it up I have to click through which channel, then *C to *F then all is good until it times out. I have to start over again. TomC