Drowning dad and 3 year old boy

My church brother Ervin and I just returned from a 22 hour rescue squad mission. Just want to encourage everyone to not take water safety too lightly. We pulled a 34 year old dad and 3 year old boy off the bottom of the swollen Tallapoosa river this morning after looking and dragging and diving all night. They were in a kayak and it flipped over. Neither wearing a life vest. The dad held the boy up while he was under water for 250 yards, then lost him, got out, undressed and tried to go back for him. They both drowned. The whole thing took about 45 seconds. Two other children survived. The 12 year old got the 4 year old to safety quite bravely.
But I assure you there are not many things as grotesque as pulling a drowned 3 year old out of a river. Please make people wear life vests when it is prudent, especially those who can’t swim …

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this story, this is terrible. Just booked a kayak trip for next week a few hours ago, this was not pleasant to read. But my 2 year old son will be safe on dry land for this time.

1 Like

Hello Billy and thanks for sharing .

In my younger days I was a diver with the St Clair Co rescue squad and have memories of the Coosa river I try not to think about .

:cry:

Thanks for your volunteering

4 Likes

Very sad ending to a holiday weekend for some. Our local river (Caddo) is host to hundreds of canoes and kayaks this time of year. Safety is required for sure.

1 Like

Just got this:

Billy,
My hats off to you and to all those who risk their lives to help those in peril. May God protect you all.

2 Likes

The county trucks all have a big sign on the back, Save a life, DON’T swim in the Kern river.

2 Likes

God bless you, Billy. I hope there are more people like you. People really have to take wearing of safety gears seriously.

2 Likes

More people like me is a scary thought…hahaha…thanks