Engine overheating?

I bought a used 13K generator with a GX Honda engine. It was from Northern Tool.
Both exhaust pipes and manifold are cherry red. Is this normal? Is there anything I can or should do?

1 Like

Hi Bill,
For some reason the timing must be retarded - fuel still burning when exhaust valve opens. I bet it’s also a bit sluggish and noicy (sounds like struggeling for no reason).

2 Likes

Thank you Jan.
I found online it’s possible the key has worn down a bit?

Is this in broad daylight or at night?

2 Likes

I only noticed it at night only because it then stood out.

1 Like

these things inherently run pretty hot, not saying that you dont have a problem, but you also may not. Is it running good with a load on it? IE How does it sound?

2 Likes

13 kw?. Your diesel unit is 10kw? Are you thinking woodgas?

1 Like

It sounds fine other than the rpms seems to oscillate.
@don_mannes, you’re on to me. The diesel bit the dust shortly after I got it fixed. I will hang that up and buy a brand new one. The engine ran well but the gen head quit putting out power.
So, because this one showed up for the price, I bought it. It doesn’t seem to be as powerful amperage wise as the diesel. I wanted a big gas generator so it can be fed wood gas in the future and will be big enough to power what I put in my shop.

6 Likes

Its definitely worth a second look. It might be a very simple fix.

3 Likes

Those large industrial brutes are made to be fixed. Shame to scrap it if the engine runs well. It could easily be a simple part gone bad.

1 Like