Fiat 450 tractor restoration

Thanks for the kind words, Goran and JO :slight_smile:

Oh, the initial scraping is the most painful part, you don’t pay as much attention to it later on, but I’d like to keep it clean.

This is my first tractor restoration, though I’ve previously restored furniture and metal items (like lamps).

My father, whom I want to thank, taught me how to work with my hands.

He’s actually helping me with the tractor restoration; he enjoys spray-painting and the heavy mechanical work (though not for too long), and above all, he loves driving the tractor like a kid, it reminds him of his youth (his father was a farmer).

8 Likes

As for the bodywork, I started with some initial TIG welding tests on sheet metal that was riddled with rust (admittedly, not ideal for a first attempt).

Then, after cleaning, sanding, and degreasing, came the new paint job. You can see the new fenders and the new cylinder head in the photos.

I also added a few knobs and refurbished the dashboard.

Here is the bodywork reinstalled on the tractor.

9 Likes

David, is it for sale? :smiley:

9 Likes

Some electrical work to show you what things look like under the hood.

And the “Christmas tree” wiring setup.

A quick aside: I also made a major blunder while testing the switches, one of the large connectors touched the chassis, melting the two wires connecting the starter and the alternator. It’s all part of the job, doing and redoing, but I caught it quickly, which was lucky, as nothing else was damaged.

For my first time using the MIG welder, I built up material on these battery mounting bolt.

I 3D-printed a new mount because the old one was made of metal and completely rotted out.

8 Likes

Haha Tone, no, I’m going to keep it until the very end xD; when I can’t drive anymore, I’ll put it in the middle of my garden as an ornament. It might not look quite as nice then, though.

9 Likes

The tractor’s cab section.

I continued with MIG welding; it’s a bit trickier, but not too hard (I forgot to turn on the gas at first, but the weld still came out clean).

Next, I repaired the fiberglass roof using polyurethane adhesive sealant.

Then, you know the drill: cleaning, sanding, and degreasing, plus a little extra step where I applied some rust converter.

Painting…

…and today, mounting the cab onto the tractor. I had to use a bit of force on the mudguard since it was slightly different, but the fit is clean.

That’s where I stand at the moment; the rest will follow, but more slowly.

11 Likes

David,
A show tractor—too nice to use, as suggested by others.

11 Likes

Thanks for the compliment, but for me, it’s like buying a new machine: you’re just a bit more careful at first, but it’s still built to work.

11 Likes

david, yes you are right, it should remain a working machine, only rust is stopped now and has less chance…you told your traktor has 10 000 working hours, have you noticed motor oil consume with this hours? my hanomag has 11 000 hours, i am responsible only for 1000, the others from previous owners…on 900 km he consumed about 20 liters of motor oil…

i should give him for two weeks in the hands of you and your pa, and he would look like new!!

11 Likes

Hello Giorgio,

I haven’t noticed anything like that yet; after the oil changes and getting it running again, it was running better.

We asked a mechanic who works on machinery and tractors for his opinion, and he said the noise was normal; it smokes a bit at startup, but improves after that.

We only used it briefly yesterday, just long enough to adjust the brakes and test the power steering, which still needs a few tweaks.

However, it’s hard to tell from just these quick tests whether it’s burning oil.

Thanks, we appreciate the trust you’ve placed in us, but we didn’t do much to the actual mechanism, just a full oil change.

And you’re overestimating us; we’ve been working on it for over three months.

9 Likes

Today, the Fiat tractor tackled its first small job.
It isn’t even finished yet, and it’s already working.

My neighbor lent me his wood chipper to process some fallen tree branches; we produced 6 cubic meters of chips mixed with leaves.

We’ve already spread them on an embankment at my father’s place.

14 Likes