Fire pit and thoughts on life

Kristijan, you have been kinda quite lately, what are you working on, or may be just to busy driving the stealth car.
Bob

4 Likes

Tom I hope no one tries this trick to start stoves now. My family burned down the farm house on this foundation where my house is now in 1899 moving coals between the livingroom stove and the cook stove in the morning. Someone tripped with a bucket of coals. I guess everyone got up early that morning. The house has sheds connecting it to the barns and they tore down the shed by hand to stop the fire from reaching the barn. It blows my mind to think about taking down a shed with just a team of horses while the house burns.

3 Likes

Hi Bob! Nice to see someone so far away thinks of you :blush:

Unfortunaly life turned a sharp turn on us, wifes father got sick real bad so this left me and my wife to take care of him plus take over all his work. He is getting better but will be unable to do any help untill at least a years time. A 4 shift job, 2 small kids, sick elderly father in law, a big farm and folowing my vision to feed my family only homegrown food produced naturaly without any chemistry, demands too much time at the height of season to eaven chat to you guys. I have lots of catching up to do.
As for the Mercedes, unfortunaly and shamefully l must say l drive on dino for the last month or so. Two reasons. The long extremely snowy winter didnt alow me to prepare enough wood and charcoal to cover the “buissy months” so l only have enough char for a occasional bbq.
Second reason is my gas cooler requires cleaning as it got partialy plugged. For some reason char soot/ash doesent want to rinse as well as woodgas soot so l need to dissasemble the whole thing. It its self is a whole day project, but since the cooler was designed for woodgas l wuld like to make a new one while the cooler will already be off, for the char l burn now, something sturdy, stelth and easy to clean.

Will be geting back to you guys soon, got a new phone so its time to check what kind of pics/vdeos this one makes :wink:

14 Likes

Hello KristijanL
This life pulls-apart has happened to all of us too.
Best polocy is:
“Family first”
“Work second” (have to pay all of the outside demanded-needs)
Then . . . .only with surplus time/energy/money the fun stuff.

Children are only children once. Miss the changes and steps and no do-overs possible with that particular human being. Taking care of the old is something if you do not show this respect earlier, will boomerang back and bite you when it is your turn.
Foods growing and meats/eggs nurturing is not really in the “fun” category. You will need these things. Do what you can. Use the working of it to train children in life-responsibilities. Old and sick can do, sit-down processing and still have a sense of self-worth.
Don’t sweat the not 100%. Don’t sweat the not all not homegrown - with some needing bought out. Doing something, anything already puts you ahead the majority of Urban’s who do nothing. Buy everything. Shopping savvy is still just sheeple consumerism.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

8 Likes

Steve, l absolutely agree on everything exept the statement foods production isnt fun :wink:
l lived in a flat for a few years as a child and l wuld most likely kick it in about a week if l had to again.
A coworker sayd to me a while back im stupid and crazy to marry on a big farm and its better that l leave it all and move to the city like him. He braged how nice his life is, no responcibilitys, he can come home from work and watch television all afternoon. I had no words to anwser him. Part of me wanted to remind him of his health status (he has blood pressure and cholesterol problems, and eaven has a official work disability from a WORN OUT BACK??? From what???) But l chose to hold my thods.

Allthugh the schedule is packed nowdays, to tell the truth, life was never better before. There isnt realy anything to complain about :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Kristijan, you have it Right, family is first on the list, and taking care of them. Then all the other things come after that. Over all the things in our life, is our loving God .
The Creator who is over all things big and small. Please let your father in law know that I will be praying for him and the whole family in Jesus Name. For him to get well, and that the whole family to be Blessed. You are now at the top of my prayer list.
It does matter that I’m on the other side of the sea. God sees and hears everything. Could you please give me your father in laws name to put on my prayer list. “Only God is Good”. A Quote from Jesus.
Bob

5 Likes

Bob, you are one special guy. The world needs more of those :slight_smile:
I am sure wifes father wuldnt mind a prair, he is the needed one, but the rest of us are doig great. save your prairs for those in real need. Kids are healthy and happy, flowering summer filled our mood with positivity, the chores are coming at a steadyer pase. l am expanding our litle paradise but more of that later…

Oh, his name is Vladislav.

7 Likes

When I get behind the steering wheel of the truck, this reminds me to keep praying for Vladislav and you all. I hope you are all have a great day.
Bob

4 Likes

Bob, your prairs must of worked wonders! He is about 80% recoverd and can allso perfom minor work on the farm. Thank you so much on your concern, you are a amazing man! I wish same to you and your family.

I just got a big job my self, l will post details once things start to get in motion. For now let me just say it has to dowith firewood, possibly eaven gasification :smile: cant wait to start, althugh this means my woodgas ride will be forced to wait yet more…

5 Likes

Kriss’s post bumped my email and brought me back for a quick vissit.
I have not been out to the list here since spring ( other obligations at the top of the list )
I did manage to enjoy some time by the fire and and tinker in the shop with a charcoal gasifier for low quality char ( that produces low quality gas, what a surprise ! )

If I keep my char dust and use this to cover my burning wood I can make decent char for a gasifier in this pit and still enjoy a nice evening with a low smoke fire.
When the evening is done I load the fire basket ( a wash machine drum ) completely with fuel and cover with a 45 gallon drum to seal out the oxygen.
What is not chared does make some nice torrified wood I can cut into blocks

Plenty more uses for the fire pit than I thought of before.
This simple drum in an inverted drum also lets me wash char for ash removal and then after sorting and screening I can add a third basket on the main basket and cover under the drum to reduce the moister content again.

Washing char seems to make a better quality fuel to.
I can coke dirty high ash waste and make a useful fuel from it as well as reduce the ash content.
This works out well.
The ash products have turned my firepit area very green compared the the rest of my unfertilized lawn.

This summer’s heat wave also made me think about the attic in my shop.
What a great place to store a little wet wood or damp char to drive off water.

Have a safe and happy summer.
Wally

2 Likes