Hi Dave, I didn’t change the mixture valve while it was trying to get up to speed because I had done that several times before, and it got worse whether I went up or down. But in some cases, I did notice it improve from the starting position. The valve is way too big, so I’ll be installing a smaller valve before I try it next.
It does seem to run OK on propane, but it doesn’t seem to handle quite as many watts (2800 running watts) as it is supposed to. I should do a more precise load check on propane, to confirm engine is good.
Today, I made a flange so my spare blower can screw on and blow directly into the air intake. This will make it much easier to check for leaks in most of the gasifier. Unfortunately, much of the reactor and heat exchanger is covered with a layer of insulation and steel, so the inner steel skin of those parts cannot be accessed for leak testing.
Starter fluid is on the list of options to try.
The filters consist of a whole lot of hay plus 4 layers of open cell foam. After reading your post, I wondered if that might be too much filtration for this small application. I did install ports for pressure testing in the hopper and after the filter and I found significant difference of about 3.5 inches of water column between the two places. I assumed this was because of the obstruction of the filter and to a lesser extent, some of the charcoal around the nozzles. I could try decreasing the filter material.
I understand that starting it on propane and gradually shifting to woodgas is another thing to try.
There is so much good information here, it is going to take me some time to try it all. I know it will happen eventually, but I am kind of slow and sometimes I tend to make things more complicated than they need to be.