First woodgas vehicle

I am new to wood gas and am wondering what would be the best vehicle to use or if it is a huge deal.

I currently own a 98’ dodge 1500 4x4 with a 5.9L engine. I think it would make a great candidate, it is beat up a bit and seems to fit the mold. I would like to be successful though and will have a lot of people laughing if it doesn’t work well.

If a dakota would be quite a bit better I am considering searching the adds for a good one.

2 Likes

Good morning Levi .

Your truck should be a good one to gasifiy . The only criticism of the truck ( if it is the same as the 94 ,96 ) is it is hard to get to the distributor to attach a cable so the ignition timing can be advanced .

The truck should do good at driving 50-60 mph and being 4x4 should make a good work truck .

If little work is involved and a lot of open road driving the dakotas are hard to beat. They seem to work well at speeds 60 -70 mph.

I will be using my Ram today hauling cattle .

4 Likes

Thanks Wayne. I will plan on using my truck for now, 50-60 mph is good for me and the 4x4 is going to be good with the low range.

I have seen some of your cattle and hay moving videos, it is impressive how much weight you can haul with the V10. I don’t plan hauling more than a small work or camper trailer which a 5.9 V8 seams big enough.

I have automatic hubs on my truck, would it be good to somehow disconnect them so that i can have low range while on pavement? I do wish to keep the 4x4 capability so maybe I need to look into manual hubs if low range is needed on the highway.

1 Like

Hello Levi .

I think I would leave the hubs as they are.

With many many miles on a couple of 4x4 Rams I have never used low range on the pavement even pulling heavy trailers. It is so easy just to add in a little gasoline and stay in high range .

4 Likes

Okay good to know, I am getting more and more excited the more I find out about doing this.

Hello Levi .

This is
dodge Ram with 318 .

2 Likes