Following Jackson and David Crockett on wood

Yesterday the wife and I spent some time out riding in the wood burner . I followed Andrew Jackson’s ( Old Hickory ) route through this part of the state 1813 -1814.

Down steam of my farm on Canoe creek about 3 miles was an Creek Indian village by the name of Littafutchee. They were a part of the upper hostile Creeks known as Red Sticks. . One of the first battles was here, lead by Colonel Henry Dyer and 200 horsemen, Late October 1813. . .

Jackson built a fort in the eastern part of the county where he spent the winter with many battles around there.

We followed about six months of his path using the same amount of gasoline as his army :grinning:

IMG_0203IMG_0205

IMG_0210IMG_0212IMG_0213IMG_0214IMG_0215IMG_0216IMG_0219IMG_0220IMG_0221IMG_0223IMG_0224https://youtu.be/JtxxqyaGAlI

The old truck ran great ! It only ask that I feed it a little wood every 60-75 miles .

13 Likes

Nice weather here so got to get out to the truck. Can’t wait for tonight when I can watch your videos. I have always been a damyanke (one word) but I sympathies with the south. From what I could see on the information boards, this was more about the wars with the Indians rather than the Civil war. TomC

watch out for those Red Sticks Wayne

great quote wayne …

2 Likes

Same thing as my wife and I do MrWayne - each and every historical marker, “trail”, local history museum gets stopped for, read and appreciated. In each time; in each age; folks are doing the best that they can. Born-here. Immigrated-here.
The American history in the far-west is not as long/deep as out east of the 'ol Miss; but still here for 200 years now.
The only way not to keep repeating and step-up even a tiny bit is to learn from the pasts.

No ha-ha’s about this but just last Sunday at a invited diner party I ended up advocating both R.Lee and AndyJack as some of the best of Americans. I expect never to be invited back. Good. I dislike much sanctimonious yuppies.
Too many folks just do not know the history of their own nation. Sheeeple!! Bleeting what they are fed.
Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

5 Likes

Hey Billy

This is a quote from Davey Crockett winter of 1813 . at a spot between me and Billy.

" We crossed the Coosa river, and went on in the direction to Fort Taladega. When we arrived near the place, we met eleven hundred painted warriors, the very choice of the Creek nation. They were all painted as red as scarlet, and were just as naked as they were born."

That would be a sight that would remain in one’s memory a long time .

5 Likes

No wonder he figured he could take on Santa Anna down in Texas. The “Upper” Creeks were a tough bunch of dudes.