Food and Chemistry

OK folks. I got another weird chemistry question that I hope to figure out. Below is a picture of some aluminum foil. It was covering a pan of cornbread, which came in to contact with the foil. The interesting thing is that the other half of the same batch of cornbread did not burn through the foil which was also in contact with the bread.

Here’s the kicker, the first pan was cooked (and stored) in a cast-iron skillet and burned holes in the foil, which was in contact with both the cornbread and the pan. The second pan was cooked (and stored) in a pyrex bakedish but did not burn the foil even though it was also in contact with both the cornbread and the dish.

I’m guessing that the cornbread acted as a catalyst for some charged reaction between the cast-iron and the foil. Another thought is that the cast-iron leached into the cornbread and was then attracted to the aluminum, to the detriment of the foil.

mabe you cooked the one in the castiron too long? Or it could be alians:)

They weren’t cooked with the foil on. The foil was added after they’d cooled. Also, I think the cornbread would have been a carbon lump by the time the foil could have burned from just heat. :stuck_out_tongue: