Freezing condensate

Mike, try to stay on topic please. Woody, feel free to start a new thread for the Dakota, we’d love to hear more about it.

Mike,

As I move into the fabrication process (I dreamed all summer, the cold seems to have motivated me to build) I was contemplating this very issue of condensate freezing up. Initially I thought about placing valves so that I could bypass portions of the cooling rack during extreme cold but that still produces low points where moisture will collect. And in this case it freezes and breaks your valves, really bad.

Have you ever tried mobile home style heat tape on the cooling rack and/or condensate tanks during winter? Typically a length uses under 100W of power, might be enough heat to prevent freezing of the moisture before it reaches the condensate tank? You could also wrap some around the condensate tank to keep it from freezing up?

I was thinking about this for my truck, I typically run a block heater anyway so the trucks already plugged in at night. Just wiring in a couple more loads to the circuit. I used a work light cord reel, mounted up in the back quarter of the box, (similar to Waynes hopper condensate tank, but in the back on the drivers side). Just cut the male plug off and wire your onboard loads there. Then, cut off the work light and wire in a twist lock plug (so it stays plugged in) on the cord end. In the morning just unplug and give her a tug,… rolls the extension cord right up for ya and takes it with you. I also made a standard 15A spade plug adapter so I could plug it in when not at my house, it works great. Just be sure to get a cord reel with heavy enough wire for the wattage you’re running.

Hi Chris, I know I diverge but felt it relevant to his slide in concept. I just got my phone line working again a few minutes ago so hopefully I can stay on line long enough to jump between the various threads here. The one on cold weather condensate moved beyond the what’s new list so I have to figure out how to find it :o) … It’s maybe going to get above freezing today … Mike

“I can’t just leave the tank open or air will backfeed to the gasifier and keep it burning.”

Maybe that’s what happens to you but it doesn’t need to be that way.

I can leave all my tanks open and the gasifier will go out. I’ll show anyone here how to do it. There is no reason you can’t drain all the condensate from your system. If you are having problems with condensate freezing send me a private message and I’'l be glad to help.

I didn’t want to leave this undone