Gardening in Kentucky

Looking good. Better get after that grass coming up. That stuff will make sod real fast. I used some horse manure I guess it was cow manure too and that grass has running roots that spread like wild fire. I just got it under control 3 years latter by building raised beds. I have real pretty grass in between. I use it to patch the lawn elsewhere and it fills in between the beds again. very hardy grass. It does seem to make real good top soil. The soil at the surface in the sod is as black as can be. I wish I had my potatoes in but I have a couple more trees I need help pushing over before I can build a new fence. No sense planting anything here with out. The chickens would have it turned over before I was done planting.

2 Likes

Yeah grass is always a pain. Most of this ground is first-year garden soil, so the grass will be very persistent this year.

1 Like

I am amazed by the potatoes this year. We’ve never had good luck with them. But this year - look out!

May 3rd:

May 5th:

May 9th:

May 14th:

11 Likes

Ha! Ha! Intersing Spring perspectives on this site.
Pictures of snowing upper US, Canada and central Sweden.
Southern US wonders being already eaten.
Here. We dare not let anything peek above ground with frost any sensitivity until after the 30th of May.

We all live in a wild, wonderful, and wacky World actually out living it large and real.
S.U.

7 Likes

Wow, i could only wish for that right now. Like Steve commented, we have to be careful up here.
Did you use charcoal in the ground? No, i will not call it biochar.

2 Likes

Last year I carpeted my garden. Kept the unwanted down and the boots cleaner. Be sure and use the jute backed so water goes through. Can find it by the curb.
Got peas to go with then new potatoes? Ymmm

2 Likes

No charcoal, just some compost. This is first year garden soil, really wasn’t expecting this.

No peas Tom, maybe next year.

3 Likes

OK Chris; …first I my greetings for your potatoes, this year we didn´t plant any, yours are spectacular!; I´ll show what we got in the OLD greenhouse (7 years old), this is its last season of this one. The next one is 4 times this size, this one is 14x6 meters. This was planted WITH Activated Biochar (in worm liquid with compost soup and “rock flour” for 12 to 24 hurs)
Note: the Bananas are in the chiken´s CUP, and activated biochar just spread over the soil.

In the greenhouse there is: Lettuce, Cabagge, Beans, Chilies, Tomatoes, and others I don´t remember (that´s the wife´s departament), I prepare biochar and worm compost.

HOPE YOU LIKE IT

5 Likes

That is impressive you could live on what is grown there

I have a tiny HF 6’ x 8’ greenhouse that gets stuff started for planting and a few radishes, onions and lettuce
But I was eating strawberries about 1 month ago. (20 miles South of Seattle),

1 Like

Question Abner
Are these bananas of the variety that I keep reading about that are subject to the disease that is wiping out the commercial banana crop?
And is that bamboo that I see supporting your covering on your greenhouse?
Tomw

1 Like

My strawberry blossoms froze twice this week along with my asparagus. Peas , carrots lettuce ,spinach, onions ,garlic and other salad greens appear to be ok. Nothing else in the ground yet.

1 Like

I’m about 40 miles north west of Seattle (“as the crow flies”), but we just have bushy potato plants, a few green onions, and traces of salad greens poking up. That said, we’re fairly forested and no green house.

Hi Tom, we have not been afected by the SIKATOKA virus. Our bananas are climated to live at high altitudes in what we call “Mist Jungle”, we are at 1630 meters above seal level. This variety of bananas is called RESPLANDOR (SUNSHINE), we planted them about 20 years ago, sense they are perennial, the seed they produce (Risoma) at the roots has mantained our plants (we have about 100 plants now). What you see like bamboo is a variety of Hemp that groes near the rivers that flow to the Lake of Maracaibo, this was an error because my daughter didn´t take the knotches of and these finally made holes in the plastic, even do, it lasted 7 years. Our new greenhouse is going to be built with electrical PVC tubing, starting soon. Thanks for the comments.

4 Likes

Chris if you can find manure from a cattle farm it will work better for you. The digestive system in cows does better at killing seeds so you get less weeds in the compost plus you get bacteria from the cows that break down plant fiber. Put some in your compost buckets and it will make them work much faster.

Toby Hemenway
Gaia’s Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, 2nd Edition
That book is one I would consider a must read for people with small lots trying to raise their own food. I bought the first edition years ago and have used alot of the principles to help out several friends.

2 Likes