Gasifier based on cattle dung

Hi Everyone,
Being newby in world of wood gas I think to start with Gary’s simple fire gasifier for my 100 cc bike

2 Likes

I hope koen and Gary will guide me for same.just two questions nozzle size for 100 cc engine and filtration system as I read the koen posting but not understand the filter system used in pvc
Koen would you please clear my doubts for the same
Thanks

1 Like

Marry Christmas to all DOW ers

2 Likes

Thank you Vinod.

I would like to wish you and your family a marry and great Christmas :blush:

3 Likes

Hi Vinod,
Just saw this one…
Nozzle size about 12 to 14 mm (1/2")
Charcoal , well cooked, smokeless, size mixed between 3 and 15mm ( 1/8"to 1/2") dust free
Filter: small cell foam air filter or easy breathing motorcycle filter ( dirtbike type )
As little possible restriction

Change the carburator size to 26 mm, instead of the original 12/14 mm

Best wishes and succes

2 Likes

Hi Koen ,
Actually I was really waiting for your boost bro
Thanks I will do the same.
Once again thank s
Vinod

2 Likes

For a binder, I have used starch (also found in non-food plants), algae (pond scum) and rotted plant matter.

You could try just agglomerating your dung in a rotating drum. Small balls will be produced. I suspect that the pellet density will be too low for proper gasification, however other dust material could be added. Ground rice husks or maybe sawdust or what ever is at hand.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks Mr.Jeff,

2 Likes

People used here dry dung for food preparation and heating purpose ,
I think this dry dung I used with charcoal in 10 :90 ratio along with charcoal and find the right proportion by trial and errors.

2 Likes

This is an important project. I am praying for your success. I would first turn dung into charcoal, then make charcoal briquettes with raw dung and water as a binder. There are several ways to pyrolyze dung into charcoal. I would stack the dung in a TLUD drum/barrel with a consistent pattern. The object is to give consistent airflow to allow the pyrolytic front to progress evenly downward. Use a variable speed fan/blower (hair dryer with a dimmer switch) to supply air to the bottom of the TLUD to get a good clean burn. Use some type of grate to allow the air to spread across the bottom of the dung load and rise evenly up through the whole load.

1 Like

Hi Mr.Bruce
I read in research paper somewhere,the pyrolysis of dry cattle dung Which have very poor bonding and more ash content but thanks for your suggestion. A inspiration worth try.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Seems like, I remember reading about a gasifier that was fueled with pig dung. I think it was a Russian design during WWII.

Yes, charcoal is not a binder.

Just a though; if the dry dung was ground into a powder it could be agglomerated in a rotating drum. Start the drum rotating, add powdered dung and then a fine spray of water. If the re-wetted dung has no binding quality, a binder would need to be added to the water. The finer of the grind, the higher the density of the agglomeration. If starch is used as a binder, it needs to be boiled. Starch can be found in the root of some plants. We have a plant called Cat Tails. Starch is found in the roots. It is a water plant and cleans the soil or water or maybe both. I forget. There could be a serious health issue if the powdered dung was inhaled.

I doubt that this type of agglomeration/pellet would hold up in a gasifier.

Gasifiers and high ash fuels; two types, slagging and non-slagging. Slagging, keep temperature above melting point of the slag and deal with liquid slag. Non-slagging, keep temperature below slagging point and deal with more ash and more tar.

Possibly look into a fluidized gasifier.

Oh, manure can be digested in a digester to produce methane. Should work good in a warm climate.

What are you trying to accomplish with your gasifier ? ?

I hope this helps,
Jeff

1 Like

Jeff, since you mentioned methane, that reminded me of a book I have, “Bio-Gas Plant” by Ram Bux Singh of India. I concluded from the book that methane production must be popular in India. You are right about the climate being important. That has made me wonder about methane production in plastic covered hog lagoons in eastern North Carolina. I wonder how the temperature issue affects them? I would think methane would be perfect for stationary applications.

4 Likes

Hey Steve

Sometime not so good for mobile applications :smiley:

7 Likes

I have friends in Kenya who sell 50,000 pounds per month of agglomerated charcoal briquettes (pellets) using pasteurized feces as binder.

3 Likes

A video from the Real Martian. I started looking at these because of his aquaponic set up. a couple of years ago a big snowstorm collapsed the huge hoop house he had all his stuff set up in so I quite watching. This is his methane digester. You need a lot of crap to make this work. Pig farm. Dairy farm. Thinking you are going to make much gas in a bag with kitchen scraps in a fool errand.

Bruce, are they agglomerated balls or pressed pellets? No matter how you slice it, that’s a lot of material.

Pooh has already been digested, so it is not the best feed stock for a digester.

1 Like

Maybe a peterson press with a 2 - 4 ton hydraulic jack. If your cow dung is very dry and powdery then a starch binder works very good.
I am making charcoal briquettes using Cedar charcoal. ( I have lots of dead Cedar tops on my property) Take 2-3 cups flour add about 2-3 quarts/liters water in a kettle, bring to a low boil cook until it thickens, let it cool enough to stick your finger in! add to a 10 gallon pot of char. Mix well, add more water if necessary, make a ball with your hand the ball should stay together without being drippy, or crumbley.
Fill your mold and press. Let dry for several days in the sun.
Since you are in India, casava flour might be more readily available.
I learned this from watching YouTube videos. This my own recipe. You may need more or less starch.
Hope this helps

2 Likes

Where are you located? You need a ambient temperature of 90 degrees F for days, and days, and nights, to make methane in a bio digester.
I set up a 3 barrel system in 2013.
Had some fresh cow crap, lots of sweet corn waste several heads of cabbage. You name it if it was veggie waste it went in the tank.
Had it set up for 3 months out in the sun all day! Never got any gas to light. Then found out that my region (Eastern Thumb of Mi.) was not hot enough. We only had a few days in Sept. that reached 90f
Ended up giving the liquid bio mas away to local gardeners. Who loved it for their veggies and flowers.

2 Likes

Peterson press works good with hydraulic or scissor jack. No need for starch. Dung is the binder of choice on mud houses for millions.

1 Like