Gasifier finished and it works can't see the flare but it's there

Tom, my ring of fire gasifier did folow the lmbert dimension chart, the air jets still had a velocity of about 25m/s. I just decided to try and cross the air curtain incinerator with a gasifier. It worked fine, no question there, but l think its not worth the effort. Standard 7 nozzle gasifier worked just as well.

Drue has made a modified FEMA. Only upgrade is the reaction zone is somewhat more fixed thain at stratified FEMA design.
Drue, in a lmbert, the idea behind nozzles is they blast sir in at high speed, createing a turbolent enviroment for the tars to mix with air and burn.
You might get by by not useing air jets with your long reaction zone, but unfortunaly you will not get by with no restriction on such a small engine. In a way, you now have a 6" restriction. I had a 4" restriction on my 136hp engine, just for comparison of how narroe you need to go.
Ading a restriction will make a gasifier a whole lot better.

3 Likes

Hi, Tom!

Erik Eckermann has written the Life story of George Imbert for the Deutsches Museum of Munich.
~1986 if I remember right.

In this book most of the over 15 different models and versions with the according patent registrations are listed year by year.

“Alte Technik mit Zukunft”

ISSN 0012-1339
ISBN:9783486261769

3 Likes

Uuummmm!! Some times you get into a discussion and a little voice in your head says, “just shut up and listen because others know much better than you (me)”". The little voice has spoken but I don’t know enough to listen
Yep Kristijan, your nozzles did follow the Imbert dimensions and your ring of fire was just auxiliary air to burn tar that may have escaped between the nozzles. ( that is my interpretation of what happened) Drue, with no nozzles is working more like a WK design. He really doesn’t design for a particularly high velocity air coming out of the nozzles. There fore he isn’t looking to penetrate the charcoal column to or near to the center. It just comes out of the nozzle and bends down and in the long distance to the restriction it works its way through the entire column which as it goes down is diminishing in diameter as it approaches the restriction. Drue’s ring of fire does like Mr. Wayne’s, it penetrates the column but mostly, bends, blends in and oxidizes on its way down.
Yes Drue has made a modified FEMA. And yes adding the ring of fire has “fixed” the oxidation zone. I believe the moving oxidation zone was the reason for tar not burning in the FEMA.
I am all for a “restriction” but first lets see if this will work HIS way with out it. I’ve said it three times already, but one more time, Drue is confusing himself/and us, by NOT knowing how hard he is pulling on the gasifier with the shop vac. My impression he is pulling very hard ( or as we say “overpulling”) Overpull will burn tars. He has a valve to cut down the amount of vacuum. I am not sure he IS cutting the vacuum pulling on the grate/reduction zone/ring of fire. Maybe my thinking is incorrect but; If you have 2 pieces of 4in dia pipe connected by a piece of 1in dia pipe and you pull 50 in. H2O on the end of one 4 in. pipe, you will NOT get 50 in. H2O at the other end of the other 4 in dia pipe ( if the other end is open. if closed another story). I believe that is what he is doing with the ball valve he thinks is restricting his vacuum. He could have 50 in. H20 at the shop vac. Then it goes into a 1 in dia pipe and then back out to about a 2 in. dia pipe. ( 2in.- 1in.- 2in.) At the end of the second 2 in. pipe he will NOT get 50 in of vacuum but may 30 or 40in. H20. That would still be over pulling his gasifier, thus getting a blue tar free flame. For a good running gasifier I believe we need to run at 10 to 15 in. H2O vacuum. To get that in the 2in. pipe at the gasifier, the ball valve would have to drop the vacuum in the 1 in. pipe to about 20 to 25 in. H20.
All of these figures are just stuff off the top of my head but the point I am trying to make is, when he turned the ball valve towards OFF I did not see the flame diminish, did you?
I did see him run the snow blower, which in my thinking is WAY underpulling his gasifier and yet he didn’t gum the valves up. So as of yet, I don’t think we can say his design is a failure or needs modification. I don’t know how he is getting away with out a restriction but heck, one guy on here stopped putting a GRATE in his design-- I have a problem understand how he is getting away with that. TomC

5 Likes

Thanks Max; I tried to find it on the internet. 2 use copies in the US for $244.68. In the UK 1 used copy for 288 something ( I think pounds) A little steep for my blood. I believe they are only in German.
Alte Technik mit Zukunfit: Die Entwicklung des Imbert Generator

Hang on to your copy-- it must be a collectors item. TomC

1 Like

Showing multiple copies on Amazon.de, starting at 89 eu.

Thanks for all the suggestions? I put a restrictor plate in the bottom of my burn tube on that ledge. Cut it down from 6" to 2" was able to start it with an air mattress pump. Little snow blower pulls on it good now. I’m gonna run it for a few hours then look at the valves and carb

5 Likes

I did some research. That’s an 8 horse Tecumseh 2" restrictor plate. Based on that info how big could I go having 6" available

Gary I didn’t find anything and all on that sight is foreign language. I only speak two languages-- English and Profanity. TomC

6 Likes

Tom as soon as I have some clear tubing I will make a vacuum gauge

1 Like

Drue,
I think a restriction sized for the engine is a fundamental gasifier thing. Sometime after running for a good long time, let the gasifier cool down and unload the fuel and char a level at a time to see what your char bed looks like. Kind of a post-mortem thing. Several inches of char is what you want with no unburned fuel pellets in that area.

4 Likes

And a person would be able to get a rough idea of dimensioning from the iImbert tables. There is also some good info on calculations to arrive at all the info based on engine flow. An internet search should provide that mathematical basis. @gasman had just provided that info a while ago.

I’m no authority, but it’s good to start from a rational basis, and then make minor adjustments. It appears you have lucked out exceptionally well on a first attempt. I agree with earlier analysis that you have basically built an improved FEMA, and that it seems likely that tar is being burnt from overpulling, or condensed in your very cold and long cooler.

Any which way, it’s working decently, excellent start, now as they say, the 75% - learning, refining.

1 Like

Hello Drue .

I would expect a gasifier with a 6 inch choke plate to make enough gas for a small vehicle.

2 Likes

Thank you wayne. At least I have made something for multiple size engines

1 Like

Drue, Just thinking about your flare being hard to extinguish. Your shop vac may not be over- pulling the gasifier, but it might be sucking in some outside air at the lid of the shop vac, mixing with your seemingly very clean gas, making a nice burnable blend.

3 Likes

I have eliminated the shop vac. To much pull. Now using an air mattress inflator

3 Likes

Snowblower has been going for almost 2 hrs now. How long should I let it go before looking for tar

1 Like

Well, if it has been running for 2 hours, the gas must be pretty good. Tar, if bad, will stick your valves open when the engine cools off. I know Matt Ryder will run some gasoline at shut down to clean the engine. If you want to check for tar, Iwould think 2 hours is enough. Someone with more experience might disagree.

1 Like

I will just let it run till it runs out of fuel

2 Likes

After shutting down the gasifier, just let the snow blower sit until tomorrow morning or so. Then turn it over by hand, turning the fly wheel. If it is tared up you will reach a point where the fly wheel will lock up. Doing this by hand will prevent the momentum on the flywheel which can bend a push rod. If it turns over a few times go ahead with the starter or rope pull. I think you are going to be ok. TomC

4 Likes

With Google translate language shouldn’t be much of an excuse any more…

For roughly $150 cheaper I would look into it.