Gasifier finished and it works can't see the flare but it's there

Hi Drue,
The restriction is important, yes, but so is the distance from nozzles to grate. Too tall and the char will have time to get small and tight, which will also act restrictive. Too shallow and you end up the other way around, risking tary smoke to sneak through.
Running a vehicle you’re constantly off specs. At idle and slow speeds you’re pulling less than the air mattress blower. At open road speeds you’re pulling like a shop vac. To keep the charbed happy you have to adjust your driving to end up in some kind if long term medium load.
Running a constant load will require proper dimentions including fuel size. However, if you’ve been able to run the engine constantly for two hours and everything looks good I’d say you’re ok. Congratulations! :smile:

7 Likes

I would add the obvious, but hey, spark plug wire off plug anytime your hand is on the flywheel.

2 Likes

Everything was good with the snowblower today restart3d on wood gas again no issues. Hooking up to 13hp generator today

12 Likes

Hi, Drue!

All this boils down to is: How big a’ volume of glowing process char is needed for the gas flow in question.

It varies from big motors 9 – 11 liter displacement using 1 pint sized fuel,

and “grashoppers” using 40 – 100 ccm displacement motors and sugar-bit sized fuel.

The volume varies from 11% down to 4%.

A practical example in the “middle” of the scale:
A Volvo “farmer” wagon: 2,3 liter motor, WOT 3000 RPM 130km/h
uses half cigarette box sized fuel.

Gas consumtion:
L = 2,3 liter
n = count of thousands RPM
3 = Together calculated all 4-cycle and mixing & filling parameters / second
(not per minute!)

L x n x 3 = 20,7 l/s

Now, the glow (process) volume needed:

At the Volvo 7% was chosen, and it turned out to be successful.
(with the 1/2 cigarette-box sized fuel)

To make it easy with the cut (trancuated) cone calculations I use one of the “calculator soupe” calculators.
Remember to chose a 60 degree slope!

To achieve ~60 degrees, the triangle cathethers would be about

ratio 4:7 (not exact ! )

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/cut cone

Also, keisan online calculator works well, but I could not get it in Jpeg, or the other formats that are accepted on DOW for “transmission” here…

1 Like

The best way to find out the Tar content is to put a white cotton “swab” in line and look for coloration… black is char dust… brownish is Tar…then give it a sniff in the morning, the smell will tell…

2 Likes

Hey Koen .

If your bath water turns black it’s just char dust . If you get stuck to the bath tub it’s tar :grinning:

12 Likes

yup, the tar from the charcoaling is an excellent anti slide for the bathtub… :grin:

8 Likes

I think the motor run test is the most convensing, and i am part color blind anyway, if Wayne Keith can make tar free enough fuel too run a 5000 $ v10 for 3500 miles , then we all have a GOOD SET OF plans that will work, Way Too Go WAYNE KEITH, HWWT, SWEM.

4 Likes

Seriusly are you charco makers getting any tar saved, or saveing the tar while makeing charco.:+1: I mean there aint no tar too collect while driving with charco?

Kevin, driveing on charcoal is preety much the same as driveing on petrol. No biproduct exept of ash.

3 Likes

Thanks for you eccellent post well made ideas. I wounder if saveing the gas while makeing Charco could be alcohaoul or liquid fuel, worth long range goal,cateletic type process.

Hi Kevin,

Yes i do get tar / liquid saved during charcoal making. ratio 5 kg bamboo turns into 1,6 kg charcoal and i collect 1,5 kg liquids. The rest is in the gas from the retort.

And yes again, that is our long term goal here.
Where i am now, in this factory, i am setting up a new line for boiler /gasifier, and also to generate methanol and DME in the side track.
I can do it in an efficient way coz all the byproducts are used for energy here in the factory.

again yes, i don’t have tar in my gas if i take care of my charcoal production

6 Likes

Thanks Koen on the responce, i heard they were makeing desiel in varios forien contrys, probly from many varietys of biomas, that sounds posible. Good luck with your new wood fuel recovery plant, it wood be interesting too make a way too use all posible energy in the wood.Thanks again sharing your intelligents. Hope i dident spell words wrong, i barely passed comp 1 in auto repair school.May the good lord take a like’en too us all.

3 Likes

Hi Koen have you got any percents of the types of units recovered per kg wood too charco, now or in future.? Is it mostly diesel type fuel or alcohaul type fuel recoverd from a charco makeing process.? Or are you just getting started along the lines of this process, Thanks.

Folks, Are we all aware just how easy it is to look at patents? http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=09828247&homeurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%26Sect2%3DHITOFF%26p%3D1%26u%3D%252Fnetahtml%252FPTO%252Fsearch-bool.html%26r%3D29%26f%3DG%26l%3D50%26co1%3DAND%26d%3DPALL%26s1%3Dgasifier%26OS%3Dgasifier%26RS%3Dgasifier&PageNum=&Rtype=&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page
Rindert

2 Likes

I just have some rough numbers by our own research, comparing them with publiced data gives some discrepancy.
But we only value our own, real life, work, so we are looking forward to build something working.
So, we are just getting started… i will keep posting the progress and relevant outcomes here on DOW

5 Likes

Good luck on the designs Koen,keep up the good economic works.

1 Like

Thank you Rindert for a good try, but I feel like you handed me a hay stack and said go find the needle. That certainly is a government web sight. TomC

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
I thought more like I handed you a needle and said their’s a whole stack of out there, go find em. That was just a teaser. Try this link http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html
Best,
Rindert

1 Like

Man I’d love to know what happened to Drue? How did the generator run go and …?

4 Likes