Gasifier for a motor-bicycle?

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile: So far I’ve been watching your videos on-line and mulling over everything I’ve seen. And thank you, because I will have questions and it’s good to know that I can ask for clarification should I need to.

I read your post about your cobra killing cat by the way. Plainly cats are a tough breed in Thailand! All my old moggie has to do is catch mice for me to stay in my good books.

i run Linux… I don’t get viruses

Last night I was thinking about way to mount a gasifier and the vintage Monet & Goyon motorwheel came to mind.

http://www.yesterdays.nl/monet-goyon-1920-motorwheel-p-2565.html

Perhaps great minds are thinking alike and all that Don. I agree though that there are some advantages in making and using a push trailer. Being able to change the trailer over to another bicycle or tricycle would certainly be one of them :slight_smile:
I’m getting myself organised to transform my spare big soup pot into a ‘Simple Fire’ gasifier and I do have some scrap steel tubing and various 20 inch bicycle wheels that could be put to use.

charco from your wood burner is easy to save, i dont have a grate in my wood burner, so when it gets too much ash in the charco,I shovel the charco and ash into old metal frigerator drawers,then use the newer glass frig shelves to cover the char ash, takes about 24 hours or a little more some times,then i use french fryer screen after i use 6" square plate to get ash in screen, shake it till white ash is out,then put on buckets or metal garbage can, I have 150 gallons just this year alone. I used about 1/4" fryer screen mesh, then folded up a window screen out of a slideing door the size of a big suit case too get the fine charco out of the ash.IT seems faster that way than useing fine mesh fryer screen, HAVE FUN BUILDING

Hi guys and gals … We got skunked about an hour ago and I finally got the bastard … whewwwwww … I won’t be able see it till morning to get rid of it but at least it’s done spraying my house … I wasted 6 pistol bullets in the dark with the flashlight to finally get it down … My wife will freak when she gets home from her symphonic band practice … This critter has pagued us for months … I wish you could add it to your charcoal mix … It will float down the creek off the pitch fork tomorrow … Regards, Mike L

I suppose being a gasifier itself a skunk might make good fuel Mike. As we don’t have skunks here in New Zealand I’ll leave it up to others to try the experiment.

Now that is a really good idea Kevin. When I clean out the stove there is always charcoal amongst the ash so this Winter I’ll make a start on collecting it up and putting it by for later use.

Anne, We used to joke about putting dead cats in our gasifiers … There is actually a cartoon floating around about it … I don’t know where that’s at now but I figure if you can accept your cat eating mice then you can accept me shooting a skunk … There is another cartoon where some rich guy peers into a gasifier and falls into it … Maybe one of the guys here remembers those … Good luck with your project !!! Mike L

When the wind is blowing,one might want too use sweater over face too limit ash intake, the ash could be saved for drive way dirt for traction in the winter time, zero waist not too bad.I wish i had started saveing sooner when i see that motor scooter sailing around.

Hey Mike, There are some among our sordid group that have been know to add deceased varmits to their batch of wood destined for charcoal. Kind of gives a funny color to the flare though!. Hope you didn’t put any bullet holes in the floor or water pipes.
Anne, a charcoal gasifier will be the easiest method to power your bike. Instead of destroying a good stainless steel pot, look for a steel five gallon pail with a gasket lined lid. It is EXTREMELY important to have an air tight lid. For a little information on making a Simple-Fire style gasifier, go to the “forum” tab, then click on “files”. In there you will find some really good articles on making charcoal and simple gasifiers. Also, reconsider making charcoal at home. I does not have to be a smokey problem. If you use a pyramid kiln, it can actually be a back yard camp fire. Invite your neighbors and make them a part of your experiment. Everyone loves a camp fire so invite them over, some food cooked over the fire, they bring some scrap wood and beer and you end up with charcoal and understanding neighbors.
Hummm, do I smell a skunk? Better go check it out…
Gary in PA

Being a country district Mike there are field mice everywhere around where I live. I have no objection to them getting on with their small lives so long as they don’t come inside the house. If it wasn’t for my expert mouser cat I’d have to be laying traps and poison which I don’t really like doing. When I was in my thirties I lived on a rural block an off-shore island for a while and we had a major problem with wild cats and nasty big rats. My children were only wee tots so I had to keep an eye out to ensure their safety. I owned an elderly English made 410 shotgun and that was my weapon of choice for taking care of varmints. I take no pride in killing things, but sometimes its just a practical necessity.

Gary, I will have a look around to see what I can find in the way of a five gallon pail with a lid, but if I have no success it just might have to be the soup pot. As I said I have two of them and nobody needs that much soup!
The jury is still out on how I might make charcoal as I haven’t made any firm decisions yet. No doubt I’ll try a few experiments and see how they go.

Anne,
I was thinking in my sleep about the whole pusher trailer idea. I believe that if you only power one wheel of the trailer, it will behave badly as it will be pushing off center. I have seen one wheel bike trailers that hitch on under the seat. that seems like it would be a better setup.
I guess personally when I build one, I will put the engine on the bike and tow the gasifier in the trailer.

Hi Andrew, I must agree with you about the single wheel trailer idea. At the moment I’m doing some work on my tricycle and I’m starting to seriously think about putting my first attempt at a charcoal gasifier on my tricycle instead of a bicycle, My tricycle has a lot more room for all the plumbing and it’s a more stable vehicle than a bicycle.

After having problems with trying to track down a 5 gallon steel bucket with a lid due to such things having been entirely replaced by plastic here in New Zealand, I decided to go with the stainless steel stock pot idea. An on-line retailer here has been selling large stock pots at a reduced price and I was able to get a 70 litre stainless steel stockpot with lid for just $NZ30.00. So I can put my smaller s/s soup pot back in the cupboard where it will no longer be endangered by being taken into my workshop.

I found this tutorial on drilling stainless pots that I certainly will be putting into practice.

I also checked out the link and it worked fine for me.
Pepe

The 70 litre s/s stockpot arrived this morning and all I can say is that I’m glad I’m not a chef who has to heave one of these things around when it’s hot and full. :cold_sweat:

At $NZ30.00 delivered it was to my mind a better option than trying to track down a hard to find mild steel 5 gallon bucket that would only rust out in the end anyway.

Hello Anne and everyone else on this forum. I’m new here, but have been interested in wood gas for many years. Mike Larosa might not recognize my name, but I’ve read many of his comments through the years on the yahoo woodgas site. Anne and I share an interest in motored bicycles and are both members of a forum dedicated to that purpose. I’ve been following her build there and saw photos she posted of a charcoal gasification unit on a bicycle. She also posted a link to this forum and here I am, a new member here. I also have plans for a heavy duty trike using a differential rear axle and hybrid power from an electric front wheel and a 98cc Villiars cast iron 2 stroke with kick start and dog clutch from a 1950’s British Atco rotary mower. I’d like to run the engine with wood gas along the lines of what Anne has in mind, very much following her lead. Anne is a remarkable builder and valued forum member. She’ll be an asset here as well, I am sure. I’m looking forward to learning from you good people.
Silverbear

3 Likes

Aw gee whizz Silverbear now you’ve gone and made me blush. :blush:

Welcome to the DoW forum I think you’re going to enjoy yourself here as everyone is really helpful towards new chums like us.

1 Like