Gasifier the hive

I had recovered this some time ago at the scrap yard. I think to use this support to hold a filtering metal mesh
I want to use an anti kitchen splash like this one as a safety filter (16 pin per inch)

Do you think that setup will work?

Thierry

6 Likes

Thierry,
Looks like a beautiful solution to me, just make it fairly easy to inspect, and well-sealed from outside air. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Most guys just trust their regular paper air filter. The metal screen safety filters that I have read about recommend 25 micron or 400 mesh. I think about 100 square inches would be adequate, but have a replacement filter ready since cleaning the fine filter screen can take some time and effort.

6 Likes

thanks for the information Bruce

Thierry

1 Like

Hello everyone

https://youtu.be/dj2R-8H5J4k

I built this automixer for my truck.
I think itā€™s different from other automixers.
the transfer of the movement does this by a hinge in place of the longitudinal displacement of an axis
this design facilitates sealing and minimizes mechanical losses caused by friction

What do you think?

Thierry

8 Likes

Sounds interestingā€¦
The video link doesnā€™t work.

1 Like

Try again, I fixed it!

1 Like

Excellent solution!
That should make things a lot easier.

2 Likes

Hi Thierry,

Thanks for sharing the idea and video, but I donā€™t understand what Iā€™m looking at. How about a sketch? I can imagine a hinge fastened to the diaphragm, but donā€™t understand how you are sealing the output rod.

2 Likes

Excuse me time for the answer, I am very busy at this time of the year
Bruse here is what I use to seal

Another advantage of this automixer design is that it can also work horizontally

7 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Very Clever.

4 Likes

Hello everyone

I would like to replace my big 5 "cyclone with two small cyclones in parallel.
Or can I find the information to size cyclones of equivalent efficiency?
Thank , Thierry

4 Likes

I think l used 2 4" cyclones on my mb, worked well. Oh, that was paralell!

3 Likes

Dyson uses a huge array of smaller cyclones in their vacuums. They take their engineering pretty seriously so I donā€™t think the cyclone arrangement is an accident.

The motivation could be more compact packaging but I think it has more to do with smaller cyclones having higher accelerations to help with separation efficiency. Now that I think about itā€¦ Iā€™m sure there is plenty of academic literature on the subject.

7 Likes

Sounds interesting. Hoping to see more info about Dyson projects.

5 Likes

I think the Dyson design is efficient enough to remove smoke from air, but the bottom line is it does so with a major consumption of power. In a gasifier system that will amount to a big pressure drop, which will rob significantly from engine power. With a super charger that could be overcome.

But, in engineering thereā€™s such a thing as ā€œtoo goodā€, and I suspect this is one example. Max has described a sound system utilizing reheating and a final paper filter to minimize pressure drops.

Steve has theorized that turbulence causes CO to revert to carbon black. A Dyson would certainly put that to the testā€¦

7 Likes

Well, they seems to be closed on perfecting it. Removing the smoke from air is a huge step already.

3 Likes

I use a Dyson cyclone canister with my inline filter pipe before the engine just to see what can be stopped from going into the engine and i have some very fine soot/charcoal fines in the bottom .it was a pain to make it air tight as my engine does not have the suction needed to complete the sealing between the container and the cyclones , so in the end i used silicon over every joint

3 Likes

Hi Garry

I am thinking of replacing my 5 "cyclone with 3 3 "cyclones in order to improve gas filtration without increasing the pressure drop of the system.:roll_eyes:
Is it a bad idea? :thinking:
The cyclones would be downstream of an oil bath filter and a safety filter

3 Likes

Iā€™m far from an engineer, but it sounds like you are probably on the right track.

I guess the proof will be to try to verify, and report back to the group.

4 Likes