Gasifier the hive

here are some videos as promised

first: baking, pizza, quiche, bread, cake …

second: dismantling the oven

third: evacuation of water vapor

fourth: tests coal

5 Likes

Snap, snap snap, nice sound!

3 Likes

Thierry,
Any new developments to report on your charcoal-powered truck?

3 Likes

I am very busy with my work, my family life … and I have to put some of my field of interest aside (it’s a matter of couple survival :zipper_mouth_face:)

I will keep you informed of the changes I will make this fall on my truck. thank you for your interest in my project

Thierry

6 Likes

Thierry,
Keeping priorities straight is most important. I look forward to hearing of progress when you get back to it. Thanks.

9 Likes

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32992235826.html?spm=a2g0w.search0303.3.259.38b65ba8BzxzvX&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_0,searchweb201603_0,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=0a887140-0370-46a0-b6e3-38f0c00acb05&algo_expid=0a887140-0370-46a0-b6e3-38f0c00acb05-41

CAN THIS KIND OF FILTER BE USED AS A SAFETY FILTER?
I REMEMBER THAT BRUCE S. RECOMMENDS 50 MICRON MESH. BUT MY OBJECTIVE IS TO DETECT A FAILURE OF MY MAIN FILTRATION SYSTEM (BY CLOGGING THE SAFETY FILTER). I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THAT 300 MICRON MESH WOULD HAVE THE SAME EFFECT?

2 Likes

Somewhere I read that 400 mesh was used for a safety filters on an old ICE vehicle. I think 10 square inches for a 200 cubic inch engine if I remember right. If you check a “mesh to micron” comparison chart you will see that 400 mesh falls between 50 and 25 micron. From that, my hunch is that 50 micron may be acceptable, but 25 micron is safer. 300 Micron is WAY too big for a safety filter.

5 Likes

https://books.google.se/books?id=_zJHmz2EA3IC&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&dq=filter+gengas&source=bl&ots=CvmohVb64y&sig=ACfU3U0N5kXqc09k5vISAvf8r-j3pYjoNA&hl=sv&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZjriBs9_mAhWCpYsKHfl2BAk4ChDoATAAegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=filter%20gengas&f=false

4 Likes

Electrostatic precipitators have been brought up before. In theory a neon light transformer or similar might provide the needed high voltage. I do not know of any use for a mobile system. Such a setup might be more useful for stationary.

3 Likes

thank you Bruce and Jan
I think to use this:

what do you think ?

I’m building this new cyclone (2x 3.5 ")

more photos coming soon
Thierry

12 Likes

Beautiful double cyclone. What size engine? What are you using for a coarse filter between the cyclones and the 50 micron safety screen?

1 Like

Bruce, the cyclones are 3.5 "in diameter (old uv lamp tube recovered from the scrap yard) and the engine of my truck is a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder
the main filter is in oil bath (like Koen on his mini pickup)
I hope to minimize the pressure drop with an oil bath filter vs a hay filter

2 Likes

Thierry, Sounds good. I look forward to the photos as you build.

3 Likes

Hello everyone
Here is my last construction, a security filter

16 Likes

Good morning all

new try this morning
overall correct operation
quick and easy ignition
warm-up time 5-10 minutes
very pleasant 20 minute truck ride then … small problems :angry:
engine idle, chaotic and sometimes stalls
at this instant I notice the noise of a relay which opens and closes intermittently (note the pump is not supplied, a switch and a pwm controls the pump off)
the truck’s ECU interprets the idle too slow and want to inject gasoline?:thinking:
but why then, at this moment, if I restrict the air intake the engine stalls :sob:

help me someone
new setup

Thierry

4 Likes

Not uncommon to not idle. Most everyone has an idle adjustment on the gas pedal to help with idle. Can you keep it running by pushing the pedal a little? Do you have your wood gas valve all the way open?(it should be) then adjust air valve only.

4 Likes

Hi Tierry,
What Al said. You need manual control of the idle. It needs different settings depending on hot or cold gasifier and coarse or tight charbed.

4 Likes

thanks Al and Jo for the quick response

indeed, a slight increase in the accelerator was enough to stabilize the engine idling :disappointed_relieved:

I just need to adjust the idle control cable (definitely). Or should I build a double fit depending on whether I run on coal or gasoline? :thinking:

Thierry

2 Likes

Thierry,

What a beautiful build!

My MG has a dash mounted heater control knob with a cable that I have fitted to my throttle with a piece of small chain on the end of the cable that lets me set the desired idle while allowing the foot pedal to move the throttle without resistance. A vernier cable would give you fine idle control.

5 Likes

thanks Bruce for the idea, I’ll see tomorrow what I can do for this.
I used the gasifier for about half an hour without egr and without water to control the heat. then I emptied the coal to see the nozzle, it seemed intact and no sign of molten ash .
from when should a means of temperature control be provided? :thinking:
note that here it is between -15 and -20 C and I collected in the double cyclone about 30 milliliters of water and dust (1/4 glass) in 1/2 hour of operation
I guess my coal took a little bit of atmospheric humidity and the gasifier metal had a lot of accumulated frost
Thierry

5 Likes