Gilmore style?

Carburator replacement for the Honda GX200, ready for testing tomorow
Modified the ball valves for smooth operation, even might consider to connect the load adjustment from the engine ( governor ) to it

The modified gasifier, lifted it up for about 12", made easy replaceable nozzles, threaded hole in bottom for ash removal.
I gave the top a “see trough” plastic with airtight lid, just for the fun of it.
I consider to install a temp-sensor from the car, to automatic switch of the engines ignition if the temp rises to high.

the vertical exchangeable nozzle

Ok, back online now, ready to post some good news…
KOGI 2 was tested today and performed very well… Tomorow i will upload the video’s on youtube

Today some data and some pictures

pic 1 the todays setup

The system ran, after a first difficult startup since the modifications on the gasifier, for a hour and half.
It consumed 1,2 Kg charcoal in 90 minutes runtime

stripped the carburator set and gastank

added a see trough plastic on top and a coarse particel filter, in the plastic tank on the table is bottom oil, to trap the remaining dust

Tomorrow i will post the the clip what impressed me most,…
The reaction of the gasifier and the engine Rpm when i sprayed water on the outside of the reactor and made sure the steam vapor was sucked in the gasifier,…

I should change the project name: “How to run an engine on green waste charcoal and water”
It is amazing what effect the water gives…

Okay, the video’s are on youtube, enjoy :wink:
There is no more satisfaction then hearing the sound of an engine running on wood gas :stuck_out_tongue:

Part 1 ( explanations of the setup)

Part 2 ( explanations of the start up)

Part 3

Part 4 ( here it actualy start )

The effect of playing with hydrogen :slight_smile:
I have done that about a dozen times, enjoyed every time, i could not stopp untill the charcoal ran out :stuck_out_tongue:

Good videos Koen! Thanks!
Don Mannes

Hi Don,
Thanks , glad you liked it.

This one is next for testing

Imagine, living where they have cheap solar panels, this setup is even cheaper… :slight_smile:
Give old car engines a second life with a gasifier.

Run the engine to load your batteries, cool your house with the airco from the car-airco set, heat up the boiler for the night heating -showering.
Switch of the engine and go sleep with a big smile on your face…

Hi Koen,

I quite enjoyed your videos and I’m admiring your pace! Congrats to your running system!

I have one question: When you spray your reactor, the steam rises and doesn’t get to the intake. Is there water running down to the intake and is it being sucked inside and turning to steam there? Or is the increase in rpm due to the external cooling (thus cooling down the reaction and maybe having cooler - and denser - fuel gas)?

I’m afraid I have to be a spoil sport, though:
You shouldn’t keep your diesel fuel (or any other hazardous liquid) in a beverage bottle! It might seem finicky of me, but be certain, one sip can injure (or even kill!) a little child for sure! Trust me, you don’t want to find out the hard way…

Keep up your good work!

Sam

Hi Koen,

I may missed something here but is there a reason for removing the original carby. If you leave it in place it will control engine speed off the governor.

Hi Sam,
The steam is getting into the air inlet of the reactor but it is not as visible on the video as i would like it
The temperature of the gas stays “steady” around 40°C, measured above the reactor in the shiny siphon.

These test results give me an indication how to proceed to my next steps.

@ the diesel fuel,… come and see for yourself here in Thailand but this is how you get it delivered… empty bottles are used to sell any liquids… almost impossible to buy here a normal gasoline can…
That is how life works here, i stopped commenting on these things here already long time ago …
Oh and trust me, i did find out things the hard way in europe with “safety canisters” and my own child already…

But any how, i am enjoying doing this here and will keep you guy’s posted.

Regards

koen

Hi Gary H,

I stripped the carby off for a few reasons…
1: more convincing when i show this to wise guys who don’t believe in gasification ( some even think the gasifier is a gas-bottle… and the engine running on propane)
2: The elimination of the restriction in the carburator, the restriction of the venturi was from 19 to 15 mm, now i have a straight 25 mm
i think that compensates a little for the power.

I also made some modifications to the ball valves so they can be connected to the governor if i want and that will function to.

I did not modify the ignition since i am planning to run on Hydrogen enriched gas

Regards

Koen

Koen,

sorry, I didn’t want to be too schoolmasterly with that diesel fuel issue - I guess, it kind of comes with my job…

Keep your posts and videos coming! Well appreciated!

Sam

Barefoot !!! No way could I do that. Like my shoes tooooo much. Nice run on the charcoal gasifier. The water spray got enough H2O into the oxidation zone to boost the hydrogen content of the charcoal gas as should be expected. You do not have any exhaust gas return yet to temper the heat of the oxidation zone. This exhaust gas will have some water vapor in it and unless you are in a very dry climate, will supply a lot of hydrogen. In my first charcoal gasifier, I also used water, but soon found out a lot of it was not converted into hydrogen but mearly evaporated and then recondensed in the filter. Came to understand there was enough water in the air and charcoal to make into hydrogen. Any additional water was more than the gasifier could convert into hydrogen and just condensed back out.
Now that you have a system up and operating, let me make two suggestions. Increase the diameter of your charcoal generator (at least 12 inches) and get the exhaust gas hooked up to the air inlet. Of those two, the exhaust gas hook up is a higher priority.
Good work though, keep it up and looking forward to more of your exploits.
Gary in PA

Hi Sam,
Don’t worry, imagine, i have a degree as safety advisor, how i felt quit a few times here…

Hi Gary,

Enjoying i see :wink:

I am doing what i can to impress you… :slight_smile:

The piping was that what i have available (5") and it works so far good. if the level charcoal goes beneath 24" (from nozzle) then temperature increases.
I switch of at 60°C

The water spraying had 2 purposes;
1 defining the “hot zone”
2 the Hydrogen effect

Since this pipe 5" is all i have momentarily, i am going to drive this to the limits. just to observe and learn.
Give me a few sec’s and i will make an explaining drawing.

The exhaust return is something where i did not find the proper tubing yet (besides rigid) but i am working on that.

I use ( for obvious reasons) the following words;
Green waste Charcoal + Gasifier + Water + Exhaust gasses = powerful renewable green energy

Could you confirm a similar effect on the injection of the exhaust gasses ? then i would make it with rigid piping at once, for the next video’s.

As you could see on the video, the outside temperature was about 28°C and the humidity was nearly 80%, and still a good effect with the water.

I will keep testing and keep posting the results

regards

Koen