GMRS Radio Communication

Ok well if you are looking for Off Grid radio communication; GMRS maybe a good fit, if you are not interested in taking the test for a HAM Opp license. GMRS is now as close as you can get to Ham. Pretty much all things HAM apply to GMRS and just about anything you can do with Ham you can also do with GMRS. You just have a few limitations and smaller range you can play with is all. But will be plenty for the average Joe. GMRS will also be more popular with Off Gridders / Self Sustaining folks.

Ok but here is the catch! You also must have a license to operate any GMRS radios, as these radios are higher power than the hand sets you will find at Wallmart and the alike. However this does not require a test its more like getting a fishing license, you fill out a form giving the FCC your info and then hand over 35 bucks and they then give your license and a call sign.

So yeah Ive gone radio crazy!! lol Back in the day when I was in the service this was my MOS. I was a combat radio opp (31K) All that stuff has been long long forgotten but Im now back into it. So I got radios coming from all over the place. I have cheap ones, mid level ones coming and then the “Holy Grail” prepper radio ordered that is on back order. That one hurt the wallet a little and wont be here for a month. Ill be getting some other equipment as well. remote antenna’s, boosters and things like that. Im youtube schooling to relearn now and Ill post my finding as I go.

Anyways I have my license, my call sing is:

WRTZ262

8 Likes

What is the holy grail prepper radio? I thought about getting a used short wave set up but I live in the woods and don’t have anywhere to set up a tower. I have some baofeng hand helds but have never used them. I am interested in this subject.

2 Likes

Im sure there are better ones than this even. But for the money these are hard to beat and they can scan pretty much the full spectrum.

There are two versions of this radio. One you can order and get shipped now and a newer version the one I ordered. Ill post a link to both. These have higher end electronics and technology than any radio lower than this price point.

Your Boafeng UV-5R’s can be easily jail broke and you can use them on GMRS channels. (Disclaimer that is not legal!) With radio off. Press the PTT, SK button below it and the VFO/MR button all at the same time while turning on the hand set. This will unlock transmission for the GMRS frequencies. So you already have a GMRS radio. Just get a better antenna to help you receive and them you may want to get a high power booster to boost your output signal. You can output up to 50 watts on GMRS legally.

https://bettersaferadio.com/wouxun-kg-uv9g-pro-gmrs-two-way-radio-shtf-scanner/?pro=NotARubicon
https://bettersaferadio.com/wouxun-kg-uv9gx-gmrs-two-way-radio-shtf-scanner/

1 Like

This video shows you how to unlock the UV-5R.

3 Likes

The stubby antenna for the baofang from amazon is not recommended by me, broke off first training session on a hike while in it’s holster. Just my 2 cents, I don’t know squat about then but my military buddies said it would be a good thing to have so I got a few

2 Likes

IIRC, They greatly lowered the requirements for HAM licenses. They even got rid of the Morse code section. I was looking at LoRa with 20km for low bandwidth network connectivity though.

2 Likes

Yeah I immediately replaced my rubber ducky antenna for a wire whip one.

3 Likes

Get a whip you can bend them in half when you need too. This is what we had in the military on our Prick77’s. They are pretty much indestructible.

2 Likes

Yeah I may get mine later. Just going to play with GMRS for a while. I think that will satisfy any needs I have. But yeah a HAM license would be better then you can play with the digital stuff.

2 Likes

If you want something that can take some abuse get this one.

If you want something that is a little better performing this one is highly rated.

2 Likes

I haven’t look at any of that stuff recently. HAM would be cool to have just for street creds. But I don’t see myself spending that much time with it. GMRS is probably better for SHTF, but I am not to the point where I am worried at that. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I just installed a remote antenna on the roof of the RV and that just made a huge difference. I could not pic up local NOAA channel and can hear it loud and clear now. This from inside before. Next will be to get a 40 amp booster and Ill be getting an even better tuned antenna next. This one has a mag base so this one will be for the truck later on.

1 Like

Do they still use that _ _ PRC-77 and RC-292? Swear I still have a square in my back from humpin it everwhere. My best emitters were dipoles cut for the exact freq. I got hold of some copper clad 14ga wire, plastic spoons as insulators.
Rindert

2 Likes

Thats what I had to carry back in the early 90’s; now they carry around tiny radios like we are buying.

2 Likes

This has been on my mind for quite a while. So glad to see it being discussed. My main concern is trying to find out what’s going on if the internet is shut down. What kind of access does GMRS provide and would something like this CB looking unit be superior to hand helds for range. Certainly not an overly expensive option.

3 Likes

I would also like to be less dependent of batteries as power sources. Some people cannot wear watches. I seem to drain batteries. I am lucky to get three years out of my Milwaukee tool batteries when other people I know get ten years and thousands of recharges.

2 Likes

These things can reach hundreds of miles, a typical CB will only reach a few miles at best and there are power limits.

The mobile units are a good way to go too. I was looking at them too but then discovered you can just get an amp that will give your hand helds the same power. Then all your eggs are not in one basket.

The batteries for these radios are cheap not like a power tool. Just get extra batteries.

3 Likes

If there were a repeater between us, we could reach each other. Im surprised we dont have them already on the sand dunes off lake Mich.

3 Likes

Ke8dcj’s ham shack

4 Likes

MURS frequencies 151.94, 151.88, 151.82 or blue dot 154.570 or green dot 154.600 are all license free VHF frequencies that you can set up your antennas for and practice putting your radios in action with.
I would buy the sma male to f type female for making a J pole antenna with. The UV5Rs can punch out to 12 miles with a good home made J pole on the 1/4 watt setting.
I used the National Park service antennas on Mt Horace Greeley to call Marquette with a Boarding on 1/4 watt. Thats a hundred air miles.

6 Likes